Up to beta version 3.99m now!

Real time World War II combat simulation
Sean OConnor

Up to beta version 3.99m now!

Post by Sean OConnor » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:55 am

Improvements are:

- You can play as Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, NZ or Australian now - thanks Paolo, that was an amazing amount of work you did!

- I've added a jungle landscape and desert landscapes are much more interesting now with Paolo's new graphics.

- There is a fantastic new set of sounds for weapons firing - thanks Ross!

- Flamethrowers have less range and less ammo now to make them less powerful.

- You can have flamethrower tanks now.

- The data for news headlines during campaigns is in .txt files so is moddable.

- The data for where you are posted depending on your nationality is now all in .txt files too so is moddable as well.
Last edited by Sean OConnor on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:57 am

not to be rude but my god that bells annoying, and ive only gone through four reports (on the news bit)

also in the brit arty section, they arent in order (17,6,25), and the 25 pounder costs less than the 6 :!:

other than that, as i havent been able to see most of the updated stuff due to the demo being limited to what it is, all is good, loving the sounds, much easier to tell apart the MGs
________
iolite vaporizer
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Andy wrote:also in the brit arty section, they arent in order (17,6,25), and the 25 pounder costs less than the 6 :!:
The 25 pdr was an artillery weapon. It was given a secondary anti-tank capability to bridge the gap while the ineffective 2 pdr anti-tank gun was being replaced by the more powerful 6 pdr.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:15 pm

OK, so I only get Pacific/Burma terrain if I choose Jungle?

(I thought "Jap v Aussie, Pacific Islands, Villages" might give me some sort of tropical built-up area. "Pacific Islands, Lowlands" still looks like Belgium :) )

I'm not the sort to master the tools to do it myself but the New Zealand flag should only have four stars. If whoever did it could delete the 5th, small star and move the right hand star down to be a bit more (but not quite) level with the left hand one, it would look a lot better.

STILL got that slow, jerky scrolling during setup. I can't understand how it was fixed for 3.99f but that it's come back since then.

Andy

Paolo Sforza

Post by Paolo Sforza » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:20 am

Andy's absolutely right on the NZ flag (sorry to all Kiwis). Eagle-eyed too, that star is tiny. Thanks Andy. I'll send out a correction with some more Far East vehicles and a much better set of US Marine Corps section organisations that I've been working on. I've also discovered some typos here and there and will send out as and when corrected. This'll be via a download from my website and I'll post details when ready - probably be within a week or so. If anyone spots any errors then please post to the Pacific War thread and I'll be happy to correct. Similarly, if there are any suggestions for units or terrain (I didn't provide many extra terrain objects) then I'll try and do these, normal time pressures permitting, or maybe folks could have a go themselves - it very easy. Sean's new mask and rotate tools make this a joy.

The British (plus Commonwealth) 25pdr had a long and illustrious anti-tank role which is well documented. My own personal view of how anti-tank/field guns with dual capabilty should work in the game, is that this should be a double supply issue. Guns should have so many AT rounds (good against armour, but almost useless against anything else) and/or - players choice (?) - so many HE rounds (great against unarmoured and with limited direct fire effect against armour). Ammunition should chosen by the crew (the AI) for the appropriate target type - HE for unarmoured, AT for armoured and maybe buildings.

Also, almost nearing completion beside the additional Far East stuff are units for the Spanish Civil War, Polish forces in 1939 (with a few additional early Soviet units too) and later units for those Poles fighting in the West, and finally for the Winter War between the Finns and Soviets.
These should all be out within a couple of weeks or so.

Cheers.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 am

Andy Brown wrote: STILL got that slow, jerky scrolling during setup. I can't understand how it was fixed for 3.99f but that it's come back since then.
I think the jerkiness will have returned on some computers because I upped the frame rate the game plays at from about 11 frames/sec to 13. The problem happens if your computer can't redraw the whole screen within that time so it has to skip frames, so my guess is that your computer was just at this limit before I increased the frame rate.

The slow bit seems to be the greying out of the area you can't position your troops. If you drag the screen so there is less grey showing then you should find it speeds up. I could just scrap the grey thing and draw a line instead but that would be a shame as I think the grey looks better.

Andy, I'll send you an email and see if I can optimise things further.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 am

Andy wrote:not to be rude but my god that bells annoying, and ive only gone through four reports (on the news bit)
Is it really that bad!? It only happens a few times in between campaigns so I'm surprised it's that annoying. I'll scrap it though if other people hate it that much too but I thought it was nice to have some sort of sound effect when dialog boxes appear.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:28 am

Paolo Sforza wrote: Also, almost nearing completion beside the additional Far East stuff are units for the Spanish Civil War, Polish forces in 1939 (with a few additional early Soviet units too) and later units for those Poles fighting in the West, and finally for the Winter War between the Finns and Soviets.
These should all be out within a couple of weeks or so.
Cheers.
Paolo, you are a star!

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:54 pm

Can we use the CM idea of mines in FF? PLEASE!
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:08 pm

do be a dear and explain
________
Vaporizers
Last edited by Andy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwas

Post by qwas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:40 pm

?? Mines in Firefight
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:15 pm

yeah, far too many abbreviations for my liking. what can i say, im 17 and old fashioned

for some reason thought there would be an in-depth explanation of mines, but cant for the life of me figure out what it would be except 'put bombs in the ground' :wink:
________
Eddie Irvine
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:17 pm

Bombs put in the ground exploding as soon as someone puts his foot on it (well, for basic mines at least).
Anyway I don't think mines in Firefight would be a too great idea. If you had defence place them at will all around the map they could unbalance the game alot, if you had engineers place them while the game was on there would be little opportunity to reasonably use them.
Anyway I'm curious to hear details on that idea, maybe I just don't see a sane way right now.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:37 am

There's a topic on the Critical Mass forum about mines. He's referring to that.

sid6.7

Post by sid6.7 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:58 am

yeah it would slow the game down too much...

i vote no on mines...
if you run..you'll only die tired