Some Bugs, and Mod's which would be nice in future version

Real time World War II combat simulation
cpn

Some Bugs, and Mod's which would be nice in future version

Post by cpn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Sean,

Loving Firefight... lots of fun. There are a couple of bugs I've seen (I'll try to be as specific as I can), and some changes that might make the game more compelling.

BUGS

--Sometimes in the control panel, the last listed squad is listed twice. I've had two "Squad 16's" listed several times. Clicking on either representation takes you to that squad, so it's not huge, but it was a tad confusing. I've been playing the Germans in Belgium and then North Africa and I've seen this a few times in the one campaign. Running W98, on a PIII laptop.

--In one game in Italy, the stone fences around the houses were arrayed in some odd shapes, including going over the road and through part of a house. These fences are "loopy" shaped, perhaps those artistic Italians? This was in the 1.8.1943 Americans vs. Germans assault taking Hill 1009.

-- In a North Africa campaign 10.6.1940, I lost the movement/direction control line for one of the tanks. It just disappeared. At the moment I don't recall if it came back, but I think it did later.

-- The Artillery oval will disappear. Does this mean that the Artillery has stopped shelling? Or is it a bug?

-- When the Artillery has fired, the oval will read "Fire for effect". What does this mean? Do I have to do something, such as press [Fire]? It wasn't explained in the Help or Rules.

-- You should mention that you can press the [ESC] button to cancel a fire order sightline.

-- And perhaps mention also that a squad won't show a firing sightline when it runs out of ammo, particularly the mortars.

-- For units on hills, the sightlines can still be blocked by trees that are below the hill, and wouldn't really block the shot -- particularly if the squad is shooting to the top of another hill, or high ground, or open space.

MODS and some thoughts on improvements.

-- The biggest one that comes to mind is that you really have to sit and wait until the enemy or their big guns or tanks fire to be able to determine their positions. Perhaps there's a way for the "muzzle flash" to last a touch longer... a trace of the shot source, perhaps a fading ring around the point from where it "appeared" emanate (which could be erroneous at first, but more accurate as troops moved in).
Early in the game, certainly, you have no idea where their troops are positioned, but as your troops and tanks get closer, you should be able to see where they are positioned a little better. Tanks, when they are directly on top of a shooting enemy, can't see their position unless that enemy unit gets up to flee.
Also, when squads are pinned down and refuse your orders to move forward, it's not clear why, or where the enemy they are hiding from is positioned. These squads should eventually be able to identify where the shots are coming from and radio this back to the HQ team. E.g. North Africa 10.6.1940. If the squads can see enough to fire at the enemy by themselves, it should be more or less clear to HQ where the enemy is.
And generally in the desert campaigns, the enemy is impossible to see... whereas it should be the opposite... sand providing little cover beyond hills.

-- Related, it would be good to actually see the enemy hardware once they've been hit.. instead of just smoking points, we should be able to see exactly what was hit... tank or gun or other. Similarly, it would be cool to see enemy men that have died due to mortar fire or artillery shelling.

-- One should be able to move around the screen when the game is paused.

-- Would be cool to change the game speed.

-- Would be cool to be able to move your squad order around in the control panel listing. Perhaps just during game set up.

-- Would be nice to have troops following your orders regardless.. Such as in a situation where they would have a great shot at the enemy, but they don't do it because they are apparently pinned, or scared, or being shelled. I've several times tried to get troops to move so they don't keep getting shelled, but they refuse, and die because of it.

I'll do more bug research and try to accurate pinpoint them. Let me know what factors are important to relate (ie. does the campaign date help? the two sides? etc.)

Cheers! Hope this helps.
And thanks much for a fun game.
Neil

n4corcoran4@4speakeasy4.net
(remove the four 4's)

Greatgraddage

Post by Greatgraddage » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Hey, I'm not sean but maybe I could help!

I've never noticed the first bug but I rarely havd lots of squads. I've seen the odd fences from time to time but not often. I've never lost the movement arrow either.

The artillary oval will dissapear when it has fired 3 positioning rounds and three full barrages. When is dissapears the only rounds which will fall are the ones that have aleady been fired, no more. Which type is fired next is shown by the text, fire for effect menas that the next rounds will be the full barrage.

I agree the help file needs a bit of work. I could have a go if you'd like sean?

I'll write more later, got to go out!
Firefight... Those were the days.....

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:45 am

I've had the line disappearing "bug". I think it's simply a case of you deploying a unit in a building or some such, and them not moving right to the windows to see out... or they're pinned and the firing lines disappear because they won't return fire. I've never watched carefully enough.

Spotting the enemy does seem to be insanely hard sometimes, when it shouldn't be... but if this area is touched it should be with great care as this is one of the best elements of the game.

cpn

Post by cpn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:11 pm

Greatgraddage -- thanks for the artillery info.. very helpful, thanks. Once an HE barrage has started, can you safely switch either locations or to smoke and the original barrage will continue through? For example, once the Fire for Effect msg appears, can you relocate the oval without interrupting the barrage in progress? That would be nice.

