Mortors are things that I dislike.

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andywoolnough

Mortors are things that I dislike.

Post by Andywoolnough » Mon May 16, 2005 1:26 pm

Anyone else getting really really annoyed that enemy mortors are so accurate? I played this game for around a year and I lose the vast majority of men through mortor fire. I've just played and I lost 28 infantry killed. 26 killed by mortors. 2 by artillery. Very very annoying. Can anything be done to even it up a little as my mortor teams, conversely, couldn't hit their backsides with both hands. Which is equally annoying!

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon May 16, 2005 2:24 pm

But the code for your mortars and theirs are exactly the same, so your should be just as effective as the enemy's.

Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Mon May 16, 2005 4:02 pm

Hmmm, then that is strange as I get my mortar (I've now learned how to spell it!) teams to fire on an exposed enemy (ie with his purple ring round him) and nope, ten salvos later he's still lying there with a circle of shell holes around him. It's easier to get a tank to run people over then hit them with a mortar. I assume I'm doing it correctly by selecting the team, hitting fire and using the cursor with the purple line to click on the person I want to shuffle forth this mortal coil?

Conversely, most of my casualties are mortar fire and they seem to have an unerring accuracy. I'll have another go and see if I can get my chaps butchered by machine gun fire. It'll make a nice change for them. :D

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue May 17, 2005 9:41 am

It's hard to kill a man with a mortar if he's lying down but a group of men close together standing up can get cut to pieces. Make sure your men aren't too bunched up and don't try and get them to move when they are being mortared.

Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Wed May 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Sorry dude, but you've got to be joking. "It's hard to kill a man when he's lying down..." I've just started another battle and so far 8 of my 12 killed have been - yep, mortars. 3 artillery and one tank shell for the rest. The game before that, 22 out of 24 killed by mortars.

In both games all those killed were lying down. Not running, but lying there. I spread them out like you say, they weren't moving, but a single mortar shell comes over and dead.

My mortars take three shells to find their range. His seems to just come in one shell which always always seems to kill. By way of reference, my mortars have accounted for three enemy by the same period. Frustrating. I really like this game but this mortar thing is really silly.

Greatgraddage

Post by Greatgraddage » Thu May 19, 2005 10:29 am

I've never had any problem with enemy mortars. If they catch you on the move you're screwed, but if I'm dug in they never seem to have an overly large effect. I tend to use my mortars to save infantry that have a tank almost on top of them, a couple of motars sent his way usually has him retreating.
Firefight... Those were the days.....

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:45 pm

ive said it in the tactics bit but send a squad around the back, or if this is undoable watch the pink pixels of death and for a while and you should be able to track them back to their source(usually ridiculously far back), then nail it with HE and your mortars - if it dont kill them it makes then stop, which is nice

ive noticed this ridiculous accuracy, but im assuming im only noticing the shots that hit my guys, the odd one ive seen in the air seems to miss, i can only assume they have a helluvalot of crews cause they never run out of ammo, same with their HE, and they never use smoke....

Tim_Myth

Post by Tim_Myth » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:29 am

I've noticed that if I get my mortars close enough to the battle and let them pick their owwn target they are wickedly accurate. However if I ask them to shoot at anything, they take 3 ranging shots before finally hitting the target.

Any chance that Mortars and Artillery could base future shots off their last shot? It seems goofy that when I miss a tank with the first three barrages and immediately order another HE barrage on the EXACT SAME SPOT that they take three more ranging shots before continuing the barrage.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:33 am

Tim_Myth wrote:I've noticed that if I get my mortars close enough to the battle and let them pick their owwn target they are wickedly accurate. However if I ask them to shoot at anything, they take 3 ranging shots before finally hitting the target.

Any chance that Mortars and Artillery could base future shots off their last shot? It seems goofy that when I miss a tank with the first three barrages and immediately order another HE barrage on the EXACT SAME SPOT that they take three more ranging shots before continuing the barrage.

Not to go off topic or anything but the HE situation bugs me, too. Why can't you just repeat the same coordinates and have it take half the time it normally would to get there?
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.