Is a year limit on units too vague?

Real time World War II combat simulation
Quitch

Is a year limit on units too vague?

Post by Quitch » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:22 pm

Units are, I believe, limited in when you can get them by year. Yet, in the first mission as the Russians I got a T34. Wasn't this developed late in the year?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:53 pm

They are limited by quarter of each year. Take a look in the .txt files in the Data/Tanks folder and you'll see the data at the end of each file. The number for each quarter is meant to be the number of that tank that was on the front line in that quarter (not just the number manufactured that year).

I'm sure a lot of my data is off the mark as I've had to make guesses in lots of places so please let me know if you spot anything way off.

It's all summarised in the Tank Data.xls spreadsheet that gets installed to your computer when you install Firefight too so you can see all the numbers for each quarter compared.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:00 pm

I'm afraid I don't know either, but since the T34 marked a turning point for the Russians my gut feeling is that it wouldn't be there for the beginning of the German invasion.

BTW, on the year selection for each side, it would be nice to have something which marks which year their campaign begins in.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:26 am

Quitch wrote:I'm afraid I don't know either, but since the T34 marked a turning point for the Russians my gut feeling is that it wouldn't be there for the beginning of the German invasion.

The T-34 was in production before the German invasion. It wasn't encountered by the Germans during the first fortnight or so of Barbarossa because the units it was issued to weren't deployed on the border. When it was encountered, it (and the KV series) came as a most unpleasant surprise to the Germans.

The Panther was designed to take out the T-34 and copied many of its features.

There is a story that, some time before WW2, a Sov mil delegation was visiting Germany. The Germans were showing off their early Pz IIIs and IVs which were the best they had at the time. The Sovs, who knew that. back home in Russia, T-34 and KV prototypes were up and running, were convinced that the Germans were deliberately not showing the delegation their latest stuff.

Another interesting point. At the start of Barbarossa, the Sovs had stopped using anti-tank rifles because they couldn't penetrate the armour of the latest Russian tanks and, therefore, appeared to be useless on any future battlefield. When the Sovs realised how thin the armour of the German panzers was, ATRs were rushed back into production.

Andy

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:16 am

LOL! Thanks, that was very interesting.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:25 am

Interesting that the Russians considered their PTRD (Protivo Tankovoe Ruzhiyo Degtyarev or something like that = Degtyarev ATR) that effective since, if I remember correctly, the British quickly labelled their Boys ATR 'next to useless'.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:32 am

14.5mm v 12.5mm for a start.

Andy