HMG Behaviour

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

HMG Behaviour

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:01 am

I'm a little concerned at the way HMGs behave on the Firefight battlefield.

During the first few minutes of a battle, they seem to fire very aggressively, quickly chewing through two or three hundred rounds.

Once they get down to about 100-200 rounds however, they tend not to fire at all. Further more, once they're down to 100-200 rounds and they get commanded to fire at a particular target (using the F-key/"Fire" button) they seem to fire one burst at the designated target (if the player is lucky) and then quit firing again.

I have noticed this in every game I have played using HMGs and would very much like to see it tweaked. I can't even begin to guess what causes it but it gets very frustrating sitting through tight defensive games with HMGs that, despite having a decent number of rounds left, WON'T FIRE AT THE ENEMY!! :x

It would be great if this could be explained and fixed.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:03 pm

They're just trying to conserve their ammo as they start to run low.

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:32 pm

seems to save it for closer ranges, problem as i see it is that the first 400rds dissappear for not much affect due to the large range used at
________
easy vape review
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:47 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:They're just trying to conserve their ammo as they start to run low.

I thought it might be something like that but the algorithm needs adjusting. There's no point in conserving ammo if they're not going to use it at some stage !! They get no points for taking unused ammo back home with them, after all. :)

HMGs need to be a little lighter on the trigger at the beginning of a game and they need to fire more frequently when the rounds are getting low. At the moment, they blaze away at the first enemy sightings but sit around and just watch bigger and juicier targets that develop as the game progresses.

Andy Brown

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:52 pm

Andy wrote:seems to save it for closer ranges

That is my impression as well. The problem is that, both historically and in order to prolong their survival in a typical Firefight game, HMGs tend to be sited to engage at longer ranges. It's what they're designed for. It's what they do :)

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:25 pm

if you wanted short range defence, why not get a recce squad - you can get 9 men + weapons for the same price. i reckon to be worth the money they should have a lot more ammo, but be slightly more sparing with it at long range
________
GM Iron Duke engine history