3.99f - what do you think of these changes?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Sean OConnor

3.99f - what do you think of these changes?

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:06 pm

I've uploaded version 3.99f to the normal place and I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the new bullet graphics? I think they look much classier than just a solid line but I'm worried they might be too hard to see on some monitors as they are a bit fainter.

Also, I've optimised a lot of the code when you position your men at the beginning and it now lets you pan around the screen in between campaign games so please let me know if you spot any bugs there!

I've also upped the frame rate from 11 frames per second to over 13 to make all movement a bit smoother so please let me know if anyone has a slower computer and it's started getting jerky sometimes because the game has to drop frames to keep up.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:16 pm

I received a 404 message when I tried to download the full version from the link you gave me. :(

Andy Brown

3.99f Feedback

Post by Andy Brown » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 am

1. New points system? Oh, I get it. Points are doubled for infantry only, multiplied by 1.5 for infantry heavy. HMG teams are still only 2 men?

2. Setup jerky scrolling seems well and truly fixed.

3. Fire graphics look good to me.

4. There's a small map generation bug where hedgerows lining roads extend across intersections and bridges.

5 Major Bug. When your commander is killed and you are asked if you want the 2ic to take over, the command radius is still traced from the location of the original (now dead) commander. Move any unit too far away from where he died and it blacklines. Worse, move what's left of the command team too far away from where the commander died and IT blacklines.

6 Question about suppression. Are men suppressed by enemy firing at them or by enemy firing in their vicinity? Reason for asking: I had an enemy squad in some buildings engaged by two of my squads and a couple of HMGs while a third squad went flanking at a perfect right angle. Text book situation. The flanking squad was nicely set up on the edge of the village but them refused to move. The enemy was firing heaps but mostly at the firebase to its front. The occasional shot came the flanking squad's way but nothing that I would have thought would have caused them too much grief, especially as they were guards.

(Ah, OK, Sov guards are REGULAR)

OK, the flanking squad did take some fire moving into position so I guess there may have been a bit of residual suppression to work off but they basically sat on their start line for about half-an-hour while the firebase used up all its ammo. I suspect the only reason they finally started their flanking assault was that the enemy squad eventually used up all of its ammo as well.

Now I'm not saying such events couldn't happen on a battlefield, although I can't help feeling that, in this case, the flanking squad provided more than enough justification for a bit of commissarial summary justice :) However, my understanding of how suppression works is clearly faulty and I was wondering if it could be clarified.

Also, I was wondering if my own friendly fire at the nearby enemy would have contributed to my flanking squad's suppression?

Andy

Sean OConnor

Re: 3.99f Feedback

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:31 am

Andy Brown wrote:1. New points system? Oh, I get it. Points are doubled for infantry only, multiplied by 1.5 for infantry heavy. HMG teams are still only 2 men?
Yes, I made it so that infantry cost more when it's infantry only otherwise you had loads of money left over as you didn't have to buy tanks.
Andy Brown wrote:2. Setup jerky scrolling seems well and truly fixed.
Great! Thanks for badgering me on that one or I never would have looked into it as my fast computer had no problems even before.
Andy Brown wrote:3. Fire graphics look good to me.
Thanks!
Andy Brown wrote:4. There's a small map generation bug where hedgerows lining roads extend across intersections and bridges.
Yes, the road is leaping across another one when it ought to attach. I'll be looking into that.
Andy Brown wrote:5 Major Bug. When your commander is killed and you are asked if you want the 2ic to take over, the command radius is still traced from the location of the original (now dead) commander. Move any unit too far away from where he died and it blacklines. Worse, move what's left of the command team too far away from where the commander died and IT blacklines.
Blimey, I can't believe that wasn't spotted before! Got it fixed for the next version.
Andy Brown wrote:6 Question about suppression. Are men suppressed by enemy firing at them or by enemy firing in their vicinity? Reason for asking: I had an enemy squad in some buildings engaged by two of my squads and a couple of HMGs while a third squad went flanking at a perfect right angle. Text book situation. The flanking squad was nicely set up on the edge of the village but them refused to move. The enemy was firing heaps but mostly at the firebase to its front.
Men are suppressed by shots landing near them, even if they weren't the target. Your bullets don't count (and you can't kill your own troops with freidnly fire from bullets). I think your troops were just reluctant to go any closer to a place where they knew there were enemy troops firing just recently. Keep the bad guys suppressed and eventually your men will get a bit more courage to go closer.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:32 am

Anonymous wrote:I received a 404 message when I tried to download the full version from the link you gave me. :(
It's moved. Please send me an email.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:42 pm

I sent an email and downloaded the demo version so I could just check it out sooner. I like the new shot graphics, and I really like how you cant see the enemy ones that well. It seems to make enemy fire more vague.

