Version 4.0 specs

Real time World War II combat simulation
Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:59 am

I'd really like to see more objectives. It's that more than anything that I think Firefight needs... along with something to discourage tank blitz (like a real campaign, so if it does wrong it costs you big time).

Andy wrote:either a command and a new interface would have to be create - makin the gameplay more complicated, or the guys would figure out that if they and the vehicle were goin in the same direction to hitch a lift, complications if you changed where one was going tho

id still like to see and ammo supply somehow, either with a truck driving about doin deliveries, or sitting at the back with guys doing runs to it

I think the easiest way to do it is have the Half-Track come with a rifle squad by default. When you select the HT and press the "Unload" button the rifle squad appears next to it and the two act as seperate units for the rest of the game.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:18 am

I'd really like to see more objectives. It's that more than anything that I think Firefight needs... along with something to discourage tank blitz (like a real campaign, so if it does wrong it costs you big time).

I'll have a think about this while I'm waiting on new graphics.

I think the easiest way to do it is have the Half-Track come with a rifle squad by default. When you select the HT and press the "Unload" button the rifle squad appears next to it and the two act as seperate units for the rest of the game.

This won't be easy and I'll have to find space for an extra "dismount" button but it's something I'd definitely like to have eventually.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:47 am

i think adding a squad to the HT would be a good way of encouraging its use, otherwise its just like a cheap tank with a couple of MGs, but without the armor
________
buy cheap vaporizer
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:55 pm

More map types too, like Normandy maps (fields and hedges and little more) and maps which have lots of roads, and maps with loads of buildings for urban fighting... I suspect some tweaks (new profiles with differing values) to the random map generator could do that.

daehttub_2000

Suggestions for Tank/Troop Data

Post by daehttub_2000 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:50 am

Sean:

Super game. A few requests for historical accuracy (some repeats from an earlier email):

1) The Italian tanks seemed to have the same 18 round ammo for their main gun error that the French Souma had before you fixed it. Kudos to Luca for the correct info on the M13/M14 47mm gun info.

2) It would be nice if the 76mm M4A3 Sherman was made available for 1945:

By the May of 1945, roughly half of the Shermans had the 76mm gun instead of the 75mm gun. However, in February of 1945, certain US units (e.g. 12th Army group) refused to bring any 75mm tanks forward from reserve tank stocks to replace losses so by April, it had 600 75mm Shermans rusting in the supply depots. Tankers knew that a 75mm Sherman was next to worthless against Panthers and Tigers and heavy assault guns.

The first small shipments of 76mm Shermans started in August of 1944 and it took until November before 76mm tank strength was over 500 (approx 1/3 of total Shermans) in the 12th Army group. Note: some M4A1 and M4A2's were built with the 76mm and some retrofitted. Confusing eh?

HOWEVER, The 76mm Sherman became effective only after limited supplies of HVAP ammo became available. HVAP was the only 76mm ammo that enabled any reasonable range of penetration of the frontal armor of Panthers. The original APC 76mm ammo was only marginally better than the 75mm ammo and still couldn't penetrate the frontal armor of the Panther from beyond suicidal point blank range if at all. Note: Neither 76mm round would penetrate the front glacis plate of the panther. Only the mantlet could be penetrated. 200 yards for 76mm APC and 800 yards for 76mm HVAP. The first shipment of HVAP started in September of 1944. By February of 1945, an average of FIVE HVAP rounds was available per 76mm tank. The Tank destroyers (M18 Hellcat, M10 and M36's received priority).

In summary, the Shermans should be almost incapable of knocking out Panthers until 1945 (Fall of the Reich campaign). DON"T use HVAP armor penetration statistics until 1945. Both tank destroyers (M10, M18) should be as ineffective as the Shermans until 1945. By 1945, the tank destroyers should be able to dispatch panthers with relative ease. The Normandy campaign should reflect the awful loss rates of Shermans in tank combat (21% in June 1944!) which actually created a tank and crew shortage and hastened the desegregation of the army by the introduction of African-American tank units.

3) Increase the armor effectiveness of the Sherman in 1945: By 1945 most tank units added on extra armor in the field from disabled Shermans and Panthers to "copy" the M4A3E2 "Jumbo" assault tank that could survive a frontal hit by an 88mm round. Some units even added sandbags to the front and sides of their tanks to provide some additional protection against panzerfausts and panzershrecks.

4) The 90mm M36 "Jackson" or "Slugger" should be made available in 1945 instead of the M18 Hellcat: The Jackson was built in greater numbers and was really the only effective counter against Panthers and Tigers (from the front at least). Many 3-inch M10's were converted to 90mm M36's.

5) The Grant should maintain the 75mm primary main gun in the hull and the 37mm gun in the turret. Please don't change it. It's one of the coolest features of your game.

6) The Char B should have a 75mm gun in the hull in addition to the 47mm in the turret. Is there anyway to use the Grant tank subroutine for the Char B? The rates of fire for all French tanks should be slower since they only had 1-man turrets. The tank commander would have to command the tank and load, aim, and fire the turret gun himself. Not an effective setup. French tanks also lacked radios in many cases.

7) U.S Infantry arms:

a) Carbines used pistol ammo and had less range than rifles. They also had a slow automatic rate of fire.
b) Mortar and machine gun crews usually carried carbines or pistols. Carbines became more commonplace towards the end of WWII as they became available. It would be nice to be able to use them as infantry after they've expended thier main rounds as the artillery men do. At the very least, the light mortar crews should have sidearms.

8) Thank you for committing to fix the @#* enemy "smart bomb" mortar problem.

Let me know if you need armor penetration stats or other specs. I have the Zaloga books on tanks and/or I could point you to some great websites.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/guns.html (Gun data) - Super Site!
http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html (tank data)
http://www.onwar.com/tanks/usa/fm4a376w.htm (tank data)