[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Firefight for iPad (April 2013)

Firefight for iPad (April 2013)

Real time World War II combat simulation

Firefight for iPad (April 2013)

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Here is a new screenshot showing a Sherman tank in a village. You can see the tank's speedometer, rev counter, gear and current position of its brake levers. Seeing all the controls working looks pretty cool as the tank drives along! It's been ordered to move to the other side of the village so it will intelligently follow the road round to that point (rather than just plough straight through the hedges and houses).

click on the image to view it all:

FF screenshot.png
FF screenshot.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 10632 times
Sean OConnor

Re: Firefight for iPad #2

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

And when you pinch zoom the screen zooms out to show you the whole game map with individual unit markers:

FF zoomed out.png
FF zoomed out.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 10631 times

In the black space at the bottom I'll probably show the game stats.
Sean OConnor

Postby spillblood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 am

Looks pretty cool!
spillblood

Postby Knut » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 am

Wow. I guess I'm going to be buying an ipad!
Knut

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Here's another screenshot showing a church and graveyard. All the gravestones etc... are live objects so if a tank runs over them or artillery hits them they'll get smashed (and they'll no longer provide much cover for infantry). The infantry squad has been ordered to move through the graveyard, so each man plots a route through and flows round the objects to his destination. That does look very cool!

FF graveyard.png
FF graveyard.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 10587 times
Sean OConnor

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Other stuff I've done:

- all shots now use vector maths so when say a tank shell hits the sloping front of an enemy T34 (if it doesn't penetrate) it will ricochet in an accurate direction and ping off the sloping armour up into the air. If it had hit the vertical side of a Tiger tank it would bounce away horizontally.

- Instead of tanks just having either HE or armour-piercing shells I've now researched all different types of shell each tank gun could fire. So, for example a Panther has so many Panzergranate 39 (armour piercing capped ballistic cap) rounds, so many Panzergranate 40 (armour piercing composite rigid) and Sprenggranate 42 (HE) etc... Each different type of shell will have different muzzle velocities, flight characteristics and penetrating power.
Sean OConnor

Postby Knut » Thu May 02, 2013 4:12 am

Just fantastic!

Have you dealt with the issue where two tanks will come into LOS of each other, and if there isn't a kill scored after they fire so many shots at each other, they will just sit there staring at each other and not respond to orders to either move or fire? That has always been one of my least favorite quirks in the previous editions.
Knut

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby spillblood » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Those pictures look awesome. You should really look into proposing the game to for example Three Moves Ahead/Quarter to Three for review, they've covered some iPad strategy games like Battle of the Bulge before. I hope those improvements also get introduced into the Windows version, and not only on Windows 8 like you have mentioned before (I won't switch to Win8, only to Win7 (still using XP at the moment).
spillblood

Postby Andy Brown » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Dunno how much you're planning to modify individual infantrymen but one feature I always wanted to see was panzerfausts being treated as secondary weapons (like grenades) rather than alternatives to small arms.

Similarly, it would be good if weapon "loaders" (assistant gunners, ammo bearers, whatever) could carry personal weapons as well as ammo for the MG/rocket launcher/mortar.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Brown

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 pm

I've already got all that implemented in the new version! In the old Windows version a man could carry a weapon (say his rifle) which has so much ammunition, and a number of grenades as well. Now, he has a list of any number of weapon systems (and each weapon system can have a list of different ammo types too - so grenades could be HE or Smoke and cannon shells can be HE, APCR, APHE etc...). Most infantry I guess will have two weapon types (rifle + grenade) but there's no reason I couldn't have panzerfaust + rifle, or even panzerfaust + rifle + grenades. Each weapon system does its targeting individually so if a man had a rifle + panzerfaust and he saw an enemy infantryman he'd choose the rifle weapon system and if he saw a tank he'd prefer the panzerfaust.

Loaders have their personal weapons too, as well as carrying spare ammo.
Sean OConnor

Re: Firefight for iPad (April 2013)

Postby KommanderKong » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 pm

I can't figure out how to make tanks act reasonably... Has anyone had any luck? Playing some of the tank-heavy missions like Jagdpanthers, I move infantry ahead as scouts, locate enemy tanks, move my tanks up around the flank to the rear, drop smokescreens, distract the enemy tanks with my infantry and then creep my Jagdpanthers forward. After setting up this grand strategy, what happens? My tanks proceed to drive up right in front of the enemy tanks, turn around 180 degrees to show their rear armour to the enemy guns and then wait to be destroyed. It is incredibly frustrating... I've tried to creep them up towards the enemy as gradually as possible at really unexpected angles of attack, I've tried to personally direct their fire with the Fire command, and I can't do anything to stop my tanks' inevitable wiggling around in front of the enemy and waiting to die...

Also, any plans to do East Front and multiplayer?
KommanderKong

Re: Firefight for iPad (April 2013)

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:54 pm

I'll do some more work on improving tank AI but they'll always sometimes make what seems like strange decisions as they can't see everything that the player sees and the men inside may be terrified!

I'm working on adding networking right now. I'll probably add an Eastern front set of maps but it will be a huge amount of work to get a whole new set of maps done.
Sean OConnor

Return to Firefight