Morale (specifically tanks)

Real time World War II combat simulation
Tris

Morale (specifically tanks)

Post by Tris » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:39 am

Just got the complete package, three cheers for Sean :-) I had Critical mass many years ago, but couldn't remember my order details at all. I'd been waiting for Firefight for a long time, hoping matrix games would finally get around to doing something with it...so as I'm no longer a student I decided there was very little excuse for not having all the games.

So, I'm fighting my second battle, Russians on the defence against a German invader. I take the default selection, before realising I have one AT asset. So the poor T-26 gets to do his best for the motherland...

He takes out a PzIV, before going to duel a pair of P38(t)s. He barely manages to get shots off before they hit him a couple of times, and he runs away. I spend a while coaxing him back into battle, only to have the same result. After a couple more attempts, and a period where he won't fire at a short barrelled StuG, the tank commander decides that for the rest of the battle (a good 15 minutes) he will not move from his exact position.

Eventually I get bored and retreat, but as I held up the Hun for an hour I get told I'm not to be sent to Siberia after all. But the behaviour of the tank confused me. I get that he was panicked/broken. But he refused to advance against enemy that would have real difficulty penetrating his armour. Does the morale effect of hits against tanks differ based on how potentially lethal they are, or are all hits equally scary?

Fantastic game though.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Ok...I really need help with this. I just lost a duel with a P(38)t because my stupid tank decided one mortar round was enough, and it had to flee, rather than take side shots at the P(38)t. So it fled a bit, (the P(38)t was running too) then the enemy tank stopped and started firing at mine. Mine wouldn't fire back, and decided it was fully routed, and so wouldn't obey the order to retreat.

It took a lot of shots, and a lot of hits, but eventually the P(38)t got one shot through the armour. All the time my tank sat there refusing to retreat or return fire.

What am I doing wrong?

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:31 am

I was wondering about this. My French Souma 35 was more than a match for a Panzer35(t) and a Panzer38(t). They hit it from the front again and again, utterly failing to penetrate its armour, but it withdrew and then proceeded to sit where it was ignoring my orders.

Is this a reflection on the psychological impact of your tin can being hit by shells?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:55 am

Quitch wrote:I was wondering about this. My French Souma 35 was more than a match for a Panzer35(t) and a Panzer38(t). They hit it from the front again and again, utterly failing to penetrate its armour, but it withdrew and then proceeded to sit where it was ignoring my orders.

Is this a reflection on the psychological impact of your tin can being hit by shells?

Yes, my reasoning was that it would be exceptionally unpleasant being in a tank that is being hit by shells. As a wargamer we might know that it's very unlikely that one of the shells would penetrate the armour but in real life I think you'd sh*t your pants.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:36 am

I did note however that while it backed off, it didn't actually get out of the line of fire or into cover, it just moved further away.

Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:06 pm

I have noticed though that tanks are particularly difficult to control. For example, if a tank spots an AT unit of any kind, it won't move until that unit has been taken out. That often, in my games at least, means that the tanks just sit there firing long range shells and missing it for the rest of the game. You can't move them around and behind the AT or tank, or generally manoeuvre them to flank, engage or do anything other than sit and chuck bricks.

Also, if I order a tank to retreat as I can see a whole mess of stuff coming at him, he'll generally faff around for a good minute, slowly revolving until eventually he gets one between the eyes. I'm practically screaming at him to follow the arrow back but he seems all confused.

Are tanks meant to difficult to control?