Suggestion: ID of destroyed enemy units

Real time World War II combat simulation
ryben

Suggestion: ID of destroyed enemy units

Post by ryben » Sun May 15, 2011 2:05 pm

I?m new to Firefight and making my way through the game.

I find confusing to know the status of the battle. While the player knows the status of his forces, there is no info about the enemy destroyed units.

As far as i know you can only see a column of smoke where an enemy tank or gun have been destroyed but clicking over it doesn?t give any info about it.

I would like to know what i?ve just knocked out as there may be more lurking around!!!

Sometimes i finish a battle and, in the results window, i discover that i?ve destroyed some guns or vehicles...and i didn?t was aware of their presence. I know the essence of the game i the "fog of war" but many times i don?t have a clue of what?s happening and what i?m fighting against.

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Mon May 16, 2011 12:27 am

if you clic on "view" and then on "troop statut", you will be able to know who kill what in your troop. It's not a perfect precision but it can provide you good info.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Knut

Post by Knut » Fri May 20, 2011 4:49 am

I'd like to add that it would be nice to see all kills credited to members of your squads. As it is, only "confirmed" kills that occur under observation show up in the kill totals for your troops. Enemy soldiers that are killed blindly don't show up. You notice this at the end of the game when all of the enemy dead is revealed, but it doesn't change the kill totals for your troops.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Fri May 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Do you happen to know how that behaves if you troops discover bodies of enemies killed without clear visual while the mission's still running?

Knut

Post by Knut » Sat May 21, 2011 2:10 am

It would be useful so that you would know how many your troops killed vs. how many your arty barrage killed.

Andy Brown

Re: Suggestion: ID of destroyed enemy units

Post by Andy Brown » Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 pm

ryben wrote:I would like to know what i?ve just knocked out as there may be more lurking around!!!

I've always thought that one of the beauties of Firefight is that you don't know. You have to guess/assess by the amount of return fire.

After the game, if I want to find out what I was up against, I start a new game using the same mission number and reverse the difficulty setting, type of battle setting and swap the nationalities.

So if I've just played game 1234567, June 1944, Attack, Hard, me US, enemy Germans, I start a game 1234567, June 1944, Defend, Easy, me Germans, enemy US.

The "suggested force" generated by the system before purchase in the "reversed" game will be the force you've just fought against.

Also, if you save a game during setup, run it and immediately order "Retreat", you can see the location of the enemy troops. I do this a lot after a battle is over to see how the enemy was deployed.

Knut, I add up all the kills creditied to my soldiers, vehicles and guns and subtract that from total enemy dead. I assume the difference is artillery kills.

Cheers,

Andy

Knut

Post by Knut » Sun May 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm not sure that counting up your credited kills (subtract) total enemy dead really equals arty kills. for example, you know how at the end of the game a bunch of enemy bodies will pop up and be "revealed?" Well, I've noticed that sometimes they are in areas where there are no arty strikes, or only infantry was fighting, etc. I'm also not sure that an "unknown" enemy tank will be revealed at all, let alone credited to the respective tank killer.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 am

I've always assumed that the "system" credits a kill to whoever fired the fatal shot, whether or not he was firing at a target he could see or a muzzle flash.

Unspotted dead units appear when someone spots them or at the end of the game but I've never thought credit for killing them wasn't awarded to the killer.

I could easily be wrong, of course ...

My reason for thinking that the difference between total enemy dead and the sum of kills credited to friendly units is artillery casualties is the fact that friendly soldiers killed by arty are listed as having been killed by it.

Sean, any comment ... ?

Andy

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon May 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Knut wrote:I'm not sure that counting up your credited kills (subtract) total enemy dead really equals arty kills. for example, you know how at the end of the game a bunch of enemy bodies will pop up and be "revealed?" Well, I've noticed that sometimes they are in areas where there are no arty strikes, or only infantry was fighting, etc. I'm also not sure that an "unknown" enemy tank will be revealed at all, let alone credited to the respective tank killer.

But how do you know which of the bodies you see is a credited kill or not?

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue May 24, 2011 5:47 am

TheKangaroo wrote:
Knut wrote:I'm not sure that counting up your credited kills (subtract) total enemy dead really equals arty kills. for example, you know how at the end of the game a bunch of enemy bodies will pop up and be "revealed?" Well, I've noticed that sometimes they are in areas where there are no arty strikes, or only infantry was fighting, etc. I'm also not sure that an "unknown" enemy tank will be revealed at all, let alone credited to the respective tank killer.

But how do you know which of the bodies you see is a credited kill or not?

1. I've actually paid pretty cloe attention to this a few times when I have a unit isolated from adjoining crossfire, and kept track of kills that appear during the ff (only for when you see an actual enemy killed and their corpse appears). Then, after the battle ends a couple more bodies appear in the same area, undoubtably from the same unit, but no additional kills appear.

2. Number of credited kills does not add up with number of corpses that appear. (This is somewhat trickier when you use arty, but sometimes for the challenge, I don't call in any supporting fire: the enemy suffers 55 killed in the end stats, but only 32 bodies appear in my troops kill stats)

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 pm

I see. Looks like you got it tested out thoroughly then.