General Problems

Real time World War II combat simulation
Quitch

General Problems

Post by Quitch » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:51 pm

What this game desperately needs is a bit more feedback. I love this game, it rocks watching as successful flanking tactics can turn the tide, and how squads like in wait for movement, opening fire the second someone emerges (and getting caught in the open is deadly).

Things I'd like to see:

Notification of squad status: Supressed, Low Morale, etc. The graphics don't tell me enough. Spotting men with their heads down is hard.

Sometimes you don't get a firing line when ordering troops to fire. Does that indicate no ammo or supression?

Sometimes troops move into a position around where you ordered them to go, but sit a little behind a wall or hedge and when you check their LOF they can't see move than a foot. In that case why didn't they move up to the wall, or occupy the house right next to it? Can they not see because they're hiding??

I'd like troops to tell you when they're out of ammo, and I'd also like some way to know which particular guy is out of ammo. Is it an SMG guy? A rifle guy?

When deploying, it'd help if troops were moving instantly to their new home. It's fustrating when moving someone from one flank to the next. Especially when you're trying to check out areas for their LOF.

When a man dies his kills are wiped from the info screen... why? Shouldn't happen IMO.

Other than that, rocking game :) This is a MUST NETWORK game :)

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Oh, and add a demo mode :) It used to be standard in your replays, but no more. I'd love to watch the AI assault another AI in the background :)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:51 am

I agree with all of the above, and I would also like to add "nicer graphics for the unit list (to the right)" to the wishlist. Apart from that, though, this seems to be one of the nicest games I've tried in a long time. But especially the one-inch-LOS-bug needs to be fixed.

Come to think of it, a tutorial that explains why people stop moving or fighting sometimes would ease the learning curve. My first session with the demo was almost the last. I couldn't find the enemy, I couldn't get people to move to where I wanted, I couldn't get people to fire where I wanted, etc. Luckily I tried it again a few days later.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:45 am

I'm working on a new version right now which should address some of your problems:

> Sometimes you don't get a firing line when ordering troops to fire. Does that indicate no ammo or supression?

Yes, if no line appears the man is suppressed and won't fire anyway.

> but sit a little behind a wall or hedge and when you check their LOF they can't see

But if you give the order to fire the men look around themselves for a place from where they can see the target and they'll move there and then shoot.

> I'd like troops to tell you when they're out of ammo,

The new version shows a summary of the man (his name, rank, ammo and what he's thinking) as you move the mouse over him.

> When deploying, it'd help if troops were moving instantly to their new home

OK, I'll speed that up.

> When a man dies his kills are wiped from the info screen

I've fixed that.

> nicer graphics for the unit list

All the graphics are now stored as .BMP files so anyone can modify them and hopefully I'll be able to get some top notch graphic artists interested...

> a tutorial that explains why people stop moving or fighting sometimes

I'll have a go at expanding the help file.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:34 pm

with the personal summary could this be done using a shift-hover type move, cos i find it annoying now trying to shoot a tank near my guys, and all i can see is LMG instead of a tank, but id like to be able to still see what a guy is at a glance, rather than using a menu function
________
weed
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greatgraddage

Post by Greatgraddage » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:> a tutorial that explains why people stop moving or fighting sometimes

I'll have a go at expanding the help file.

I made a start on that for the current version but exams got in the way and I forgot about it, I'll see how the new version goes before finshing what I've done....
Firefight... Those were the days.....

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 am

Sean O'Connor wrote:> but sit a little behind a wall or hedge and when you check their LOF they can't see

But if you give the order to fire the men look around themselves for a place from where they can see the target and they'll move there and then shoot.

but if i want them to fire at will without having them all shoot at the same thing, or have 3 guys stand up as the enemy come into range, it would be nice if they could figure out they cant see more than 6 inches

also something i noticed, some FGs describe penetraton at distances, could we have a scale please? and shouldnt they get more accurate as they fire more shots, rather than after hitting a stationary target putting the next shot in the dirt waay short, or a trick the panzerfausts do lots - missing everything and haing their shot fly off the board.
someone also mentioned a while ago a game clock, and you said youd put on in, but i dont see it
________
Yamaha OX99-11

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Andy wrote:but if i want them to fire at will without having them all shoot at the same thing, or have 3 guys stand up as the enemy come into range, it would be nice if they could figure out they cant see more than 6 inches

I want to avoid the player from micromanaging the troops. I'll keep working on making the soldiers smarter each time.

Andy wrote:also something i noticed, some FGs describe penetraton at distances, could we have a scale please?

OK, I'll try and do that.

Andy wrote:and shouldnt they get more accurate as they fire more shots, rather than after hitting a stationary target putting the next shot in the dirt waay short, or a trick the panzerfausts do lots - missing everything and haing their shot fly off the board.

They do get more accurate each shot. Once they hit a target they'll hit every time unless the target moves. Bazookas are more acurate in the next version.

Andy wrote:someone also mentioned a while ago a game clock, and you said youd put on in, but i dont see it

It's in the beta of version 4.0 which I will put up on the website next week.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:33 pm

I mentioned this in another topic but it's worth mentioning again. When a unit dies it registers what killed it. This allows you to figure out, without seeing the enemy, if it was a tank, a boozka or a field gun. Surely a wrecked tank is a wrecked tank, its death shouldn't be giving you this vital intelligence?

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 pm

if someone could see what killed him killing him fine give it as that, but otherwise listed as small arms or shells/arty or whatever the general term for that is (large arms??).

random probably poor idea - how about if a guy goes off on a wander and gets dead, as they frequently do, he gets reported as MIA until someone finds his body.

kind of to do with wandering off - a squad out of radio conact would surely try to get back in radio conatact - when they have reached their objective the squad leader sends a guy to head back to the last contact or up a hill.

on that note whos in charge of a squad, and who has the radio/how is radio contact determined??
________
marijuana joint

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:48 pm

There should be just a few things showing how he is dead:
blown apart
bullet[s]
mutilated(bayoneted, run over)
burned up

sounds gruesome, but it is a little more realistic.