Trouble with Steam version

Real time World War II combat simulation

Trouble with Steam version

Postby CVGridley » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Sean,
Just bought the steam version of firefight for windows and I get one of two errors and can't start the game.
1. installed, but when I tried to run, I get a steam error saying "No executable" (which is true, the exe didn't download as far as I can tell).
2. I followed steam's instructions (delete appcache folder, restart) but that didn't solve anything.
3. I "verified game cache" and I get a notice that one file failed verification and will be redownloaded, but the update instantly pauses and never get downloaded.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!
cvg
CVGridley

Re: Trouble with Steam version

Postby CVGridley » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Quick update - It's my antivirus (BitDefender 2016) that is detecting firefight.exe as infected with GEN:Variant.Razy.44972; is this a false positive?
CVGridley

Re: Trouble with Steam version

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks for figuring out what the problem was and my guess is it's a false positive. I built the .exe file using Visual Studio and then packaged it straight up and sent it to Steam. I'm no expert on viruses but I would have thought a virus couldn't get into that .exe file and also Steam would do checks on it too.

I also did a full scan with Malwarebytes just the other day and it came up with nothing on my laptop.

I did find this though which also seems to talk about BitDefender giving false positives.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discu ... 872088948/

I think it's worth scanning your computer too just to check that it's not being infected your end somehow.
Sean OConnor

Return to Firefight