More Info & Actions Needed

Real time World War II combat simulation
Quitch

More Info & Actions Needed

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:16 am

I think the game needs to tell me a bit more at certain points and a bit more control:

1. When buying units I'd like to see stats on their weapons, armour and ammo.

2. In-game I'd like to know when my units are supressed rather than having to peer to see if they're heads down, or using the fire command to check.

3. I'd like to be able to change the other of a squad. You don't always want the pistol on the left and you don't always want the LMG and SMG on the right. This is especially true when trying to deploy in buildings.

4. I'd like tanks and anti-tank guns to stop using their shells on infantry! I had two tanks on my right flank, and when they finally emerged from cover, my central anti-tank gun had exhausted his supply firing on the enemy infantry assault (which was well contained anyway!)

5. When giving a fire order to a tank and targetting another tank, I'd like it to NOT use its machine gun :)

6. Shouldn't infantry, right on top of a tank, be able to destroy it with grenades? IIRC, was enemy infantry making it onto a tank pretty much death for the tank?

I noticed for the first time today that tanks can run men over... nice touch :)

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:16 am

One instance where less info should be given is in how my men die. I shouldn't be able to access that information until after the battle. If I can't see the field gun, but the tank that was destroyed reports being destroyed by an anti-tank shell, then you know it's a field gun.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:50 pm

I would also like to see a way for my bazooka men to defend themselves after they are out of shells. It is ridiculous how fast they run out of shells and become worthless because they are defenseless. Couldn't they carry at least a pistol and, if you really don't want that, give them a knife! I mean, come'on!
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:07 pm

I've also noticed that when the lead man in the HMG team is killed, the loader seems to take the gun but not the ammo...

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:19 am

....and then has infinite ammo. same with the flamethrower. incidently how does the loader load flames???? i cant see he does much more than turns a valve. only point of refrence ive got is 'a bridge too far', that wonderful all star movie, and the bloke next to the flamethrower has a rifle to give covering fire to his mate. and is there any realism to the c&c style flamethrower exploding when shot??

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:28 am

Yes, it's possible for the tank to explode and kill the operator with its sticky jelly... nasty.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:52 am

tank as in tank of 'sticky jelly' on a flamethrowers back as opposed to an actual tank that for some reason has been filled with toxic jelly....

that would be cool to have in the game, not always but a random chance of exploding.

how many british missions in the desert before you get to italy?? im on 72

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:52 pm

OMG, as many as that? I give up after five desert assaults and go back to single battles :)

Yes, sticky jelly. It's basically napalm IIRC.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:32 pm

IIRC???

yeah 72 and im july 1942. allies left desert 43 i think, duno which month tho, ne1???

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:05 pm

If I remember correctly

After five missions in the desert I was losing the will to live :)

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:44 am

all these bright young things with their "slang", i just dont get it sometimes.. :cry:

but that was agaisnt the italians, how can you lose?????

i must have had about 12 defences in a row against the germans, so ive got all those to go, and ive got to wait to whenever el alamein happened to attack.

any chance of a mode so you can go to a different window and leave the game running, with an alert to bring you back if one of your guys dies, surrenders etc. just for those times when youve got no ammo and a handful of guys scattered about, so i could do something else whilst i wait for the hun to retreat :lol:
________
How To Roll Joints
Last edited by Andy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 pm

Yes, I would play this game much more if I could let it run in the background when I've nothing really to do and time is wasting away. Sometimes I'm afraid my surviving grunts are going to die of old age before a battle is over.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Legacy wrote:Yes, I would play this game much more if I could let it run in the background when I've nothing really to do and time is wasting away. Sometimes I'm afraid my surviving grunts are going to die of old age before a battle is over.

I've quickly knocked up a new version (3.0d) which has an option to let the game continue running even if it's in the background. Send me an email if you want this new version!

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:38 pm

There are a couple other games with updates I think I'm missing, so would I get the individual setups or the AllWindowsGames one?

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:53 pm

i think the repeat co-ordinates arty might be difficult to place in the interface, so howabout a sub menu with more in-depth commands such as repeat co-ords, size (and therefore req. accuracy) of barrage - wider spreads needing to be less accurate for use against infantry, and being less accurate would come in quicker, and smaller spreads for against tanks, but taking longer as a result.
a digital-type approach i assume would be easiert to make (large, med, small spreads) but i think an analogue approach would allow more flexibility.
further choices could include patterns or even constant barrages, a single shell every second or two rather than 8 every 20ish
________
magic flight
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.