[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Multiple assault objectives

Multiple assault objectives

Real time World War II combat simulation

Multiple assault objectives

Postby Quitch » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:42 am

Quitch

Postby Tim_Myth » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:05 pm

That's a good idea, but even with multiple objectives, you would only have to charge one, leave a tank or two on it and then charge the other one with your remaining tanks. In some missions it is possible to have 9 Panzer II's.

I think some different missions would help. There was another thread talking about some. I think I'll find it and bump it.
- Yesterday's Traditions, Tomorrow's Technology.
Tim_Myth

Postby Tim_Myth » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Ah hell, I can't find it, and this topic is much more descriptive so I'll just post some mission ideas in here. Of course, since this is a war game, most of your missions should be simple attack or defend missions, but throwing even a couple of variations in would make the game more interesting. The full German campaign is over 140 missions after all. I think the tank blitz is cheesy, but 80 five minute cheesy blitzes is better than 80 one hour slug fests.

1) Prisoner snatch. You lead a small group of men into the enemy lines to get prisoners for interrogation. This would require a slightly smaller map and heavy use of recon squads. Scenario could contain things like a tank, a HMG, a mortar, or even a FG, but they would be unlikely. A slightly smaller map would probably be good too. Mission ends when you retreat or take X number of prisoners.

2) Rescue. Some friendly troops have been encircled or otherwise trapped behind enemy lines. They are low on ammo and about to be over run. You must resecue them. They would be on the opposite side of the board with enemy troops between you and them. They should not be under your command, and preferrably they should have a command unit that counts as the objective. They will move towards your side of the screen, but since they have little or no ammo, they won't move unless their is a very clear path.

3) Break out. Your men have been encircled and you must make it back to friendly lines. This is really just an assualt, but the name is changed, and the objective is one whole side of the board. You must move all your units to that side of the board, and any units not returned to that side of the board are considered lost. This would be a great mission if you tied campaign battles together because leaving men behind would be very harmful to future battles. You could also weight the probability of this mission showing up to represent players who have over extended themselves. For example, divide my total play time by my number of missions. If I have been doing tank blitzes, my average mission time will probably be less than 10 minutes. This means I have very likely left lots of enemy troops in my rear and run a very big risk of being encircled.

4) Delay. A unit of enemy xxxx's have been sighted moving towards {someplace}. Your mission is to slow or stop their advance. This is a simple defense mission, but there isn't really an objective for you to defend. Instead, the objective is on the left side of the screen, your on the bottom, and the enemy is on the right. It ends when the enemy column has reached it's objective, is completely destroyed, or one side retreats. There could potentially be recon squads acting as picket guards along enemy lines.

5) Destroy a bridge. This mission would be a simple assualt, except the objective is a bridge that must be destroyed by a demo squad. The demo squad could be essentially a recon squad.
Tim_Myth

Postby Sean OConnor » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Excellent ideas there! I'll definitely make the next version have more than just "attack" and "defend" so keep the thoughts coming...
Sean OConnor

Postby Legacy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:41 pm

I like the rescue and hemmed in concept. Being hemmed in, you should be in a situation where fighting the enemy to the death would overwhelm you.

This may have been mentioned in the past, but having survivors carried on and becoming more battle hardened veterans is really compelling. They would more wisely maneuver and not cower in fear quite so much, and maybe be a bit more accurate...
Legacy

Postby Quitch » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:23 pm

Quitch

Postby Fighter_Ace » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 pm

Another mission could be some kind of building, facility, or certain target destruction on enemy premises. That way, tanks would have to be out of the picture because they would be (1) slow, big, and bulky in enemy areas with lots of defence... bad idea because you are easily caught [Just imagine someone trying to rob a bank with a tank! How about trying to spy? Heck no!] (2) men would be more appropriate for taking out a building, target, recent top-secret enemy plans or discovery.
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby qwas » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:38 am

SPYING MISSIONS, use your troops to locate the enemy plans, then send in the spies and hold off the enemy troops until you have the... ENIGMA MACHINE, or SUPRISE ATTACKS... (Im going crazy, I got 1 trillion ideas which will probably turn Firefight into CM!!)

Anyway, What about, hold off the Germans for XX mins until the XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Construction is built, or more buildings, first ones re-inforce, hold off the Germans till reinforcements arrives.....
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Quitch » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:38 am

Here's another idea, how about fixed placements? In certain defence missions you could have access to things like pillboxes.

Don't know about spying though, this is Firefight after all.
Quitch

Postby Fighter_Ace » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:06 pm

Last edited by Fighter_Ace on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:11 pm

go buy command and conquer

like the pillbox idea, whatabout prepared positions? give men the first few minutes to build dugouts? so you would have to send forward a few men to slow down the advance

also putting civilians into the fray? if you get a reputation for killing them they attack you, refugee lines etc.

ive mentioned it before but ammo trucks/drops, troop trucks/drops, APVs, half tracks, delivering men quicker to vital places, but with the risk of all of them being taken out.
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby qwas » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:33 pm

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Tim_Myth » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:10 pm

Tim_Myth

Postby Tim_Myth » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:17 pm

I just had another thought while I was playing my latest campaign. Wounded troops should have their condition worsen during battle to reflect loss of blood or shock (especially badly wounded men). And for that matter, they could "heal" too to reflect shock from a minor wound wearing off.
Tim_Myth

Postby Fighter_Ace » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:09 pm

Thats why I said medics would rock! Just read my previous post!
Fighter_Ace

Return to Firefight