Whatever the new thing that it shows for dead guys its, it looks dumb to me, id rather just have the gravestone or a white cross or something. The new frame rate is nice, makes the game a lot better. I cant wait for the japanese.

all these improvements are really good Sean, congratulations.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 am

Garnier wrote:Whatever the new thing that it shows for dead guys its, it looks dumb to me, id rather just have the gravestone or a white cross or something. The new frame rate is nice, makes the game a lot better. I cant wait for the japanese.
Yeah, the poppy is not as bad as I thought it could be, Sean, but its significance might be missed by non-Commonwealth players. I really do suggest going back to the gravestone. It's worked well for years, why change it?

Andy

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 am

OK, I'll change it back, but I'll look for a better graphic than the one I used before (which was 4 bit colour and "borrowed" from my game Slay).

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:06 am

The end-of-game ability to see where surviving enemy have ended up is welcome, although I haven't checked to see if it works in campaigns yet.

My troop status report is listing soldiers killed by "armoured piercing shell" (or something similar). I presume that's an error and is meant to be HE from tank and heavy guns?

Andy

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:25 am

I don't believe the game differentiates between the two, does it?

Andy Brown

Further 3.99f Feedback

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:21 pm

OK, so you still can't look around the battlefield after a campaign game. An automatic "Save Campaign" option would also be useful at the end of each campaign battle, before moving on to the next one.

Small Typo in the end-of-game summary: "Although your were up against [whatever] opposition". Should be "you"?

Small graphics glitch with the "Game is Paused" info box. It doesn't undraw when you click-and-hold to move it around.

Couple of points about snow terrain:

The new fire graphics become very hard to see, although this is somewhat compensated for by the bullet strikes being easier to see. I'm OK with it but others may not be.

The white squares that highlight members of the selected squad are almost impossible to see against the snow. Perhaps they should be drawn in some other colour for snow terrain?

Regards,

Andy

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 am

Quitch wrote:I don't believe the game differentiates between the two, does it?
Yes, it does now! When a tank fires at another tank it fires AP but it will fire HE at infantry. You can tell if you look closely as the explosion is much smaller for an AP shell when it misses its target.

I don't make a tank start off with so many AP and HE shells to begin with though.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:42 am

Andy Brown wrote:My troop status report is listing soldiers killed by "armoured piercing shell" (or something similar). I presume that's an error and is meant to be HE from tank and heavy guns?
I fixed that bug. I was trying to stop the game from reporting whether your tank had been killed by a tank or an anti-tank gun before you'd even seen the shooter (so you could cheat and know what was out there). You're only told now whether your tank or infantry was killed by AP or HE, not what fired it.

Sean OConnor

Re: Further 3.99f Feedback

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:46 am

Andy Brown wrote:OK, so you still can't look around the battlefield after a campaign game. An automatic "Save Campaign" option would also be useful at the end of each campaign battle, before moving on to the next one.
You should be able to scroll around and click on your unit status now when your mission debrief dialog box is shown.
Andy Brown wrote:Small Typo in the end-of-game summary: "Although your were up against [whatever] opposition". Should be "you"?
Thanks!
Andy Brown wrote:Small graphics glitch with the "Game is Paused" info box. It doesn't undraw when you click-and-hold to move it around.
I made it so that you couldn't scroll the screen when you pause otherwise you could keep pausing everytime you wanted to move around the screen to save on game time.
Andy Brown wrote:Couple of points about snow terrain:

The new fire graphics become very hard to see, although this is somewhat compensated for by the bullet strikes being easier to see. I'm OK with it but others may not be.

The white squares that highlight members of the selected squad are almost impossible to see against the snow. Perhaps they should be drawn in some other colour for snow terrain?
Thanks Andy - beta testers are great cos I never would have checked that!

zon

sound advice

Post by zon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:12 am

Don't release anything officially without either adding sounds for various weapons or leaving the data open to point to modded/added sounds.

Also, those infantry sprites are the main thing holding back graphics right now. They ought to be replaced.

Bug: At times, weapon exposions come far, far away from the where the guns/tracers are pointing to.

Glitch: The effect of mortar shells going high in the air and coming down to the ground is achieved by moving the shell graphic across the screen and back 180 degrees. The illusion left is that the shell is going across enemy lines and being pushed back somehow, perhaps by the wind (like an unlucky golf ball), because the graphic doesn't getting large and smaller as if it is getting higher and then dropping.

Finally, on the enemy hidden/seen issue. How about a sliding scale control, like a realism scale, controlled by the user?

zon