[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Enemy always get to fire first.

Enemy always get to fire first.

Real time World War II combat simulation

Enemy always get to fire first.

Postby JeanBoule » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 am

I make this statement hoping anyone else will be able to refute it.

I was reminded of the problem when Knut asked

"So ever have the perfect ambush set up with enemy troops advancing directly across an open field towards your line?"

I had a defense map where there was a canal crossing the map ("lowlands" always seems to have this). I set up a section on a hill south of the canal, hoping they would be able to get a good few kills as the enemy infantry were slowed down in crossing.

It didn't work at all. I never saw the enemy crossing. They came close to my section, flooded them with fire, pinned them so they hardly fired back at all, and quickly overwhelmed them.

My attackers never seem to quickly overwhelm anyone, but that is another story. While considering this situation, I realized, that I never see the enemy approaching in the open, so that my troops get to fire first, with the advantages that gives.

I am talking infantry here. If the enemy are attacking with AFVs, I will often see them first.
Voila du boudin!
JeanBoule

Postby Andy Brown » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:26 am

Quick response as I'm pushed for time.

Did you check LoS to your desired kill zone? I've often been caught out by the shape of the top of a hill. I've deployed my troops thinking they can see everything when the shape of the hilltop prevents them from seeing targets at close and medium ranges.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby the space predator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Personally, I have been able to do very good ambush. Many time, especially in lowland and in jungle, my men where the first to shoot. In most of the game that I have play, defender was the first to shoot.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.
the space predator

Postby Andy Brown » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Agreed. I've managed some pretty good ambushes in my time as well.

Mind you, I've also mucked up a few. One trap is that I think a unit will only open fire if a certain percentage of its soldiers can engage the target. Several times I've seen enemy squads moving across the front of one of my units without being engaged. When I check LoS, it turns out that only one or two soldiers from my unit can actually see the enemy.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Brown

Return to Firefight