[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Ok, I have to know how scoring works

Ok, I have to know how scoring works

Real time World War II combat simulation

Ok, I have to know how scoring works

Postby Tim_Myth » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:15 am

Mission successful
time taken: 30 minutes

Your forces
22 killed
8 wounded
0 captured
0 tanks lost
0 guns lost
97 survived
5 prisoners taken

Enemy forces
33 killed
7 wounded
5 captured
2 tanks lost
0 guns lost
27 survived
0 prisoners taken

Your commanders rate your performance as 'good'
You held on to the onbjective
and infliceted great loss to the enemy
although it was a minor enemy attack
---------------------------------------------------------------

How is inflicting 50% casualties and destroying 2 T34/85's while taking a mere 20% casualties in 30 minutes only 'good'?!?!

It seems to me that I get much better ratings when I spend 120 minutes encircled on the objective than when I completely smoke the enemy. Winning a defense in 30 minutes or less means you still have HE artillery shots left!! Granted, our forces were economically pretty even, but...

The only explaination I can fathom is that I'm winning too quickly and therefore not "slowing the enemy down" enough because the game doesn't flag retreats.

I think it would be super great to make campaigns more than just a string of individual battles. Tie the battles together some how. Instead of allowing me to purchase as many squads of a unit type I want, give me a pool of units. For example, I may start a campaign with only 2 flame throwers. If they get killed in my first battle, I will not be able to field any more flame throwers until I get reinforcements. The biggest caveat of this would be that it would effectively stop the cheesey "buy 6 tanks and just charge the objective" win. Since I very probably would only have 6-10 tanks available, risking all of them in one battle would be a bad idea in the long run.

Reinforcements could come once a month and would be comprised of units that were historically available at that time (eg, don't give me Panzer Mark II's in 1945). Once or twice a year, you could "resupply" me and take away over stocked units (for example, if I have 17 recon squads available, you could re-adjust my inventory to a more reasonable 3 or 4). You would also be able to "swap out" out-dated tanks for newer models. Reinforcements would also be able to reflect the rarity of certain types of tanks/units. For example, due to the US's industrial capacity, Shermans were rolling off the line very quickly, while German industrial capacity meant very few new tanks were being assembled at the end of the war. As a result, American reinforcements could frequently include Shermans, while German reinforcements would rarely include King Tigers or Jagd Panthers (except maybe during the Russian invasion).

Another good feature would be to have casualties carry over from battle to battle. Men would heal in between battles, but only one level. Heavily wounded soldiers from the last battle would be lightly wounded next time, and lightly wounded guys would be completely healed. (As a twist, you could make a small chance that men would become wounded or already wounded men would get worse in between battles!)

One more improvement would be "wound levels" for tanks. Instead of the current all or nothing system, tank treads could be immobilized, tank turrets could be immobilized, and/or machine guns could be knocked out. I'm not sure how historically acurate that is, but I can't imagine that shells ONLY either bounced off or completely destroyed a tank (except maybe Shermans of course). Tanks could be completely repaired before the next battle.

One thing I would love to see is a difference in the artillery strategies of the various forces. American and British gunnery crews were great at providing moderately accurate barrages in a short amount of time. Germans took several minutes longer, but were typically more accurate. Russians...well...what they lacked in skill they made up for in quantity. Another factors were FO's (forward observers). All American troops were trained as FO's, and due to the huge number of radios, barrages could be called for by nearly anyone. German and British forces were nearly as good. Russian forces typically had few skilled soldiers and poor communications, so calls for fire were rare.

A final improvement would be to allow my results to affect the out come of the war. If I'm playing the Germans, and I constantly win defenses against the Russians, have the news report that the Russians are making slow progress and put later dates on the Newspapers. You don't actually have to worry about making a "what if the French don't fall to the Germans?" because we are only Lts. :) Granted, I might hold my section of the line, but other sections will fall as normal. Command will then recognize that my butt is flapping in the wind and recall me to a safer position. The war would pretty much proceed as normal, but the section I'm fighting in might take slightly longer, so Italy might take a few extra months of fighting before surrendering.

The only downside I see to these suggestions (besides a massive research and coding effort) would be that some costs might have to be adjusted.

Opionions?
- Yesterday's Traditions, Tomorrow's Technology.
Tim_Myth

Postby Stickie NorCal » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Stickie NorCal

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:46 pm

another ridiculous example:

defence in the desert campaign june 1942, brits vs. bosch

time taken 19 minutes

My forces:
7 killed
1 wounded
0 captured
0 tanks or guns lost

survived
4 captured

Enemy forces:
39 killed
7 wounded
4 captured
3 tanks lost
0 guns lost

25 survived

My commanders rated my perfomance as 'very good'

-----------------------------------------------------------

eh???

i take 9% casualties, inflict 61% losses and only get very good?? its frustrating. true it was only a minor attack but taking out 2 tanks before anyone has seen each others infantry is bloody good. left a flame out infront for the tanks, which got wasted before they reached him, so had nothing else to do except toast a few crouts bofre heading off to blaze their mortar positions, which caused 6 of my 7 deaths. surely i should get more credit for setting up my defence so that only 8 people had to move during the battle???? tis frustrating

Postby Quitch » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:48 am

No, because you let 25 of them get away :)

Anyway, they rated you Very Good... what more do you want? If you got the highest rating for that then there'd be nothing between your situation, and someone who managed to annihilate the enemy force with minimal losses.
Quitch

Postby Tim_Myth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:16 pm

Tim_Myth

Re: Ok, I have to know how scoring works

Postby qwas » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Tim_Myth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Tim_Myth

Postby Quitch » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:22 pm

Quitch

Return to Firefight