Latest beta version is 3.99j

Real time World War II combat simulation
Sean OConnor

Latest beta version is 3.99j

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:27 pm

New stuff includes:

- Infantry will tend to crawl towards and away from enemy more now instead of dashing if they think there are enemy troops nearby.

- Infantry run out the way of oncoming enemy tanks rather than lying there and getting squashed.

- Map creation routine has had a bug fixed so that more roads join up so you'll see more T-junctions now.

- The enemy has better strategies for attacking instead of just basically coming at you in a spread out line.

- Much nicer explosion graphics (thanks Zon!)

- Better graphics for showing you how much ammo each man has left, and for the gravestone.

- The game timer has increased from 11 frames a second to 13 so machine guns fire more rapidly.

- Rotate.exe shows you a zoomed in picture of your orignal graphic and has centre lines (and you can move your graphic with the arrow keys) to get it centralized.
Last edited by Sean OConnor on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:57 pm

There are some situations where infantry should dash though, like when moving from cover to cover. Crawling should be for those caught in the open.

crash_sc

Post by crash_sc » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Is it normal for a British 25 pound field gun to fire 7 times simultaneously? I lost a tank very quickly while attacking the British, so I tested the gun and found that it fired 7 rounds all at once, even shows the ammo being used in the troop status.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:06 pm

that some class-A british engineering there, separate targets too??
________
List of factories
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

crash_sc

Post by crash_sc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Nope, 7 rounds at one target. When I first lost a tank to that thing I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. :lol:

Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:58 pm

Great new graphis and updates Sean. It's a much smoother game and great improvements. However, I have one or two questions:

is there a moral-ometer, which is why certain infantry units are more expensive? My British infantry seem to run away every time a German breaks cover, even though they are in a perfect position to shoot him. Would paras or marines, for example, stand and fight?

Artillery - I lose at least one infantry unit to artillery each game. It gets pinned down, and despite the fact it is lying down sheltering, the red "killed" alerts just keep coming in threes and fours. Is it meant to be so accurate as it's becoming the new mortars!

Half tracks - are these mobile reconnaisance units that can see as much as infantry? Can armoured cars be used in the same way? Just trying to work out how best to use the increased choice of lovely lovely armour!

Cool improvements - though I'm suffering a moral crisis that playing the Nazis is so much more fun as they have the most interesting units!

Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:20 pm

Oh, and one final question - why can't you manoeuvre tanks once they've seen another tank or gun emplacement? It seems like madness that they have to sit where they are and chuck long-range bricks at some gun at the top of a hill. It would surely be more realistic if you could putflank enemy tank formations, or move forward to engage at close quarters or allow them to move! It make them susceptible to artillery fire and other, unseen tanks/gun formations.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 pm

One more idea I just thought of. You should have a button next to the HE and SM buttons that is an air strike. you give it a location, and one plane comes by and strafes the area with machineguns, and maybe drops a bomb.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:12 am

Andywoolnough wrote:Oh, and one final question - why can't you manoeuvre tanks once they've seen another tank or gun emplacement? It seems like madness that they have to sit where they are and chuck long-range bricks at some gun at the top of a hill.

I'm not sure what you're on about here, mate. I've never had any trouble moving AFVs under fire. I also like the way they will back off and find cover themselves if a couple of near misses scare them a bit.

There does seem to be a bit of a bug with AFVs where, if a battle goes on a while and a few casualties have been taken, they refuse to move at all. However, I noticed on at least one occasion, a reload fixed this, though I haven't tested it extensively.

Andy

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:18 am

With regards to British paras (18 credits) vs. standard infantry (12 credits) I assume the difference is moral (as the weapon load outs are identical), but I can't say as I've seen any difference. I chose a unit of paras to give them a try, but they seemed to break the same as anyone else.

More extensive testing is called for :)

qwas

Post by qwas » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:56 pm

GREAT UPGRADE!!! I might as well never bought any of any other games I have! I end up playing Firefight most of the time now!

P.S. I have had 8 missions in the North African campaign against Italy, when does it end?
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:06 am

Not for a very, very long time :)

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:12 am

Quitch wrote:With regards to British paras (18 credits) vs. standard infantry (12 credits) I assume the difference is moral (as the weapon load outs are identical), but I can't say as I've seen any difference. I chose a unit of paras to give them a try, but they seemed to break the same as anyone else.

More extensive testing is called for :)

Elite troops shoot much more accurately than others and they recover from being suppressed twice as quickly too.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:13 am

qwas wrote:P.S. I have had 8 missions in the North African campaign against Italy, when does it end?

Paolo has also sent me some graphics for desert houses and palm trees so I'll be able to make the desert scenarios a bit more interesting in the next release.

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:25 am

OK, thanks
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2