[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Up to beta version 3.99m now!

Up to beta version 3.99m now!

Real time World War II combat simulation

Postby Quitch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Quitch

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:31 pm

Not logged in, but I went back to play a random game on very hard to see if I understood what you're saying. It seems to me that once you engage the enemy on the harder levels there is very liitle you can do by way of maneouvring your troops as they come under so much fire that they are pinned down and clinging on for dear life. So it's about positioning before the battle, not movement, counter-attack or outflanking during the battle on defence and on the harder modes as you just don't have the reserves to be able to do this.

I had four units with panzerfausts and two AT guns. My far right unit was wiped out within 2 minutes. My centre unit took out one Sherman with a Panzerfaust before another Sherman took out both my AT and rolled over my centre unit. My other centre had 50% casualties from shelling and my left unit couldn't move to the centre as it was pinned down. The CPU took its own tank out in a artillery barrage so basically I sat there with everyone pinned down and not moving. 21 minutes into the game they wiped me out and took the objective without me having been able to move a single unit.

So, accepting that there is little or no possibility of moving troops tactically in these scenarios, how does beating the very hard level make you "the best"? It's about positioning before the battle, and considering how you have no way of knowing where in the large area you have to defend to meet tanks, infantry and whatever else, isn't it down, in some part at least, to a lot of luck that you manage to position your men exactly where they are needed to negate the threat?

I accept that if you think hard levels are too easy you've probably spent a lot of time playing video games, but the most successful games, commercially, are ones with the broadest appeal and being too easy or too difficult never makes appeal particularly broad.

I worked at a publisher in the past - so I'm afraid I won't be able to feed back your comments.

Postby Quitch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:57 pm

They also have good marketing and a major publisher ;)
Quitch

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:43 pm

Andy Brown

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:57 pm

Andy Brown

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 pm

something ive only noticed with the latest version (i think) - your infantry runs away from your own tanks, this makes close tank support ridiculously difficult, and also the beginning of advances really annoying. i think its with the AI going 'shite, a tank', rather than 'shite an ENEMY tank'. other than that and a squad of infantry for some nation at sometime having 12 guys with a description of '3 rifles, 3 smg, 1 lmg' (7 guys), i see no problems with this one. still wishing for a repeat co-ordinates option for the arty tho....
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Andy Brown » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:28 pm

Andy Brown

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:44 pm

3.99p, like o but with pistol sounds added (o crashed every time a pistol shot was fired, because the sound file wasnt there)
________
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Postby Andy Brown » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:14 am

OK, I got round to checking out the "infantry run away from friendly tanks" feature in 3.99p today.

I'm kinda torn by this one. As a old grunt, I can say that it's best to keep as far away from friendly tanks as possible. They don't always see you, you see, and the last thing you want is for 30 tons of steel to be slamming into emergency reverse when you're standing right behind it.

Also, they do attract fire, which is usually unhealthy for anyone nearby who's not protected by a foot of rolled homogeneous armour[*]

So the 3.99p behaviour of firefight troops is not unreasonable. I note it only happens when the individual soldiers come within 10 metres of a tank. While I agree that this is a bit annoying at the start of the battle when you're trying to get everything organised and the enemy has yet to show itself, I have to say that I'm probably about 2/3rds in favour of it to 1/3rd against.

I would be completely in favour of it except for one thing. The troops act as if friendly AFVs were enemy. Instead of just avoiding them, they duck away and go to ground as if they were hostile and that does look daft.

My suggestion to Sean would be not to worry about it unless it's the absolute last thing you need to sort out before releasing v4 and, if you are going to do anything about it, re read what I've posted here before deciding how you're going to fix it. OTOH, if you decide just to undo it, I can live with that. Soldiers WERE killed being run over by enemy tanks!

([*] A perfect example happened to me in a recent game. Using 3.99m, I had a tank engaged by about four enemy anti-armour systems. The AI directed it to take cover behind a hedge where a section of infantry were deployed. I watched three soldiers from that section get taken out by anti-tank fire aimed at the tank that was almost right on top of them. The unit roster actually showed them killed by armour-piercing rounds! )

P.S. Another reason for infantry to stay away from tanks is that they can explode quite spectacularly when they get hit.

Regards,

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Previous

Return to Firefight