Vietnam Mod (Now ready for download)

Real time World War II combat simulation
welk

Vietnam Mod (Now ready for download)

Post by welk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 am

3 little house rules allow to the player to use new units vs IA (supply, medical and reinfort officers)

And I introduced snipers (x2 in little groups) as ELITE with WEAPON_RIFLES. All other GI's are REGULAR with WEAPON_CARBINE (Vietcongs soldiers are REGULAR with WEAPON_RIFLES, to simulate the fact that they are more efficient in jungle combat than young green GI's)

Last edited by welk on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 am

I'm not sure what you're doing there, or how you're doing it, but those helos flying low over the battlefield look AWESOME.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 am

I don't understand how it will work exactly, but it seem very good! :shock:
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

welk

Post by welk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 am

This Vietnam mod will adapt all the game to Vietnam war. First, Us human side vs IA Vietminh (guerilla infantry without guns and tanks), and in second time, I will perhaps add a North vietnam regular army oob (with AA weapons, guns, tanks)

The reason of this mod : I noticed that the game engine is more adapted to guerilla wars than to "regular war (I observed that the IA tactics are very oft to attacks in a place, and then go away, and then attack again, etc)

The helicos (Huey, OH-6A, CH-34 dog, etc) are in fact armored units with new special icon + special speed parameters :

MaximumSpeedRoad=999
MaximumSpeedRough=999

Helicos have HMG, phosphore grenades and napalm. They are very fast, dangerous and efficient to search and destroy vietminh squads or to do reco operations. Logistic helicos (medical, supply, Command) have now their special place with house rules : these rules complicate the work of USside (human side) vs Vietminh IA : units with heavy casualties are less efficient because human player have to use medical and command unit to "rally" these units (see house rules above). So, in battle, the human player have to limit casualties. If he does not, the risk is that his units become unawailable on the battlefield without medical and command support . But medical and command support has a price in the oob, and you can not buy a lot of command and medical units without accept to have less fighting units in operation...

The us side must also take care to ammunition stock of his units : if not, he will have to use "ammo" unit to be able to give new fire orders (house rules)

I have to use some little house rules, waiting Mister Johnson Sean O'Connors reinforcements in Vietnam :P

The mod works fine. I will upload it somewhere when it was finished

welk

Post by welk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 pm

New look for Villages, dry and low country maps in Vietnam + new look for men in cover (not blue circle like running men, but green or yellow or red bordure, depending of their status : in cover with ordinary weapons or mortars(green), in cover with bazookas,HMG,KLMG or flame (yellow), or suppressed(red). Helicos have now a white bordure, to better see them in Jungle.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Wasn't max speed of Uh-1 217?

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 am

That looks brilliant!

Does this mean you know how to modify the game mechanics and AI?

Your graphics stuf is great.

Just one thing. Ther should be French colonial forces too. :lol: :lol:
Voila du boudin!

welk

Post by welk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Perturabo : sorry, my english is poor, I do not undertand what is your question. Could you do precision ?

J.Boule : No change in the engine and IA. But I use some little tips and they work fine :P

I thought initialy for French colonial forces too, but I choiced Us oob because there is greater panel of units

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

welk wrote:Perturabo : sorry, my english is poor, I do not undertand what is your question. Could you do precision ?
These helicopters can't fly 999km/h in Real Life.

welk

Post by welk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes, but this tip was the only way to force them to move very fast in comparison of ground vehicles. And that, it is realistic :P
I prefer unrealistic parameters and realistic game than realistic parameters and unrealistic game, with slow helicos.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 pm

have you try whit realistic parameter (217 km/h)?
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

welk

Post by welk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:28 pm

No :oops: But I will have to do : I have 4 or 5 kind of helicos, and I will have to calibrate their respective speed.

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:04 am

I think Sean would have to mod the HMG abilities to give them some AP ability (like 5mm) to make a suitable defense against helos. That or develop the 20mm autocannon that we've been wanting him to do for a long time.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 pm

And different reload speed for guns while we're at it.

Knut

Post by Knut » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:38 am

How do you open and change the Readme files? Where are they at?