[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Firefight for iPad (Dec 2013) - tank battle video

Firefight for iPad (Dec 2013) - tank battle video

Real time World War II combat simulation

Firefight for iPad (Dec 2013) - tank battle video

Postby Sean OConnor » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Here's a quick video of a tank battle:

I tell my Panthers to move out across the river and they intelligently find a route across the bridge. Watch the tank's instrument panel at the bottom right of the screen showing the speedo, rev counter, gear and brake lever positions. You can hear your tank's engine noise change as the revs increase. When the enemy Sherman tank is spotted by the crossroads your tanks open fire on it automatically. And when the enemy crew bails out they let rip with their machine guns.

I'm hoping the game will be finished by the end of January!
Sean OConnor

Re: Firefight for iPad (Dec 2013) - tank battle video

Postby Knut » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Looks really cool. Very happy to hear about the Windows port! I was thinking I was going to have to buy a tablet to play the game. Of course, I still have a windows 7 machine, so I can't have everything, I guess. :roll:

A couple questions.

How many maps/scenarios will there be? Is the game going to be as mod-friendly as the older versions?

The MGs & cannon fire seem very similar. Should the rifle/MG fire be toned down? In a firefight with an unseen enemy, it might be nice to have a little better differentiation between the two.

Any thought on waypointing or checkpointing? The ability to mark a series of waypoints for a squad so that they keep moving towards the obj, even if they move out of radio range might be cool.
Knut

Postby Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks Knut!

There'll be just one map on the initial release as they do take a long time to create and I want to get this game out of the door. The plan is to add new maps (each one will have several different scenarios to be played on it) as in-app purchases.

The iPad version won't be very moddable (just because they don't let you access files easily) but the Windows desktop port should be about as moddable as the current Windows version. The files describing tanks and infantry sections have become a lot more complicated though!

I'll take a look at the sound issue you mentioned but the sounds at the moment are all the same as on Windows FF. In the video two tanks fire their cannons at the Sherman tank but from then on the tanks are using their machine guns to shoot at the bailed out enemy crew.

I think it would be tricky to do waypoints on a non-mouse interface like an iPad. There's no right click and there's no drag and click. I do want to avoid as much micro-management as possible on this game though and the route finding should hopefully take care of much of the need for waypoints.

I'm not adding the radio feature like in Windows FF and there's no command squad either. That might be something I come back to in the future though.
Sean OConnor

Postby Knut » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 am

Ah, I see I phrased that poorly. My point was actually about visual differentiation between cannon fire and MG/rifle fire. Sound is fine, but both cannon fire and bullets appear the same color and thickness. In the old game you had the purple cannon fire and much less distinct bullet fire.

I think there is some value in the old version. Maybe just 'thin down' the bullet fire?

Too bad about the maps, but I understand that this is turning into much a different game. I'm not going to kid you, having random maps really throws a huge amount of tactical planning into the game. As good as the AI is, and regardless of the number of scenarios, the AI deployment tendencies won't take long to figure out and be exploited. I hope you can figure out a way to work a map generator into the game in the future. It would obviously be worth a lot as an additional purchase and game expansion.
Knut

Postby Andy Brown » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:53 am

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel that the randomly generated maps were about 50% of FF's appeal. Firefight without them is going to get old very quickly, no matter how much the rest of the game has been improved.

I can't support Knut's comment strongly enough. Some sort of map generator simply has to be developed if new-FF is to retain the easy replayability of it's predecessor.

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Postby generalzsc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 am

firefight still not online ? i can't find it on appstore . but can find other sean's game...many.
generalzsc

Return to Firefight