3.99i - Jerky Setup Scrolling is Back

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

3.99i - Jerky Setup Scrolling is Back

Post by Andy Brown » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:06 am

Unfortunately, I hadn't got round to playing with 3.99i before now.

I immediately noticed that the almost-impossible-to-handle slow, very jerky scrolling during setup that was fixed so well in 3.99f is now back again.

Andy

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:52 am

3.99k Still re-broken

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:17 am

3.99q. Problem still there.

It's definitely got something to do with either the darkened area of the map during setup or the text that appears on it.

When I'm setting up for defensive games, as long as I keep the screen displaying only my setup zone ie there's no darkened area on the main map, scrolling is fine.

The moment I scroll up to include some of the darkened area in the main window, the scroll rate slows right down and becomes impossibly jerky.

It is a real nuisance, especially when I'm trying to scroll around the darkened area to get some idea of the terrain before the game starts.

Can NOTHING be done about this?

Andy Brown

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am

It's definitely because of the greyed out area. I draw a hashed pattern over the game area and the more of the grey area that is on the screen the slower it gets. It's when the total time to draw everything plus this grey area exceeds the frame time (75 ms) that it gets jerky.

The problem went away on your computer because I optimised a lot of stuff in the grey-out routine, but it came back because I increased the frame rate from 100ms to 75ms a frame, and my guess is that it is taking your computer something like 85ms to do a frame.

I'm surprised though because on my computer (which is two years old and just uses the on-board video chips) takes only about 20ms to do a frame when I drag the screen to fill the window with greyed out area, and it's set at 1280x1024 and 32 bit colour.

Could you give me the specs of your computer? And how old is it? And maybe there are more up to date graphics drivers for your video card which may speed it up as it seems like this one "AND" operation is really running slowly.

I could just scrap the greyed out area idea, but it would be a shame as I can't think of anything else that would look as nice.

Anyone else having similar problems?!

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:02 am

Sean,

I've sent you a Dxdiag be email. My system is only 6 months old.

How can I find out the fps of my machine?

Andy

rich12545

Post by rich12545 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:14 am

I have the same problem. It's a p4 1.8 gig, 32 meg geforce 2 nvidia chip, xp pro on a laptop. I have the latest drivers for everything.