Version 3.99 is downloadable - let me know what you think!

Real time World War II combat simulation

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:50 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:
And until pathfinding is introduced, maybe the building-crushing option should be removed.
The problem with that was that tanks would slide under houses and that looked a bit odd.
Originally I was thinking you may be able to code it so buildings are barriers to tanks. Then I suppose the tanks would stupidly stop and not go around?

Garnier1

Post by Garnier1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:13 pm

what is the difference between british paras and british infantry? They have the same weapons, and the same number of men, but paras cost 50% more.

Does the computer automatically generate the price for each unit, so that if I make a unit in the Infantrydata.xcl file with all smgs, it will change the price to fit the weapon?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:33 pm

Garnier1 wrote:what is the difference between british paras and british infantry? They have the same weapons, and the same number of men, but paras cost 50% more.

Does the computer automatically generate the price for each unit, so that if I make a unit in the Infantrydata.xcl file with all smgs, it will change the price to fit the weapon?
If you look in the .txt files Paras are "Elite" and the infantry are "Normal". Paras have better morale and accuracy.

Yes, the prices are generated by the computer or people might make super elite units of 12 LMGs and make them cost 1 to buy!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:56 pm

we could make units with a mix of HMGs, flamethrowers and rifles or something like that right?
if so, awesome!!

Sean OConnor

Re: More 3.99 Feedback

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:22 pm

Andy Brown wrote: There is still no distinction between heavy weapon HE and AP rounds. It's not too much of a gameplay problem but it's still a little disconcerting for serious wargamers.
I've added a difference between AP and HE rounds now (version 3.99b). Tanks and guns shoot AP at tanks and HE at everything else. You won't be able to see the difference on the screen but when an AP shell misses a tank it has a much smaller explosion than if it had been an HE shell and therefore affects infantry less.
Andy Brown wrote: More of everything (vehicles, bigger maps, terrain types etc) is obviously good. 20 units is fine, but so was 16 IMO. I wouldn't like to see many more but only because I tend to think of my force as a "company" rather than an unstructured collection of game assets.
I've no plans to add more than 20 units. Most of the time you won't have enough credits to buy 20 units anyway but it might be nice to have the ability to go up to 20 units when I add the ability later to create custom scenarios.
Andy Brown wrote: One thing I've noticed is that, after a one-off game, I can look around the battlefield and examine my troop roster but that I can't do this after campaign games. This is important, IMO, and it would be useful and rewarding to be able to examine the enemy's roster after a battle as well.
That's on the "to do" list!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:22 pm

I was modding the german HMG infantry bmp file, and I got the first guy done, so I copied him and made a new bmp and then dragged it into the rotate program. It did its job right, but all the guys are in slightly different places now, rather than centered on the grid like before.

I know it is because the small image that I dragged into the rotate program wasnt the right size and/or the guy in it wasn't centered. How should I do this though? :?: [/img]

Sean OConnor

Re: rotate tool

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:37 pm

zon wrote:Just tinkering a bit. I tried the rotate tool, which is fantastic. Otherwise, all those rotated images required by the game would be hell to make. Looks like the size of tank guns are restricted through.
I've relented a bit with the size of the graphics and now you can make tanks, guns and infantry up to 64 x 64 pixels (instead of 45) using the latest Rotate.exe. I've uploaded version 3.99c which dynamically looks at how big the bitmap is so the different tank etc... bitmaps don't all need to be the same size as each other like they used to. Most of the other effect bitmaps (like smoke, flame) could also be increased in size if you wanted, and I've divided them up into frames with borders so you can easily see individual frames more clearly.

Click here to get the version 3.99c and the new Rotate tool too:

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/download/ ... tSetup.exe

and here's a screenshot showing how big a tank could be now:

However, I'd still recommend sticking to 5 pixels = 1 metre or all the houses, trees and roads are going to look very small!

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:I was modding the german HMG infantry bmp file, and I got the first guy done, so I copied him and made a new bmp and then dragged it into the rotate program. It did its job right, but all the guys are in slightly different places now, rather than centered on the grid like before.

