[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Time: The Ultimate Weapon (defense change requests)

Time: The Ultimate Weapon (defense change requests)

Real time World War II combat simulation

Time: The Ultimate Weapon (defense change requests)

Postby spiegel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:12 am

I have discovered a foolproof method for defeating all enemies without firing a single shot: time. If you are the defender and have reached the point where you have reduced the attacker below the point of having a viable force for assaulting your position, all you have to do is wait. And wait. And wait. If the attacker doesn't run madly onto your position abandoning all care for his own well-being, you can defeat him by letting him die of old age.

I had the scenario basically won after about 35 minutes once my valiant flamethrower guy torched 5 of the Bosch AFVs by his lonesome. It took another hour+ for the computer to realize this fact, however, which took a serious chunk out of my game session. I did not play it out. I turned the sound and monitor off (and, after finding out that it kept Firefight from working, the screensaver) and went to read my book.

If you think that I am taking too long to get to the suggestions, then you have some idea how I felt about waiting for the scenario to end. I can't believe that no one has griped about defense before now. Maybe everyone is sticking with the Axis in early war and Ally in the later stages so they can play attacker?

1) there should be a menu option to make the computer project the outcome--essentially to play both sides until the end--and an "Accept this projection? Y/N" prompt.

**Ideally, this would report the win/loss result, the general statistics on deaths, surrenders, kills, etc. It would not necessarily give the ranking or details (i.e., "superb," etc., and "length of assault," "major/minor force"). A player could accept the result with the reported statistics then learn of his ranking (AND whether his leader died), then go on to the next scenario.**

2) During setup, it should be possible to see the field of fire for each unit.

**It's a real pain when you accept the computer placement of a field artillery unit and then learn (after the scenario begins and you can press the "fire button" to see where it can shoot) that a shrub blocks 40% of the probable attack axis. As you can't move a gun after scenario start, this version of howitzer-roulette makes me eschew artillery in favor of an armored fighting vehicle even when I need two AT weapons to defend an approach. The same objection holds true to a lesser extent for movable units. Even if I were placing my artillery by map (as reasonably represented by the game), the corporal by the gun could either tell me, "Sir, the cliff here is a steep enough grade that we can't actually place the gun where you said," or he could cut down the shrubs locking line of fire without bothering me. Oh, and this is particularly true when a shrub blocks line of fire just as effectively as a stone obstruction (i.e., anything that blocks line of sight blocks line of fire, too).**

And while you're at it, add network play...
spiegel

Re: Time: The Ultimate Weapon (defense change requests)

Postby Greatgraddage » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:36 pm

Greatgraddage

Re: Time: The Ultimate Weapon (defense change requests)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:50 pm

Postby Greatgraddage » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:40 am

Greatgraddage

Another quick way to win - assaults

Postby holmgang » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:33 am

Get rid of all your infantry, and purchase only tanks. Hopefully you should have 5 or 6.

Once you start the game, move all tanks' markers to the enemy flag, and then wait. Perhaps the enemy will take out one or two, but chances are you'll get at least three tanks on the flag, and you win in about 6 minutes, or less.

Not sure how this could be modified.'

Best.
holmgang

Postby spiegel » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:54 pm

You misread, I believe. I specifically said "defense," in which case the enemy has no flag.
spiegel

Postby qwas » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:20 pm

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby spiegel » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:33 pm

spiegel

you weren't waiting on the computer player

Postby spiegel » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:55 pm

spiegel

Return to Firefight