Great Game Sean! Some suggestions for historical accuracy

Real time World War II combat simulation
daehttub_2000

Great Game Sean! Some suggestions for historical accuracy

Post by daehttub_2000 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:48 pm

Kudos to Sean for an awesome and addictive game. Love/Hate the morale factor when my men/tanks turn tail and run. Very realistic when the men refuse to advance under fire. Are there differences between nationalities (lower for Italian, French, chuckle....)? Hate the precise accuracy of the enemy mortars and hate the abysmal accuracy of my own mortars.

A couple of requests for corrections:

U.S. Army:

1) M18 Hellcat: poorly armored but VERY fast tank destroyer armed with a 76mm High Velocity Gun, not a 90mm gun. I think you may have mistaken the M18 for the M26 Pershing. Only a handful of Pershings saw limited action in WWII. Their "emergency" deployment was called the Zebra mission. Too little too late before too many Sherman crews died.

2) M24 Chaffee - Bug: Game display shows tank as "unknown" on the screen.

3) Most bazooka, mortar, and heavy machine gun crews carried some kind of sidearm. Would be nice if they had at least pistols after they expended their main rounds.

French Army:

1) The Souma tank only comes with 18 rounds. In actual service, the Souma carried 118 47mm rounds and 1250 rounds of machine gun ammo. As a general rule, the smaller caliber guns carried a lot more ammo than the larger guns due to the size of the rounds. Is there in integer length limitation on ammo in the program? Looks like you tried 118 rounds but only 18 took.

Great Game Sean! Follow up on Comments and Requests

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:12 pm

Part II:

Awesome game Sean! The more I play, the more I appreciate the realism of the game. Love/hate the "fog of war" effect when units disintegrate under fire, refuse orders, and freeze up.

A couple more "wish list" requests, nit picks, and general comments:

1) The 75mm anti-tank gun for American troops is listed as "57mm" on the weapons purchase screen.

2) In reference to the incorrect 90mm M18 Hellcat you might consider using the M36 Jackson (or the "Slugger"). The M36 was an upgraded M10 Tank Destroyer armed with the 90mm gun and was rushed into service in late 1944 and widely available by 1945. It was as thinly armored as the M10. It would be fun to keep an American 90mm tank (M26 Pershing) but it wouldn't be all that realistic given that only 20 saw limited action in WWII in Germany at the very end of the war.

3) What is up with the totally retarded gun crews and how they move their guns??? I knew artillery men to be a bit deaf but not dumb! I do not know why they have to move their guns totally down off the hill before backing them up the hill. It's a bit fatal in combat. @*#!

4) M4A4 Sherman: I can tell that you're from the U.K. The M4A4 Sherman was made exclusively for British forces (The "Rube Goldberg" Chrysler A-57 multibank engine - 4 auto engines ). US forces in Europe used mainly the M4A1 and M4A3 series (M4A2 diesels going to the Marines and Lend-Lease nations like France & Russia. The morons at U.S. Armored command sticking with highly flamable gas-engined tanks while using diesels on some Tank Destroyers. Go figure....) with the 75mm gun being largely replaced by the 76mm high velocity long barrelled gun starting in late 1944 and almost entirely by 1945. Even the new 76mm gun could do little more than "scratch" the paint of the front end of Panthers until the new HVAP-T ammo (very scarce) appeared. Of course you Brits had the marvelous 17-pounder to arm the Firefly Shermans and the "not-invented-here" idiocy of U.S. Army brass led to a lot of dead U.S. tankers. It would be nice to see a 76mm M4A3 for the American forces for 1945 campaigns with a bit more punch than the short barrelled and sorely inadequate 75mm gun.
I know you are limited in the tank variety you can display but what would be nice is to show at least two major American Sherman tank versions. 1942 to 1944 would be the M4A1 75mm "pop gun" tank. 1944 to 1945 would be the M4A3 76mm tank that could at least give Shermans a fighting chance against the Panthers and Tigers. Of course, it would be a blast if in 1945 you could include the M4A3E2 76mm "Jumbo" Sherman that was uparmored to withstand an 88mm hit to the front. Only 254 were built as special assault tanks. Of course by 1945, many U.S. Armored units were welding on salvaged tank armor and/or adding sand bags to up armor their Shermans to better protect them. Sound familiar doesn't it? Army brass I.Q. hasn't changed all that much since WWII.

