[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Modding question

Modding question

Real time World War II combat simulation

Modding question

Postby the-isz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:04 am

I'm goofing around with the demo and modding, seeing if I can create an Abrams M1A1. Got the graphics, size and speed down OK (btw - you're rotate tool is VERY handy), but have questions on some of the game specs/explanations...

For example, I modified one of the British tanks to play with:

ArmourHullFront=89@65
ArmourHullSide=76@90
ArmourHullRear=64@90
ArmourHullBottom=19
ArmourSuperFront=101@90
ArmourSuperSide=76@90
ArmourSuperRear=64@90
ArmourSuperTop=19
ArmourTurretFront=89@90
ArmourTurretSide=89@90
ArmourTurretRear=89@90
ArmourTurretTop=19

What is the __@__?

Crew=WEAPON_NONE, 0, no, 0, 0
Crew=WEAPON_LMG, 0, no, 2000, 0
Crew=WEAPON_CANNON, SHELL_75_QF, yes, 0, 87
Crew=WEAPON_TANK_FLAMETHROWER, 0, yes, 0, 300
Crew=WEAPON_NONE, 0, yes, 0, 0

Understand the weapon type, but not sure what the other specs are.

Lastly, there is data for gun specs (penetration, etc), but are there specs for example, flamethrower? LMG? Or is the specs listed above and I'm too thick to understand it? Being that it seemed to be calling a CLASS of weapons, I thought it might be indexed somewhere...but didn't see it.

btw, just a little side note...when modeling the M1A1, you really get a chance to see how big that sucker is compared to the tanks of WW2. 49 pixels! It's a monster in comparison.

Now if I can get a Bradley to shoot a TOW missile (bazooka)...then I'm really on to something.

:)
the-isz

Postby Andy Brown » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 am

Help files are your friends. Select "Help - Modifying Firefight" from the menu bar.

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Postby the-isz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:17 am

LOL. Oh good grief. Didn't even think about that.
Thanks.
the-isz

Postby the-isz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:08 am

Ok, learned a few things (playing with the mod to see if Firefight can go "modern" instead of ww2.

Unfortunately, it seems we can't mod the ammo, which is a bummer. Was hoping to figure out how I could create a modern version of a Javelin ATGM (carried by infantry units). Or perhaps a TOW.

Found out there is a way around it. Take a tank (or better yet now that I'm thinking of it, an anti-tank gun), mod THAT and give them an infantry graphic. Turn off the turret/turret graphics, etc, change the armor/size settings and you've got a ATGM unit. It's rough, but I think with more refinement, it could work. Only sad thing is - there's no missile smoke, but that at least gets me around using a bazooka unit, which from what I can see from the data - the penetration info of a bazooka is unknown. This way I can pick the cannon type/ammo. Interesting.

Ah well, still playing. Although it was entertaining to watch a prone HMG infantry unit race forward on their belly at 30KPH and begin firing a 120mm cannon! :)
the-isz

Postby Andy Brown » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:47 pm

Perhaps it's time Sean started work on a modern Firefight variant?
Andy Brown

Postby the-isz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:42 am

That's been my hope for some time.

Thinking more about it, it would be tough to do simply by modifiying the existing game/units, primarily because of thermal imaging and seeing through smoke. Can't do it currently, so simply creating an M1A1 out of a Sherman, for example, isn't terribly accurate.

However, I suppose you could mod it for, say, an early cold war scenario between UK/NATO pre-thermals. That would be mid 60's? Early 70s approximately? I've have to google thermal imaging to find out.

But yeah, especially now that the maps are larger, it would be nice to see this in a modern version.

Maybe with Sean's windfall from FFv4 he'll have more than enough funding to do it. :)
the-isz

Postby the-isz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:43 am

errr...meant to say USSR/NATO.

Not to upset our friends across the pond.
the-isz

Postby the-isz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:30 am

Did some playing with modern mods...

Created an M1A1. Modified graphics taken from Steel Beasts screenshots. Gave her a SHELL_75_m6 for the main cannon, along with a 50cal HMG and a LMG. Crew of 5.

Created an M2 Bradley. Modified graphics taken from Steel Beasts screenshots. Gave her a SHELL_20_L55 for her main cannon. To represent TOW missiles, I gave her a SHELL_122_D25 (massive gun) with only 8 rounds. Course, whatever it hits, it'll kill. Only problem is, you hope it doesn't take pot shots at infantry. Also gave her a LMG. Crew of 3.

Just for fun, created a HMMWV with a TOW missile turret. Used same specs for the Bradley's TOW. Gave it a high top speed in the open (I think around 120kph), but almost nothing in armor. Crew of 2.

Played the demo and goofed around with the 3 different modern vehicles. It actually played out surprisingly well. The M1A1 was obviously invicible, but the Bradleys could get taken out if hit in the rear and the HMMWVs were great for dashing in, firing, and dashing out before getting shot at...otherwise they were dead.

There's still the lack of thermal imaging for smoke but it's definitely playable. Actually, because the modern vehicles are so lethal, a little smoke would be a good thing...even if it's inaccurate.

Now, if I could only load up the Bradley's with troops...
ah well, next version.

Until then, looks like I'll be buying v4.
the-isz

Heh... M1 easier to add than a T-35?

Postby Fenris » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:12 am

Wouldn't surprise me if it were easier to support modern AFVs later on than it would be to support non-anachronistic oddballs like the five-turreted T-35 (1x76.2L16, 2x either 37mm or 45mm/L46, 2x mg !).

Thankfully, the T-35 not appearing isn't very ahistorical, either, given how few were constructed.
Fenris

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:42 pm

if your still wondering about the whole __@__ i assume the second is the angle of the surface, think its from the horizontal, but not sure whether its towards or away from the tank (100 leaning out???)
________
Andy

Return to Firefight