[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - 3.99f - what do you think of these changes?

3.99f - what do you think of these changes?

Real time World War II combat simulation

Re: sound advice

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:59 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:11 pm

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:54 pm

I just won a very confused battle, first of the Russian campaign. I shouldn't have won, but I feel proud for doing so :)

That was the sight half way through. I'd taken out two of the four German tanks, but it had cost me both guns. My paratroopers has been deployed to the houses on either side of the map, but the AI has gone for the centre (it really needs to be a little more imaginative in its deployment... I suspect it uses the same setup technique it does for you). The AI tried to storm the objective a couple of times, but my flamethrower team toasted four or five men and a tank (one of their two losses)

I help up in the left buildings and swung in my troops from the right. The Germans continued to charge so I trapped them in the middle, where they started to mill about like chickens when they should have pressed on. Using mortars to pin them I hit them with artillery. Eventually they were supressed in the middle, but I couldn't really encourage my troops to close in to finish them (the rifles of squad four refused to move from Silver hill - the one just North of the picture - for most of the game, despite being under zero fire). In the end I was running low on ammo and expecting to lose when suddenly I won. I can only assume they ran out of ammo.

The Germans had four tanks, two I destroyed and two just plain disappeared half-way through the game. They were firing and shelling... then nothing. I assume they ran out of ammo, but why didn't they storm the objective?

The AI needs a better memory. In woods a flamethrower team is king. It needed to know they were there once they killed stuff and then to do something about them, say an artillery barrage before the charge. The AI also needs to deal with troops on its flanks before marching on. I kept them pinned in like that for half the game of 33 minutes.

In the end they lost 32 men, had 12 wounded, 2 captured and lost two tanks. 37 survived.

I lost 17, had 1 wounded, lost one gun (but both crews... can a crew without a gun man a gun without a crew? Bet they can't, but they should!) 15 survived and I captured 2.

Looking forward to being able to browse the battle afterwards, I wanted to know where all his guys were!

Mortar teams don't seem to have any guns... they really should, I don't think anyone in the army lacked for a personal sidearm did they? Okay, the Russians were low on guns, but wasn't that when they sent in the conscripts?

I'd like a way of getting a battle code for campaign battles so I can refight them later.
Quitch

Postby Quitch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 pm

Bug: Flamethrower (not assistant) doesn't show up in the detailed stats screen, only a pink backwards L of some sort.

I'm sure we should stop AT guns firing on infantry, I'm sure it's just serving to give away their position and get the crew massacred.
Quitch

Postby Quitch » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:10 pm

Sometimes troops look half in and half out of a building and you're left wondering which it is...

Ran into a Panzer IIIj and IVf, neither of which are detailed in the help.

I may have found where those tanks went. I just saw a German tank, firing all its guns at my men, rocket off the bottom of the screen... it wasn't driven off, nothing was firing at it.

You see houses destroyed even without LOS... rather gives away tank movements.

The two gun crew in the river seem to be stuck. They've been vibrating for the last five minutes.

My anti-tank gun in the house is wasting supressed infantry, yet I've never had an HMG get many kills at all. Is that right??

There's no way to see how many kills your artillery got during the course of a mission.
Quitch

Postby Garnier » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:28 pm

Garnier

Postby Sean OConnor » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:29 pm

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:02 am

Quitch

Postby Sean OConnor » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:10 am

Sean OConnor

Postby Quitch » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Quitch

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Andy Brown

Postby Quitch » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:11 pm

Quitch

Postby Quitch » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:42 pm

Which hill is higher? Wrong, Grimes is twice the height of Rainbow.

If you're killed in a game and choose End Campaign you're not shown the enemy troop dispositions.
Quitch

PreviousNext

Return to Firefight