[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - 16! That seems a little limiting

16! That seems a little limiting

Real time World War II combat simulation

16! That seems a little limiting

Postby Fighter_Ace » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:46 am

I think that 16 for a max amount of units is a little annoying! If I want more troops instead of tanks and other costly stuff, I have to stop at 16 units and have two choices. (1) Sell some units back and force myself to buy some more expensive stuff, or (2) waste a whole lot of money by stopping at 16 cheap units with all that money left over :? . In REAL life, the only limit on the amount of units you have is as much as you can afford. This really bugs me :x ! What are other peoples' thoughts :idea: ?
Last edited by Fighter_Ace on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Andywoolnough » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:44 am

I kinda agree, within reason. The game seems to be very resource hungry - for example, four/five infantry units will be needed to provide cover while you edge one forward to attack a hill. That's usually half your infantry, plus a couple of mortors and a tank and that's way over half your force taken up by what usually turns out to be just four enemies. Also, your guys tend to die from accurate enemy fire more readily than you manage to get the badies so it would be quite nice to have a bit more to play with.

I'm on campaign mode (yep, still in the desert, yawn) and I'm still with a Lieutenant. Does your rank go up, and if so, does your spending power/size of force? If not, that might be an option - you earn your promotions using the usual points/resources, but as you rate superb consistently, you gain promotions occasionally and therefore more forces?

Quick gripe - vision. I had four units staring at a German-shaped hole in the desert and they still didn't see him until he opened up. They were on top of the guy. Surely that's taking it too far! :?
Andywoolnough

16 is plenty

Postby spiegel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:43 am

Although I agree in principal that it would be nice to play a horde, let's face facts: this is a real-time simulation with no hotkeys and no "group units" function. Heck, if you want to fire you mortars, you have to go look at the far edge of the field where you hide 'em before it will let you move to the part of the screen where that nasty artillery piece is. My wrist already ets tired from all of the click-drags!

Add another five units and the game would be unmanageable. You'd get seasick from all of the screen-dancing while you tried to react to that sudden pop-up of five infantrymen by your Looey. Firefight is an excellent game, but recognize the limitations of it. mMn

Besides, so far as the British in North Africa, the "superb" strategy seems to be to go with a recon unit or three, an HMG or two, *maybe* a mortar, then as much armor as you can afford. (I start the buy with the armor and work backwards.)

I move up my recons until the bad guy exposes his anti-tank guns, take those out with off-board artillery and massed fire from my armored fighting vehicles (AFVs), then make squishy sounds with my treads. Lots of my missions last <10 minutes, and I never have enough cash for more than eleven units even though I am buying infantry in 4-man counters or less. Usually, it's my leader, 3-5 AFV, an HMG and 2-3 recons = 8-10 units.

meiner Meinung nach
spiegel

Re: 16 is plenty

Postby Fighter_Ace » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 pm

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby TheKangaroo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am

TheKangaroo

Re: 16 is plenty

Postby qwas » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:04 am

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:50 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 am

what about being able to group units and have hotkey access to them (0-9). it would be useful and allow better comined use of tanks and infantry, especially in the desert. also a thought ive just had - could maybe 3 guys sit ontop of a tank? it would at least give an excuse to MG a tank :lol:
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby sid6.7 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:46 pm

sid6.7

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Fighter_Ace

Postby Fighter_Ace » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Fighter_Ace

Postby sid6.7 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:59 pm

sid6.7

Postby Garnier » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:38 pm

Garnier

Postby Fighter_Ace » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:57 pm

Fighter_Ace

Postby Quitch » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Quitch

Next

Return to Firefight