Page 1 of 4
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:13 pm
in a future version can you set Japan??? i love to play in the Pacific hehehehe CCV Okinawa is la leche
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:34 pm
Yes, I had planned to add Japanese troops in the future. The biggest thing holding me back is not having graphics for things that would appear on a Pacific island.
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:58 pm
That would be a wonderful addition though. You could add two new countries to the pacific; Marines and Japanese. When you enlisted in the marines, you would go to the pacific most of the time, and of course the japs would always be there. The there would be a chance if you were British or Russian that you would get to fight in the pacific/east asia. I would love that. Mostly you would just need asian house and tree sprites right? as well as the japanes forces.
Re: Japanese troops???
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:16 pm
in a future version can you set Japan??? i love to play in the Pacific hehehehe CCV Okinawa is la leche
Wow, I havn't seen such bad punctuation and spelling fow a while now. Just poking fun at your typing skills.
You should have said: "In the next version can there be a Japanese side? I would love to play in the Pacific." And leave the last bit out about a "leche"
What is that? "leche"
Did you mean leach?
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:21 pm
You could add two new countries to the pacific; Marines and Japanese
I didn't know the Marines were a country, but i get your point they could be included with special units. As another new faction added besides of Japan I'd like to have ANZAC, which shouldn't be too hard as they mostly had the same units as the British. And they could also have a presence in North Africa.
The optics of a South Pacific island sure are the trickiest part, but I believe for a very basic first version you could just use woods terrain replacing pine trees with palm trees. Well, at least would be worth a try.
Some ideas for Pacific Theatre...
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:46 pm
Sean, congratulations on producing a superb game.
I'd also like to see Firefight move to the Far East and thought I'd jot down some ideas for consideration (have you guys any idea how much effort this takes, I hear you say!) Anyway...
1. Nationalities - would be nice to see British (+ANZAC and Indian troops), United States (+USMC naturally), Japanese (of course), but also Soviets (they did clash with Japanese in Mongolia in 1939, were there at the end and could've invaded the Japanese home islands), as well as Chinese Kuomintang (interesting AFV mix - also cavalry?) and Chinese Communist forces. It should be fairly easy to define which nationality is on the defensive and which on the offensive at various times for campaign games.
2. It would be great of you push the date back to July 1937 to include the 2nd Sino-Japanese War (often included as part of WWII by historians) and forward to the end of 1947 for Operation Downfall (the what-if invasion of Japan).
3. To add a bit of flavour possibly you could make no nationality surrender to the Japanese and that the Japanese never surrender. Maybe giving the Japanese a greater ability to close with the enemy? A unit-based Banzai charge option would also interesting moving fast to contact until either attackers or defenders wiped out. Spider holes would allow individual troops (a type of Japanese unit?) to pop out once an enemy has passed. Suicide troops with satchel charges (another unit option) would help even things up against enemy armour (and stop those Allied AFVs just running everyone over). I think the standard Japanese squad was 13 men strong! Possibly another unit type could be Japanese armed 'civilians' when in Japan?
4. On terrain, then possibly flooded paddy fields (open, but slowing), beaches (only too open), airstrip (open) and strongpoints (which can only be destroyed by heavy weapons, etc. Satchel charges would be needed to for this.) Building usually sheds instead of houses. Lots of jungle as required. Added to the existing terrain then this would probably be all that was needed to cover the whole theatre.
5. On locations then Indo-China, East Indies, Philippines and South Sea island generally more 'jungley' than China, Japan and North Pacific islands with North China and Manchuria very open. Highland and Lowland options would be nice.
6. Lots of Naval gunfire to help the guys on the beaches.
Keep up the good work. It is of the very highest quality already.
A few other things for Europe:
Any chance of Aussie, Kiwi and Indian representation? Any chance of changing the Canadian flag to the Red Ensign with shield specified for Canadian military units in WWII rather than the modern flag? Any chance of Polish forces (cavalry again)? Cavalry for the Soviets?
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 am
I can add any new nationality or new setting but I just need graphics, and that's not my strong point. Hopefully I'll be able to attract some top notch modders to this game now that it's much more customisable.
Any chance of changing the Canadian flag to the Red Ensign with shield specified for Canadian military units in WWII rather than the modern flag?
Here is the set of flags I use now:
which I think has the correct Canadian flag. I wouldn't be suprised if I've got the wrong flag for Italy (did it change after the war?) and I think the flag for Germany is wrong too as this is the Nazi flag rather than the German one I think.
