[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - More interesting campaigns

More interesting campaigns

Real time World War II combat simulation

More interesting campaigns

Postby Garnier » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:36 pm

Garnier

Postby Sean OConnor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:44 pm

Sean OConnor

Postby Greatgraddage » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:26 pm

The thing firefight really needs campaign wise is for the campaign to be more dynamic, units carried over, if you lose you have to retake it later etc. That would take the game to another level!
Greatgraddage

Postby Garnier » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:02 pm

I noticed the newspaper headlines had random stuff in them. I'd say something like this:

6/JUN/1944
8, GERMAN, 9,1, COUNTRY_FRANCE, TERRAIN_VILLAGES
2, GERMAN, 8,2, COUNTRY_ITALY, TERRAIN_DRY

The date is when the campaign can change, the first numbers (8,2) are the chance(out of ten) to be posted in that theatre. The other numbers are the chance of each battle for the period until you get a new deployment of being the attacker or defender.

This example gives the small possibility that you will remain fighting in italy instead of going to normandy. I would work on the campaigns for you if you could implement some randomness.
Garnier

Postby Quitch » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:51 am

Quitch

Postby Andy Brown » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:58 pm

I've just done a campaign file for New Zealand and I'll cut-and-paste a copy of it to the post after this one.

Although I did it for the New Zealand .txt file, I guess you could copy it to any of the campaign files if you wanted to play with a different nationality.

I've tried to make it as variable as possible, while sticking to the basic historical framework of New Zealand operations in WW2.

Most of the campaign is in North Africa and Italy. Where actions were fought in other places (eg Greece and Crete), I've left the country as NORTHAFRICA because the other countries don't exist.

[I notice that COUNTRY_XXX..X only seems to affect the names that are displayed on the map and I was wondering if I could create new countries simply be creating new sub-folders and files in the "Place Names" folder?]

I've achieved variety by changing at least one campaign variable usually every month and sometimes fortnightly. Where operations went on for some time in one particular place, I've alternated from ATTACK to DEFEND and changed TERRAIN_ where it's appropriate to do so. For example, in March 1943, the Allies were driving Rommel back to Tunis and out of Africa but I've scheduled a defensive battle to represent the German attack at Medenine, even though this lasted only a few days, and I've used DRY terrain instead of DESERT because, although still pretty desert-like, this part of Africa wasn't quite as barren as the Western Desert back in Cyrenaica.

The only time I've got one entry covering more than 6 weeks is early in 1944 where I've got three months of ATTACK against GERMAN in TERRAIN_HILLS. This represents the struggle for Cassino and, from the Allied point-of-view, it should be a long and frustrating experience! :)

Other points to note are:

I've got the kiwis fighting the FRENCH in early 1942. The NZ Division was in Syria during this time, basically reconstituting and training after the Crusader offensive that relieved Tobruk. They didn't actually fight the Vichy French in Syria but Firefight doesn't do long periods out of the line and it makes for something different.

The trip to the Pacific represents the few operations by 3 NZ Div against the Japanese before it was decided that New Zealand could not support two divisions and 3 Div was disbanded. These ops occured at the time that 2 NZ Div was out of action preparing for Italy so it fits in quite nicely.

The final battle against the RUSSIAN represents the face off at Trieste against Yugoslav partisans who wanted to capture that town for themselves. Historically, there was no actual fighting but there might have been so I thought it make a good fight to end on.

I might do a couple of other campaigns over Christmas. The Russian Front in particular is screaming for a proper campaign file.

Cheers,

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Firefight New Zealand Campaign

Postby Andy Brown » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:01 am

1/APR/1941, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_HILLS
16/APR/1941, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_DRY
1/MAY/1941, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_VILLAGES
16/MAY/1941, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_DRY
1/JUN/1941, GERMAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_HILLS
1/JUL/1941, ITALIAN, DEFEND, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_DESERT
1/AUG/1941, ITALIAN, ATTACK, COUNTRY_NORTHAFRICA, TERRAIN_DESERT