The latest version is 3.0

Real time World War II combat simulation
Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:25 am

Garnier wrote:You could at least do what they did in close combat two where if someone shoots at you, a red dot appears on the jump map indicating "something" is there. That way I can tell where the shots are coming from, just like they could in real life.

In version 2.0 you would see a little flag on the main playing area where you had last seen a shot fired from or an emeny move, but I thought this decreased the "fog of war" and made the game less fun. You'd know the number of enemy infantry shooting at you by counting the flags but without them you've just got to make a guess.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 pm

I prefer the no flag system. A squad of infantry often seems like an army :)

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 pm

whens version 4 due??? any time near or are there gonna be a few more 3.99's yet to come?
________
vaporizer forums
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:17 pm

Andy wrote:whens version 4 due??? any time near or are there gonna be a few more 3.99's yet to come?

I was hoping to get a complete new set of graphics before I called the game "4.0" but I think that may take a while as it's all being done by people in their spare time.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:37 pm

Im going to fix the shot types graphics now, I will email you the new one with the mask.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:22 pm

Quitch wrote:I prefer the no flag system. A squad of infantry often seems like an army :)

I was playing a game yesterday that I thought I'd screwed up completely. I was attacking and thought I'd run into a wall. Two platoons (I usually group squads in threes) had taken 50% casualties and I'd achieved NOTHING. The whole map from left to right was a solid line of enemy shots and the sound system didn't have enough channels to reproduce all the noises :)

If it had been a stand alone game, I would have given up but it was a campaign so I thought I'd better play it out.

I'm pleased I did because, out on the left flank, some of my boys must have been successful shooting at those "muzzle flashes" 'cos gradually, the enemy fire coming from out there died away. Pushed a squad through and there was nothing but bodies. Pushed what was left of the platoon through and snuck onto the objective from behind while the rest of my troops were still pinned down in front.

The fog of war in this game is extremely well done (minor gripes about short range spotting aside). You have to learn how to "read the battle" from the noise and the "muzzle flashes" which is quite realistic. Marker flags etc definitely NOT required. I think I suggested elsewhere that some sort of "somewhere around here" marker for enemy squads might be appropriate but I take that back. It would definitely spoil the feel of this great little game.

Andy

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:25 pm

Is it just me or in 3.99 is it WAAAAY easier to spot tanks?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 am

Quitch wrote:Is it just me or in 3.99 is it WAAAAY easier to spot tanks?

Yes, especially if they move.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Also, do infantry have better vision than tanks and guns? It seems so to me, and I've got in the habit of putting out a screen of infantry to spot for the guns... but I want to make sure it's not all in my head :)

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:41 am

Quitch wrote:Also, do infantry have better vision than tanks and guns?

Yes, much, much better vision.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:12 pm

i can understand tanks having naff vision, especially when the commander 'puts his hat on' so to speak, but wouldnt the FGs have a set of bins for themselves? is the vision graded to account for this or is it just assumed that everyones concentrating on reloading and aiming, whilst one guy pops his head up to see where the tanks are. also have you taken into accunt the big shield type thing that i believe is quite common for FGs to have, so for things like the odd shot hitting the armour they wouldnt really be too bothered and would continue to shoot??
________
vaporizer pipe
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:17 pm

Should this game allow tanks LOS to vary with the AI deciding when to "pop the hatch" as it were?