Quitch -- As I play more, the "invisible enemy" componant seems more important and valuable to the play. I agree that any tweaking should be done with much care. Perhaps hardware that is out in the open is eventually seen, but hardware in forests remains invisible until you are on top of it. Although - and unless some of the military historians on this board disagree - I still think hardware, and eventually troop positions in the desert should be more obvious.

Sean -- This is my new addiction. I am still trying to triangulate the firing line disappearing act, I'm sure that it happened again, but I couldn't isolate it. It didn't seem to be an obstruction in the field of fire though.
Please take all my mod suggestions with the most constructive, friendly tone possible.

And thanks again for a fun game.

Greatgraddage

Post by Greatgraddage » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Nope, you only have enogh artillery in support to fire one barrage at a time. Once the last barrage has fired (You'll get the message and the circle will dissapear), then you can start aiming a new barrage and the last one will still land, but if you start a new barrage before that the old one will stop.
Firefight... Those were the days.....

qwas

Re: Some Bugs, and Mod's which would be nice in future versi

Post by qwas » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:13 am

cpn wrote:Sean,

BUGS

--Sometimes in the control panel, the last listed squad is listed twice. I've had two "Squad 16's" listed several times. Clicking on either representation takes you to that squad, so it's not huge, but it was a tad confusing. I've been playing the Germans in Belgium and then North Africa and I've seen this a few times in the one campaign. Running W98, on a PIII laptop.

--In one game in Italy, the stone fences around the houses were arrayed in some odd shapes, including going over the road and through part of a house. These fences are "loopy" shaped, perhaps those artistic Italians? This was in the 1.8.1943 Americans vs. Germans assault taking Hill 1009.

-- In a North Africa campaign 10.6.1940, I lost the movement/direction control line for one of the tanks. It just disappeared. At the moment I don't recall if it came back, but I think it did later.

-- The Artillery oval will disappear. Does this mean that the Artillery has stopped shelling? Or is it a bug?

-- When the Artillery has fired, the oval will read "Fire for effect". What does this mean? Do I have to do something, such as press [Fire]? It wasn't explained in the Help or Rules.

Cheers! Hope this helps.
And thanks much for a fun game.
Neil

n4corcoran4@4speakeasy4.net
(remove the four 4's)

OK, the double 16 bug happens to me too when I have 16 squads, I am playing a campaign in Northen France, In the rules, it says "Fire for Effect" is a part of the fire, this happens automatically.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Tim_Myth

Post by Tim_Myth » Tue May 31, 2005 11:29 am

fire for effect
(NATO) 1. Fire which is delivered after the mean point of impact or burst is within the desired distance of the target or adjusting/ranging point. 2. Term in a call for fire to indicate the adjustment/ranging is satisfactory and fire for effect is desired.

In other words, your artillery has the range right, now they just need to saturate that area with shells.

A modification I would like to see is in the campaign mode. Make my future forces contingent upon reinforcements and the results of the last battle. For example, heavily wounded guys become lightly wounded in the next battle, and dead guys are only replaced by reinforcements. Another way this could be handled would be to have a limited pool of units to draw from. For example, I might start the campaign with 4 Valentines in my pool, but after losing two in a battle, I only have two available for future battles until my pool is refreshed. You can also modify the amount of reinforcements by my overall command rating, so if I did very poor on the last battle, I get fewer reinforcements for the next one.

Just my $.02.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:40 pm

to move the order of the squads around, its important to notice that the the order is the order they are bought it - if you want field guns at the top, sell the things below it and buy the tanks again, a bit long winded but it gets it done.

i get the 2 squad 16s, solve this by clicking the scroll up bar once, the second squad miraculously dissappears.... :roll:

it is annoying not being able to find the enemies big guns, or even mortars which are a pet hate of mine, takes a bit of watching and a lot of patience to see where the pink pixel come from, but when i find it i nail it with HE and my own mortars, it seem to work well :lol:

you can see the enemy 'hardware' and corpses due to mortars and arty, but these stiffs only appear when you mosey on over to where they bought it

id like to say at this point i love the way blood splats out of corpses when shot, nice little detail

when the line dissapears, if the guys got his head under his arms, hes bricking it and wont move, ive had an SMG bayonetted by an enemy mortar crew and he didnt even see him, the two other guys in the recce squad seemed a bit surprised but slaughtered the stabbing bastard.
if hes looking about, hes out of ammo.

timmy, love the idea, would like see it

possible mods -
1) ammo runs, either a bloke from a squad goes back to HQ or something similar and back to his squad when theyve run out of ammo, or they radio back to HQ and someone goes up to the front with ammo.
2) when a squad goes out of radio contact, surely they would notice and go back to where they last had contact (once they'd reached their objective), or a runner from HQ dashes over, running regardless of enemy action, and asks them politely to come back so they can be heard, or even given orders.

would any mods be available as a patch for those of us whove bought the game already?

Tim_Myth

Post by Tim_Myth » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:41 am

I would LOVE the ability to either build my own infantry squads (i.e. a squad of 10 LMGs) or at the very least change the line up of the squad (i.e. move the one LMG in the squad to the LEFT side of the line up rather than always having him on the right).

PS - If you noticed, I used i.e. instead of IE! ;)