Is anyone still interested in this game?

Real time World War II combat simulation
JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:39 am

Knut posted a thread and I did not reply to it for some time because I waited to see if anyone else would.

Frankly I think it is pretty much a waste of time, because feedback has had almost no effect on the game.

I can't think of any real improvements that have been made since I have been playing. Oh wow we have fractal hills but I don't see how they are better and some players say they are worse.

I find this a great pity because I have not found a better game, but this is because it is just about the only one of its type.

It could be so much better if developed.

your disillusioned fan, Jean Boule
Voila du boudin!

Knut

Post by Knut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 am

The crawling infantry was a nice improvement. It was pretty recent, and introduced by Sean without fanfare.

Sean has said he doesn't have mush time for the game since it does not sell very well. I few changes, such as allowing internet H2H play might increase sales though.

As for "usual" group of forum visitors, it seems most people believe they have exhausted aspects of an unchanging game to talk about. The Vietnam mod made by a user was really cool with lots of possibilities, but he didn't get much support & feedback, and has disappeared.

I am still playing, but don't have a lot new to discuss other than repeating posts from wishlist, etc.

JeanBoule

Post by JeanBoule » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 am

Looks like NOT then.

I am still playing too, but only because there is nothing else like it.
Voila du boudin!

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Sorry. Not been around much, just too many other things and too little time. I'm still interested in the game, still playing my old campaign now and then, but definitely not as much as I used to. The way it seems, though, it's a general problem recently, the forums as a whole seem to have been very quiet, and I guess the same five or so people popping their heads in now and then aren't really a big deal in sales, even if the suggestions are good.
From what I gathered Sean seems to be getting into that whole 'App' market a bit now; might be just where the money is and also doing something new might just be more interesting than to keep tinkering with the old games all the time.

V4LDEZ

Post by V4LDEZ » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:09 am

New player here :3
Stumbled upon this game recently and cant seem to let it go. Ive been homing my skills on the demo so far, but after doing the research, hearing it from all you guys, it really makes me want to shoot Sean some support here. Well done man, lol. So, yeah, looking forward to the full version...
-Pvt :D

spillblood

Re:

Post by spillblood » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:06 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:From what I gathered Sean seems to be getting into that whole 'App' market a bit now; might be just where the money is and also doing something new might just be more interesting than to keep tinkering with the old games all the time.

Yeah, he's told me via Facebook that he's thinking of doing an iPad version of Firefight, and that updates on the game he introduces in that version will filter back into the PC version (I've asked if he's planning updates on Firefight and Critical Mass, because these are the two games in his collection I like the most). I pretty much bought the whole collection because of Firefight.
If he'd add a bit more variety, for example urban combat, multiple objectives or other stuff, Firefight would be simply one of the best WW2 tactical games.
It's good that the forums are back online, that'll reenable communication inside the community and mod discussion here.

TheKangaroo

Re: Is anyone still interested in this game?

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:00 am

It's good that the forums are back online, that'll reenable communication inside the community and mod discussion here.

This. I've been missing y'all.

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm

I still play too and would love to see a further version released. :)

tamorrison

Post by tamorrison » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes, I play it quite a bit. I actually like it more than more expensive games like Starcraft II because 1) I can mod it, and 2) it's more realistic.

Satirical Nick

Post by Satirical Nick » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 pm

I love this game. I hope sean gets back to the developers seat for it.

joewoods

Post by joewoods » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:05 pm

As compared to realistic gaming this is not that good but still like a bit...

tamorrison

Post by tamorrison » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Well, it is more realistic than most other games. Mr. O'Connor has done a good job researching armor thicknesses and angles, armor penetration of various weapons, the effects of troops quality and morale. Compare that to more expensive games like Command & Conquer and Starcraft. The only comparable game that comes to my mind is Advanced Squad Leader, which is a board game with a large list of rules -- very realistic, but not as playable. Of course, people want more, but Firefight is well done.

spillblood

Post by spillblood » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 pm

UberMoo wrote:I still play too and would love to see a further version released. :)

Absolutely. It should gain some more attention from strategy gamers.

tamorrison

Post by tamorrison » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:10 am

I wonder...

I understand that Mr. O'Connor is a one-man show and is focused on the more profitable games, but I think that maybe if the game had an open game license (OGL) for player-designed mods, he could harness the imaginations and industry of his many fans, which would increase the overall popularity of the game. Paizo did the same for their version of Dungeons and Dragons and it was a smash hit.

As one businessman put it, "Would you rather have the benefit of 100% of your efforts, or 1% of 100 people's efforts?" The answer, of course, to harness the power of the mass. If one has 100% of one's own efforts, there is no room for growth, whereas if one has 1% of 100 people's efforts, one can always expand to get 1% of 200 people's efforts, etc.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am

tamorrison wrote:Well, it is more realistic than most other games. Mr. O'Connor has done a good job researching armor thicknesses and angles, armor penetration of various weapons, the effects of troops quality and morale. Compare that to more expensive games like Command & Conquer and Starcraft. The only comparable game that comes to my mind is Advanced Squad Leader, which is a board game with a large list of rules -- very realistic, but not as playable. Of course, people want more, but Firefight is well done.

What's the point of comparing a real time simulation game with real time strategy games? RTS like Command & Conquer and Starcraft are derivatives of turn based strategic-level games - hence they have production and vague units.

I'd compare Firefight to:
Close Combat series - Close Combat differs from Firefight in that it has more advanced graphics, various terrain types, pre-made maps, custom weapon types and more soldier info. The downside is a bad pathfinding and a horrible AI.
Armored Brigade - Armored Brigade differs from Firefight in that it has much more flexible size (platoon to brigade, maps are 2kmx2km to 15kmx15km), ability to zoom out and zoom in view, some special effects like turrets sometimes falling off, infantry units are presented as units with a specific amount of soldiers which don't exist as separate entities, various terrain types, pre-made maps, command delays. The downside is that it has no campaign. Also, it's free.
Steel Panther series - turn-based, infantry units are presented as units with a specific amount of soldiers which don't exist as separate entities, various terrain types, pre-made maps. Three free versions WinSPWWII, WinSPMBT, Steel Panthers World at War. The downside is that larger scenarios tend to take a lot of time due to it being a turn-based game.