[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Why doesn't the AI use all of their troops?

Why doesn't the AI use all of their troops?

Real time World War II combat simulation

Why doesn't the AI use all of their troops?

Postby usmc.61 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 am

Sometimes, I will win a game only killing 15-20 enemy troops. Then I look around the map, and they have another 15 troops clustered in different spots. Why don't they ever counter attack?
usmc.61

Postby the space predator » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:45 am

They watch, and protect a spot. But normaly, when AI see that the main attack is launched, all unused ennemy troop came in reinforcement.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby usmc.61 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 am

In all of the games I have played, the enemy forces have NEVER tried to retake the objective.
usmc.61

Postby Knut » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 am

I think you have a point, but I've seldom had it as bad as you. Usually I find that the enemy will "fall back" towards the HQ once my troops have bypassed them and are pressing towards the obj. Sometimes however, the game will end and the enemies troops will have sat in a farmhouse on the side of the map never having fired a shot.\

I have two theories. One is that the AI will have their troops that actually "see" your troops, but that were never in range to fire at them, pull back to the obj once you have bypassed them, but leaving troops that were "over the hill" and out of sight of the assault to remain where they are.

The second is somewhat related, as that perhaps it is possible that the enemy troops that are out of radio contact with their HQ cannot then be recalled from their position.

I find playing "lowlands" missions often gets the greatest movement of enemy troops "falling back" to their HQ, and forests/Hilly often the least.
Knut

Postby TheKangaroo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 am

Loss of radio contact would be my guess, too. Considering the objective is always somewhere in the center the HQ either is on one of the far flanks obviously losing contact to the other side or being killed in your charge.
TheKangaroo

Postby the space predator » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Destruction of the ennemy's HQ didn't make us win?
the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:05 am

TheKangaroo

Postby usmc.61 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:13 am

This is what I'm talking about. These are both from the same game.
usmc.61

Postby Knut » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah, I've had that happen. I suspect that like I said, it's somehow terrain related, either to the radio contact thing (they couldn't receive orders to paull back), or the line of sight thing (they were too far away or badly positioned to see your troops move to their rear). I notice that the squad highlighted in your first image, the one closest to the fighting and their HQ, does in fact look like they are moving towards their HQ, and if the game ran for another couple minutes, I'm sure you'd have started to receive fire from them.
Knut

Postby Newsparta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:00 am

I agree with the whole loss of radio contact thing, but i also think that in a defensive mission it could be something like that unit is tasked to defend that area or flank and even though they see your guys, they don't want to fall back because you could have sent a flanking squad and they would have just let it through their lines without a fight.
Newsparta

Postby the space predator » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:29 pm

It can be better if AI units don't need radio contact.
the space predator

Postby TheKangaroo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

TheKangaroo

Postby the space predator » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 am

the space predator

Postby Legacy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:02 pm

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him."

Don't take life too seriously, you won't make it out alive!
Legacy

Postby Andy Brown » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 am

Andy Brown

Next

Return to Firefight