Pacific War

Real time World War II combat simulation
Paolo Sforza

Pacific War

Post by Paolo Sforza » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:40 pm

The production of graphics and data files for AFVs, infantry, artillery, ranks, flags, names, etc. covering Japanese, Chinese, Australian, New Zealander and Dutch East Indies armies, is now complete. The British have been expanded slightly and the U.S. given new vehicles and marines. There's quite a lot of terrain and other objects. It'll take a couple of days to fit in a final sanity check before release on, probably, early Thursday GMT.

I've tried not to cause Sean to many headaches by straying outside the bounds of the current Firefight, but he is aware that some new weapons and probably new behaviours will be needed to incorporate this stuff. I leave that bit (the hard part) to him!

The material will be available on http://www.sforza.150m.com. Please don't download the current material as it has now been superceded and expanded. I'm too lazy to clear down the web-site before I upload the new stuff.

This new topic is for all comments, criticisms, suggestions regarding this expansion and takes over from the original topic 'Japanese troops???' which sparked this work off.

I'll post to this topic as soon as the new Zip containing the files has been uploaded to the website.

Cheers.

Paolo Sforza

PACIFIC WAR READY

Post by Paolo Sforza » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:52 pm

Available via http://www.sforza.150m.com

Apologies in advance for the irritating ads on this free web-hosting site!

Cheers.

sid6.7

Re: PACIFIC WAR READY

Post by sid6.7 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Paolo Sforza wrote:Available via http://www.sforza.150m.com

Apologies in advance for the irritating ads on this free web-hosting site!

Cheers.
cant download 404 error...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:27 am

OK guys. Obviously the hosting is a bit flaky with multiple hits on large files. Or maybe they're having server problems. I'm uploading multiple copies to spread the load. Give me until 1am GMT and things should be OK (server problems permitting).

Sorry about the hassle.

Cheers.

Paolo Sforza

Post by Paolo Sforza » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 am

That last message was from me, by the way!

Forgot to log in.

Cheers.

Paolo Sforza

Post by Paolo Sforza » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:41 am

OK. New uploading done on the zip file (4 copies). I've been able to download each copy, so if you get a 404 it's a sign that the server is busy.

Cheers.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:16 am

Thanks Paolo, that's an unbelievable amount of excellent work you've done there! I'm working on adding your Japanese, Chinese, Australian and new Zealand troops and I'll make a jungle scenario too. I'll put your name in the rolling credits too. Thanks again!

Paolo Sforza

Post by Paolo Sforza » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:12 pm

No problems Sean.

Glad the thing downloaded! Things automatically evaporate on iHud after 30 days if not accessed. If ever you need a re-post of something then just ask.

If you ever need any graphics and are up against it then drop me a line. I'll see what I can do - family and work permitting of course. I quite enjoyed this stuff, once I'd got the hang of counting turret pixel offsets! It was a lot less effort than I expected in the end.
As I said - you've got the hard bit. One thing occurs - have you ever tried your hand at a Diplomacy AI? Keep up the good work - you have something very special in Firefight.

And thanks for the credit (my name up in pixels!)

You ought to know that there are some bits of data that I'm still not too happy with as the references conflict (especially in 'commonness' areas). If there are any mods, I send them on. Were the desert buildings OK?

By-the-way, have you any ideas why my forum avatar won't load from either a website or any of my machines. It's a 256 colour 73bpi bitmap, 77px wide, 41px high and only 2k in size? Nothing odd there.

Cheers.

Paolo Sforza

Post by Paolo Sforza » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:31 am

I've added a Japanese Type 2 Ka-Mi amphibious tank for the period when they were the ones storming the beaches.

Rotated hull sprites, turret sprites and masks for both, selection picture, data file and new shell data are at the bottom of my web page http://www.sforza.150m.com

Cheers.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:46 pm

wow what an intense amount of work went into this...

its immense...i can only imagine what sean went
through creating the whole game...LOL

i'm still going thru the files....LOL

so far it looks VERY good..havent tried it yet though...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:47 pm

So Firefight now allows modding? Can you actually design your own tank, not just by graphics, but also tank features?!

Wow! Your work is stunning, Paolo Sforza! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for blowing me outta the watter :lol: !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:28 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote:So Firefight now allows modding? Can you actually design your own tank, not just by graphics, but also tank features?!

Wow! Your work is stunning, Paolo Sforza! Absolutely stunning! Thanks for blowing me outta the watter :lol: !
Yes, you can design your own tanks now and specify the armour thickness, the gun it has and it's speed etc... Everything is stored in a tank's .txt file in the Data folder and that .txt file specifies where the .bmp files that this tank will use too.

It's meant to be so that you can add historically accurate tanks that I have missed out rather than make up bizarre new ones though!