Firefight for iPad (Sept 2013)

Real time World War II combat simulation
Sean OConnor

Firefight for iPad (Sept 2013)

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Here is a new screenshot to show how the game is progressing (click on it to expand):
FF infantry.png
FF infantry.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4805 times
There's a lot more detail on the background now and roofs of houses aren't drawn when your infantry are inside the house so you can see the windows and internal walls of a house. I've been working on infantry AI the last couple of months and that's all nearly finished now. Notice how I've told the squad where to go roughly but the men have intelligently decided to go into the houses and look out the windows. And they'll only be crouching just high enough to peer over the bottom of the window sills so they don't expose themselves any more than necessary.

Sean OConnor

Re: Firefight for iPad #3

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 pm

And here is the game when you do a pinch to zoom out:
FF zoom out.png
FF zoom out.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4804 times
I decided that the original map at 3072x3072 pixels just wasn't epic enough for this game so now the maps are 4096x4096!

Knut

Re: Firefight for iPad #3

Post by Knut » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 pm

This looks spectacular!

How have you changed the armor? Have you broken it down into different behaviors to differentiate between MBTs, and armored cars and open top halftracks? Any differences in rates of fire between tanks with, say, 2pdrs & those with 128mm guns?

HAve you given thought to making it possible to change the 'point value' of the game? Say change it between the standard game to a 'heavy battle' (more units on both sides) or 'light skirmish' with both sides reduced to a mere company or what have you? It would be a different option than your Easy - Extremely Hard scale, and would give you some additional control over the AI's force make up if you wanted it. I think that might be a nice option to have.

Where does the game stand right now in terms of release, both for the ipad as well as PC?