Retreated but still waiting

Real time World War II combat simulation

Retreated but still waiting

Post by Guest » Sun May 15, 2005 3:04 am

I was playing a defensive desert battle, and after getting almost annihilated, I finally destroyed the five enemy tanks. I sat on the objective with my my remaining 9 non-HQ units and waited for the 30+ enemy troops to give up and go home. I got bored issued a retreat order, and now only 2 severely wounded men are left sitting on the objective but one's out of bullets. My problem? The enemy is still sitting there thinking it's pinned down. Any chance that future versions could speed this stalemate process up a little? Even a simple note thrown to the enemy saying "So long and thanks for all the fish" would let them know they've won.

Post by Guest » Sun May 15, 2005 3:55 am

Too funny...I won. I apparently put the fear of god into the enemy because my two severely wounded guys held the objective till the end...120 minutes. I lost 40 men, 4 wounded, and 4 guns (that had troubles even hitting sand dunes let alone tanks). The enemy lost 41 men, 20 casualties, and 5 tanks. My superiors thought this was 'Good'.

My trick for holding objectives in the desert ( which isn't amazingly successful) is to get 3 or 4 field guns, and at least 4 detachments of men. If I can afford it I also take a tank and a couple of mortars. I pile three of my detachments around the objective and set up the artillery with good fields of fire. If I'm lucky, the artillery wipes out the tanks quickly and then sets in on the guys. The forth detachment of men is used to flank the enemy and set up the second field of fire. If I have a tank, it also is used to mop up men. It's not quick, and it's not pretty, but I usually win eventually.

Greatgraddage

Post by Greatgraddage » Thu May 19, 2005 10:27 am

Thats' the tactics I always use, except I prefer tanks to guns. The stalemate thing is a pain I agree, it ties up the computer forages while you wait for it to finish!
Firefight... Those were the days.....