Latest beta version is 3.99j

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andywoolnough

Post by Andywoolnough » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:49 am

Andy Brown wrote: [i]I'm not sure what you're on about here, mate. I've never had any trouble moving AFVs under fire. I also like the way they will back off and find cover themselves if a couple of near misses scare them a bit. [/i]

What I'm on about is that once an AFV identifies an enemy gun emplacement or tank it refuses to move on your orders until the enemy has been taken out. This happened on the previous version and now this one too. It may be the way I play - I like to push infantry forward as far as possible to locate the enemy and then ram the armour in. As a result, my infantry often come across guns and tanks (as well as infantry) quite far ahead of my tanks and when I send the tanks in, they stop as soon as they catch sight of the AT or AFV, until that threat is destroyed or disappears. This often involves the tanks chucking stuff at the enemey from quite some distance.

Not making it up, honest! I'm not that desperate to post messages that I make up faults in the game, promise!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:55 pm

I find this too, most of the time. Almost every time I have tried to simply buy tanks and blitz the enemy flag I have come a-cropper. Everyone out there seems to say that it is too easy to blitz and win with tanks but I find the opposite to be the case. I have had very few instances where it has succeeded. More often that not the lead tank is hit and destroyed, and another is hit and stops dead and then wanders off and then retreats and the others likewise go AWOL.

More of a problem is the infallibility and accuracy/effectivness of defending flamethrowers, which are (like PIATs) almost impossible to deploy offensively. I have barely managed to hit anything with a PIAT yet my poor tanks fall victim to them so often...

Mike H

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:I find this too, most of the time. Almost every time I have tried to simply buy tanks and blitz the enemy flag I have come a-cropper. Everyone out there seems to say that it is too easy to blitz and win with tanks but I find the opposite to be the case. I have had very few instances where it has succeeded. More often that not the lead tank is hit and destroyed, and another is hit and stops dead and then wanders off and then retreats and the others likewise go AWOL.

More of a problem is the infallibility and accuracy/effectivness of defending flamethrowers, which are (like PIATs) almost impossible to deploy offensively. I have barely managed to hit anything with a PIAT yet my poor tanks fall victim to them so often...

Mike H

for me in the old version blitz is real easy...at least every time
i do it..i win within a few minutes...
if you run..you'll only die tired

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:48 pm

"Blitzing" got a bit harder in version 3.99 as the anti-tank guns got more accurate and also they now wait until your tanks are very close before firing their first shot.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:02 pm

If I force a gun to fire and have my mouse over an enemy unit, does the gun target the unit or the point?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:44 am

Quitch wrote:If I force a gun to fire and have my mouse over an enemy unit, does the gun target the unit or the point?

If your gun can actually see the enemy itself then it would shoot at it rather than the point you clicked on.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:51 pm

just downloaded 3.99j, straight up from 3.0, AMAZING, love the bullets, love the way guys move, love the way i can mod the game so i can have 5 12 man elite squads of 8 pistols, 2 flamethrowers and 2 PIATs running all over the place, costing 52 each :roll:

seemed to have mucked up the d/l, so now can only play the 3.99 demo, even if i could use the campaigns in 3.0 i dont think i would, any chance of a full d/l of 3.99j, or even doin a 4.0 now, or are you waiting around from all the other countries stuff, although personally i think the improvements to 3.0 up to this point are more than enough to merit a 4.0, with far east coming in the form of a 5.0 :o

a feature that might be usefull, especially for those of us who've played the demo a lot, is a claer stats function from the scoreboard, and as its quite tricky to get less than very good on that, old abysmal scores are getting shunted off
________
BMW R75/5 history
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:15 pm

simple way to get an offensive flamethrower - mod it into a squad, works brilliantly, although the picture doesnt quite work, same if you stick a bazooka or mortar in, quite why i put i mortar in an infantry squad ill never know...

something else that ive just remembered, ive seen on the data files that the loaders now have weapons, but because they are loaders all of their ammo ends up bein used for the flamethrower/bazooka/mortar, and they have no rifle ammo. also info in the help files for how much ammo is allowed for each weapon could be usefull, as currently whenever i have a stab at modding i get the too much ammo message
________