Various Questions - Sean

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:19 am

On the "jerky scrolling during setup" issue.

Changing the display setting to 16 bit does improve things. Scrolling is still jerky during setup with 16-bit colour but not as jerky as with 32-bit.

Andy

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am

I'm sure then that it's because your 32 bit colour driver isn't very well written but your 16 bit one is much more optimised. There's a chance that you can upgrade the driver for your video card to improve things at 32 bit.

I had a lot of trouble with my games when XP first came out as it defaults to 32 bit colour. People upgraded to XP but their drivers at 32 bit colour were rubbish so my games could slow to a crawl. Things seem to be much better now with modern video cards as I guess these assume the user is going to be at 32 bit colour.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:43 am

I'm sure then that it's because your 32 bit colour driver isn't very well written

No problem. Are you going to answer my question about the post game ratings (bottom of Page 1 of this thread)?

Andy

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro using the 5.9 catalyst drivers (latest) and the scrolling is a little jerky over the blacked area, but not in my zone. Modern drivers tend to be optimised soley for 32bit these days, so I don't think that's the issue.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:53 pm

Andy Brown wrote:On the "jerky scrolling during setup" issue.

Changing the display setting to 16 bit does improve things. Scrolling is still jerky during setup with 16-bit colour but not as jerky as with 32-bit.

Andy

Got that fixed! You were right, it was because of the shading out routine that made it very slow. From version 3.99f onwards I use a different Windows function now to get the same effect but it's much quicker.

Guanchao

Error...

Post by Guanchao » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:26 pm

How is it that, um, Firefight experiences a problem and quits for no apparent reason? I seem to be having that kind of problem, where they say that "Firefight has experienced a problem and has to shut down." However, this seem to happen more often if I play the game more often. Is this a graphical error of my computer? or is it the game? I can't tell.
I live, I fight, I survive, It's all good.

Sean OConnor

Re: Error...

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:02 pm

Guanchao wrote:How is it that, um, Firefight experiences a problem and quits for no apparent reason? I seem to be having that kind of problem, where they say that "Firefight has experienced a problem and has to shut down." However, this seem to happen more often if I play the game more often. Is this a graphical error of my computer? or is it the game? I can't tell.

What version have you got? There was a bug that caused versions around 'm' to crash but that got fixed.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:02 pm

myself, version 3.99.

Personally, I'm starting to think that It's the Sherman Tank's problem; every time the mouse rolls around it, the game experiences an error

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 pm

Anonymous wrote:myself, version 3.99.

Personally, I'm starting to think that It's the Sherman Tank's problem; every time the mouse rolls around it, the game experiences an error

Which version of 3.99 though? There was a problem around 3.99m but that got fixed.

(Same) as 2 above

Post by (Same) as 2 above » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Right, I forgot the letter; It's version 3.99n...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:35 pm

(Same) as 2 above wrote:Right, I forgot the letter; It's version 3.99n...

OK, it's probably the bug that got fixed. The pistol.wav sound wasn't being loaded and every time the game tried to play it it would crash. Just send me an email for an update.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:21 pm

Huh, thanks.