I know it is because the small image that I dragged into the rotate program wasnt the right size and/or the guy in it wasn't centered. How should I do this though? :?: [/img]
It's very important to center the man in the bitmap that you drag onto the Rotate window as the Firefight program won't be able to compensate for that later if you don't. I think you might need to always drag a square bitmap onto the Rotate program or it might have problems. Not sure of that though.

Download the new package (3.99c) as it doesn't insist on using fixed sizes of bitmaps for the infantry or tanks.

Sean OConnor

Re: problem

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:44 pm

henjed wrote:I'm useless with computers, but I cannot "fit" the 3.99 on my machine - insists on me trying 256 colour rather than 16 bit... and it looks bloody awful in 256. I can run the "old "Firefight" just fine.

Does the new version take up more space/memory (whatever it's called)? Might I not be able to run the new "Firefight" even when I delete the old?

Mike H
I've reduced the size of the game map slightly in version 3.99c (down from 3600x3600 to 3400x3400) so it might run on more low-spec computers now.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks for your consideration, Sean. I am now told to exit all other programmes - which means it's a lot closer to fitting, However - sigh - it still says that when I have nothing running other than Firefight. I expect I shall have to reisgn msyelf to not having the new version. :-(

Do you think my problem is that I have too much old guff clogging up the computer, or is its spec just not up to squat?

Mike H

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:01 am

Depends on your computer's specs, Mike. If it meets the minimum requirements, that won't be the problem. It might be that your hard drive is full.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:44 am

I've never been able to figure out why on some computers Windows refuses to create a big bitmap for me. Maybe it's the amount of RAM you have free and maybe it's to do with your video card memory. Beats me!

Version 3.99 does work at 16 bit colour on my old computer which was a mid-spec machine in March 1998 and that runs Windows 2000 with 256Mb RAM and the video card is a 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x. It's a very low spec machine now!

Maybe Windows XP hogs a lot of the RAM? If you do a CTRL + ALT + DEL and click on the Processes tab you can see what's eating up memory. I've just checked my computer and Firefox eats 27Mb, my email program 16Mb, Skype 22Mb (just sitting in the background waiting!), iTunes (I'm not even running it) 3.5Mb, Explorer 21Mb, DirectCD (what?) 4.5Mb etc... etc...

zone

Re: rotate tool

Post by zone » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:01 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:I've relented a bit with the size of the graphics and now you can make tanks, guns and infantry up to 64 x 64 pixels (instead of 45) using the latest Rotate.exe.
Excellent!

zon

Post by zon » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:
zon wrote: I tried adding a new explosion effect, but it seems the engine uses two or three instances of each part of the explosion sequence and moves them around a bit. I think the explosion effect would be nicer with a smooth sequence of the four or five images in the explosion files (would be nice to have even more steps in the sequence).

Also noticed that tracers overshoot the target. In other words, tracers keep going across the map, past the target and explosion effects.
I've uploaded a new version (3.99a) at:

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/download/ ... tSetup.exe

which improves the explosions a lot. There are now 4 different sizes of explosion in the explosion.bmp file each of which has 16 frames. I've put some very rough graphics in that .bmp file so if anyone has some better ones please email them to me!

I've corrected the bug where a tank shell line could appear to move past the explosion.
Can you describe where each of the four explosions are used in the game?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:29 pm

zon wrote: Can you describe where each of the four explosions are used in the game?
It just depends on the weight of high explosives in the object that has just exploded. At the moment it's:

if (PoundsOfExplosives >= 27) EXPLOSION_HUGE

if (PoundsOfExplosives >= 9) EXPLOSION_LARGE

if (PoundsOfExplosives >= 3) EXPLOSION_MEDIUM

else EXPLOSION_SMALL

So, artillery uses the biggest explosion, grenades the smallest and everything else is somewhere in between. But, if you've got some great graphics I can code it so that say, grenades have their very own explosive sequence. Just send me the frames of your explosion and I'll put it in!