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:30 pm
I could make infantry graphics for the japanese side, though I'm not too good at using the rotate and makemask functions, as I always get them off center and they look horrid in the game. But at least I could send you the first ones, before rotation.
I can make a real German flag. I dont think the Italian one changed after the war, cause I've seen that one in ww2 photos. I also feel like making better houses for the European theatre, as the ones now dont fit in with all the other improved graphics.
I'm not sure how quickly I'd be able to do any or all of this, because of school, but I could start if you would be interested.
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:45 pm
The Italian flag indeed was a little different during the war as there was some symbol in the center of it, if I remember correctly. I don't have a picture of it, though.
Concerning the German flag: Better stick to this one than use the modern-day German flag. That one used now in Firefight (swastika-flag) usually was used as the German flag during the war although there were different ones like the so called 'Reichskriegsflagge' ('War flag') but this one is way more recognizable.
Instead of the Japanese flag you maybe should use the Japanese war flag (this rising sun thingy with red rays coming out of the circle).
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:59 pm
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:37 pm
I think this is the Italian facist flag from WW2. Worryingly it's from the American Facist Movement website that worries me more than anything.http://www.americanfascistmovement.com/ ... /flag.html
Flags and Japanese rank insignia...
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:01 pm
Yes, Andy is right. but this is not the flag of the Kingdom of Italy that should probably be used in the game. The Fascist flag shown is the one used for a short time by Mussolini in the the German occupied areas after he was dismissed as Duce and before he was strung up in Milan. During that period Italy, anyway, was on the Allied side having declared war on Germany.
I've currently got a gif in the size and BPI that Sean uses for his flags for:
- Poland (1939)
- Japanese Naval Ensign (sun and rays) which I don't think was actually a war flag as such, but seen everywhere in the Pacific because many of the ground troops were the Special Naval Landing Forces - Kaigun Rikusentai - who as marines were part of the navy and hence flew the naval ensign. Elsewhere, where the Imperial Army operated, the usual Japanese flag seems to have been used.
- German War Flag (mentioned by TheKangaroo in an earlier message)
- Chinese Nationalist Kuomintang
- Chinese Socialist Republic
- Chinese Anti-Japanese Army (I think both the Nationalist and Communinists used this flag in a temporary patch-up to fight the common enemy)
- Italy with the shield of Savoy in the center (the right one for the game).
However, I think I'm being dim, because I can't for the life of me work out how to attach the thing as an image to one of these messages! HELP!
I also have Japanese ranks and their insignia (as a gif) as needed for the new v3.99 style (very nice Sean - except for the skulls - yuk!)
Happy to do any of the graphics stuff in my spare time (usual limits of a family and work permitting).
Question Sean? I'm currently getting a Tenente Sforza through WWII with that painful hardware the Italians have. When I get to mid-43 will I get a chance to change sides and join the Allies in the liberation of Italia?
Re: Flags and Japanese rank insignia...
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:43 pm
Paolo Sforza wrote:However, I think I'm being dim, because I can't for the life of me work out how to attach the thing as an image to one of these messages! HELP!
You need to upload the .gif file to a server somewhere on the Internet and then write the URL here on a message with <IMG> </IMG> arround it.
Paolo Sforza wrote:I also have Japanese ranks and their insignia (as a gif) as needed for the new v3.99 style (very nice Sean - except for the skulls - yuk!)
Please email me those Japanese graphics, and the skulls have gone already. I wasn't keen either when I saw them on the screen.
Paolo Sforza wrote:Happy to do any of the graphics stuff in my spare time (usual limits of a family and work permitting).
That'd be great!
Paolo Sforza wrote:Question Sean? I'm currently getting a Tenente Sforza through WWII with that painful hardware the Italians have. When I get to mid-43 will I get a chance to change sides and join the Allies in the liberation of Italia?
OK, I guess the Italians would have got standard US kit, like Shermans?
Japanese Ranks, Insignia and Various Flags.
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:09 pm
Re-equipped Italians (on a page about the Japanese)???
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:17 pm
The Italians were re-equipped in early 1944, but what with I have no absolutely idea. I'd imagine Shermans, etc. I can probably find out though.
On anything Italian there is:http://www.comandosupremo.com/index.shtml
I'll start an new thread if we're going to parliamo Italiano (talk Italian)!