[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Not enough RAM? I have 1 gig!

Not enough RAM? I have 1 gig!

Real time World War II combat simulation

Not enough RAM? I have 1 gig!

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:34 pm

The game won't let me play because I am in 32 bit color. It says it only needs 128 meg, and I have a gig. Were you not counting on anyone having that much ram in your calculation perhaps?
Steve

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:08 pm

I have a feeling that it may be due to how much video RAM you have but I'm not entirely sure. I basically say to Windows, make me a bitmap 2800 x 2800 and on some systems it says "no" - but doesn't tell me why.

The new version I'm working on (4.0) is much better at creating the big bitmap because I load the graphics as seperate .bmp files rather than them being embedded in the .exe file but I have no idea why that should help! Anyway, it's meant I can have bigger maps and they work more often on 32 bits screens than the current version of the game.
Last edited by Sean OConnor on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean OConnor

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:40 am

Steve

Postby Quitch » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:05 pm

I can at least say it's not because you have a gig of ram. I also do and have no problems. My video card has 128MB memory.
Quitch

Postby Rockford » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:11 am

I play the game on a PII-233, 64k ram, Win98, and a very old video card with 4k ram and it runs just fine.
Rockford

Postby Quitch » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:56 am

I suspect your card and PC's memory are measured in MB rather than KB. We've passed the Spectrum era :)
Quitch

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:31 pm

yeah but its still crummy, ive got a desktop pc running 98 with 4meg of video, thats why im using a laptop :roll:
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:00 am

64k of ram is a thing of the last generation. nowdays normal computers have 512mb to a gig.

Postby Fighter_Ace » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:08 am

Fighter_Ace

Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Postby qwas » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 am

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:08 am

rom - read only memory - its where programs vital to the computer running are stored and is stable - it is always there, and usually about the same size, without a massive benefit for being larger

ram - volitile, is wiped when you switch off, but holds the most recently used stuffs so that you dont have to go back to the hard drive all the time, speeds things up. the more ram you have, the more thingas you can do simultaneously

or is it the other way round??
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:26 pm

I think thats the way it is

Postby qwas » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2
qwas

Postby Quitch » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Quitch

K or MB

Postby Rockford » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:42 am

Rockford

Next

Return to Firefight