5) Amazingly accurate and realistic treatment of tanks and the differences in the effectiveness of the various caliber tank guns against the various tank armor strengths.

Quitch

Re: Great Game Sean! Some suggestions for historical accura

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:18 am

daehttub_2000 wrote:Kudos to Sean for an awesome and addictive game. Love/Hate the morale factor when my men/tanks turn tail and run. Very realistic when the men refuse to advance under fire. Are there differences between nationalities (lower for Italian, French, chuckle....)? Hate the precise accuracy of the enemy mortars and hate the abysmal accuracy of my own mortars.

A couple of requests for corrections:

U.S. Army:

1) M18 Hellcat: poorly armored but VERY fast tank destroyer armed with a 76mm High Velocity Gun, not a 90mm gun. I think you may have mistaken the M18 for the M26 Pershing. Only a handful of Pershings saw limited action in WWII. Their "emergency" deployment was called the Zebra mission. Too little too late before too many Sherman crews died.

2) M24 Chaffee - Bug: Game display shows tank as "unknown" on the screen.

3) Most bazooka, mortar, and heavy machine gun crews carried some kind of sidearm. Would be nice if they had at least pistols after they expended their main rounds.

French Army:

1) The Souma tank only comes with 18 rounds. In actual service, the Souma carried 118 47mm rounds and 1250 rounds of machine gun ammo. As a general rule, the smaller caliber guns carried a lot more ammo than the larger guns due to the size of the rounds. Is there in integer length limitation on ammo in the program? Looks like you tried 118 rounds but only 18 took.

Actually yes, is that a typo Sean? The damn things run out before they've begun!

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks very much for pointing all those inaccuracies out to me and I've fixed the following things as version 3.0c:

- M18 now says it has a 76mm gun
- Chaffee is now displayed instead of "unknown"
- Somua has 118 rounds
- US anti-tank gun is now displayed correctly as 75mm
- US Sherman is displayed as M4A3

Send me an email if you've bought a copy and want an update!

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 am

This topic was buried away on page 2. If you haven't already, I'd sweep all the topics for things like this that got missed the first time around :)

daehttub_2000

Thanks for the fixes -- How do I download newest version?

Post by daehttub_2000 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:01 am

Thanks for the fixes. How do I download the newest version of firefight? I purchased the download protection but cannot figure out how to re-download the games ($44 for all games plus the extended download service).

P.S. A couple more fix requests if possible, a system question, and a wish list request

1) Men get caught in an endless circling loop around hedgerow corners. It's a Bermuda Triangle thing that robs me of a few men. There is no way to get them out. It happens infrequently but when it does it's maddening.

2) The CharB (like the Grant) had a low velocity 75mm gun mounted in a hull sponson in addition to the 47mm gun in the turret. Is it possible to have the CharB like the Grant fire two guns? The Grant's description says it only has a 37mm gun while in the game it clearly has both the 75mm hull gun and the 37mm turret gun.

3) Sometimes my PC's screen graphics get corrupted after closing Firefight. I also occaisionally get an illegal operation warning that kicks me out of the game. I run Win98 on a 450Mhz Pent III with 576Mb of memory. I have McAfee, Zonealarm(firewall), and sometimes Spyblaster running in the background. I usually have to reboot and run a scandisk after playing Firefight to clean up the disk errors.

4) It would be great to add a Japanese pacific (Saipan) campaign. American Stuarts and Shermans against the tinker toy Type 97 Chi Ha's and Type 95 Ha Go'swould be a guilty pleasure. Of course, to even things out, a tough to win Phillipine campaign with outnumbered Stuarts would even things out.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:51 pm

To get the latest version just e-mail Sean your recipt or order number.