Not enough RAM? I have 1 gig!

Real time World War II combat simulation
Steve

Not enough RAM? I have 1 gig!

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:34 pm

The game won't let me play because I am in 32 bit color. It says it only needs 128 meg, and I have a gig. Were you not counting on anyone having that much ram in your calculation perhaps?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:08 pm

I have a feeling that it may be due to how much video RAM you have but I'm not entirely sure. I basically say to Windows, make me a bitmap 2800 x 2800 and on some systems it says "no" - but doesn't tell me why.

The new version I'm working on (4.0) is much better at creating the big bitmap because I load the graphics as seperate .bmp files rather than them being embedded in the .exe file but I have no idea why that should help! Anyway, it's meant I can have bigger maps and they work more often on 32 bits screens than the current version of the game.
Last edited by Sean OConnor on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:40 am

Sounds good. As a fellow programmer, I can empathize with having to deal with Windows and its unpredictable behaviour.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:05 pm

I can at least say it's not because you have a gig of ram. I also do and have no problems. My video card has 128MB memory.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:11 am

I play the game on a PII-233, 64k ram, Win98, and a very old video card with 4k ram and it runs just fine.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:56 am

I suspect your card and PC's memory are measured in MB rather than KB. We've passed the Spectrum era :)

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:31 pm

yeah but its still crummy, ive got a desktop pc running 98 with 4meg of video, thats why im using a laptop :roll:
________
Mercedes-Benz 560 specifications
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:00 am

64k of ram is a thing of the last generation. nowdays normal computers have 512mb to a gig.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:08 am

Pardon my total ignorance (considering how much I adore computers), but what exactly does RAM stand for :( ? Random access memory? If that be the case, whats that got to do with handling graphics :roll: ? Teach me people... so one day I may be as bright as you all 8) !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

qwas

Post by qwas » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 am

RAM is random acces memory

and ROM is random (I forgot what the O is) memory
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:08 am

rom - read only memory - its where programs vital to the computer running are stored and is stable - it is always there, and usually about the same size, without a massive benefit for being larger

ram - volitile, is wiped when you switch off, but holds the most recently used stuffs so that you dont have to go back to the hard drive all the time, speeds things up. the more ram you have, the more thingas you can do simultaneously

or is it the other way round??
________
Toyota Avalon specifications
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:26 pm

I think thats the way it is

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:32 pm

Read Only means Read Only and Random Acces you have... Random acces, or you can change it, CD-ROM, 1gig RAM
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:32 pm

ROM = Read-Only Memory. It's not really read-only since you can "flash" it, but it tends to be used for firmware and BIOSes. You'd generally store vital settings on it.

RAM = Random Access Memory. This is really just the second item in a long chain of quicker and quicker to access areas. You have your hard drive, which is too slow to load everything off, so you load as much of what you need into RAM, which is a whole lot faster, then the CPU takes things it's going to process and uses its first and second level caches (even faster) yada yada yada

You get the idea. More RAM only helps if you have more information that needs to be held ready. Graphics cards (the 3D ones) are like mini PCs, complete with memory and their GPU (graphics processing unit), which is basically the graphics card's CPU.

When you don't have enough RAM you'll get hard drive thrashing (or on a GPU, AGP thrashing/PCI-E thrashing) as the computer tries to remove old information and pull new stuff from the hard drive, and since the drive is far slower than the memory you'll notice it happening.

That's really taking a few liberties, but it's close enough ;)

Rockford

K or MB

Post by Rockford » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:42 am

Quitch wrote:I suspect your card and PC's memory are measured in MB rather than KB. We've passed the Spectrum era :)

Yup, it's MB... It's the old Arari that was measured in K's. But the point still stands, the game runs fine on a 233 P-II with 64MB memory and a 4MB video card.