[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Version 3.99 is downloadable - let me know what you think!

Version 3.99 is downloadable - let me know what you think!

Real time World War II combat simulation

Version 3.99 is downloadable - let me know what you think!

Postby Sean OConnor » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:40 am

I've uploaded a demo version that I've called version 3.99 which you can get from:

- if you install it make sure you put it in a different folder to any full version you have though!

This has all the new features that I've added to the game but I'm still working on the final graphics and sound files before I'll call it version 4.0.

I don't want to offer upgrades to everyone who has bought the full version just yet or I'll spend hours sending out emails only to do it all over again in a couple of weeks when 4.0 version is ready, so please don't ask for the full version of 3.99! This version is just so that I can get feedback and get any final bugs ironed out. Also, if you know lots about WWII technical data please feel free to look at the data files and offer corrections.
Last edited by Sean OConnor on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:52 pm

Twas much fun... I kicked their butts :)

I noticed tanks don't tell you what they're doing.

Tanks also run through buildings and collapse them. Did they use to do this? Nifty, but they don't take any care and I wonder sometimes if I'll need that building :)
Quitch

Postby crash_sc » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:35 pm

The new sounds and graphics are awesome. I also like how buildings collapse when tanks roll through them and the new person info, timer, distance/height counter and all that.

Was I not paying attention or do the artillery strikes come in quicker now?
crash_sc

Postby sid6.7 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:28 am

looks well made sean...so far its playing smoothly
i like the new wealth of info screens and such it
makes it interesting reading while weaiting for my troops
to get to there points...

i really like the move my troops around before i start thing...

the background artillery firing is cool too gives you
a "keep your head down" and the war is "everywhere" feeling...
sid6.7

Postby Luca Morandini » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm

My son noticed that, when choosing a team by clicking on the right-hand side list, the information screen on the top-right of the map is not refreshed: bug or feature ?
Luca Morandini

Postby Luca Morandini » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:24 pm

Is it only me, or infantry is more aggressive in 4.0 ? I
Luca Morandini

Postby Quitch » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:11 pm

The Churchill has one LMG while the Sherman has two, but the Churchill has two lots of 2000 MG rounds listed while the Shermans only have one lot of 2000 rounds.

Every house is listed as 0m. Don't these houses have more than one floor?

Troops often take cover behind a wall when a house is there was well. Surely the house should be the preference every time??
Quitch

some comments

Postby zon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:55 am

Been a big CC fan/modder in the past and see a lot or potential in Firefight, but there has got to be some changes in my view if it's ever going to get taken seriously.

The engine needs to be updated for transparencies to allow for better looking shadows, explosions, etc., but this could be asking too much, so here are more modest suggestions.

- building and soldier graphics are still too cartoon-like and need changing
- make the tank/gun graphics bigger so more detail can be added (they look like blobs and that has to to with the scale, not the artists). The vehicles could stand to be larger against the infantry anyway.
- pathfinding needs tweaking. I sent a Sherman along a roadway but it veered into two buildings before getting to the destination. Not an efficient use of the crew's time to be smashing down buildings at random.
- enemy teams remain invisible even though your teams are firing at them at short range. Player can't ID the troops.

I do like the new terrain graphics. Much better than before.

Anyway, I don't want to sound too critical. I'd like to see this game succeed.
zon

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:13 am

Sean OConnor

Re: some comments

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:22 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:56 am

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:29 pm

Quitch