Question on Objectives

Real time World War II combat simulation
Silent

Question on Objectives

Post by Silent » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:10 am

I am not a war and battle expert, so this will be a silly question to scholars of WW2. I apolgize in advance.

In Firefight, your goal is to protect or take over villages, farms and hills.

I know why villages are important, but why farms and hills? How important are they? Why are you there, having to seize those hills and farms? They don't need saving, people in towns do.

It always bug me, that why I ask. Again, if it is a silly question with an obivous answer, I apoligze. But I always found it confusing.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:48 am

Basically you have to take these thingies in order to conquer towns as not only a defending enemy would try to halt your advance before you reach the town (making you fight in the hills or farms) but also these areas are important for your army when advancing as hills provide better view of the terrain ahead and improve the range of your artillery, farms make great quarters or command posts as that way it's way more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. Well, these are just a few reasons...

Andy Brown

Re: Question on Objectives

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:38 am

Silent wrote:I know why villages are important, but why farms and hills? How important are they? Why are you there, having to seize those hills and farms? They don't need saving, people in towns do.

Tactics is all about possession of vital ground, which usually means hills, because they overlook everything else. I often find it frustrating that Firefight asks me to occupy some obscure wood when there's a commanding hill a couple of hundred metres away. OTOH, the chances are that, in order to secure the wood, I'll need to put something on the hill anyway, so I suppose it evens out. To capture a Firefight objective, which may or may not be a sensible one, you will first almost certainly have to fight for some other terrain features which will be tactically important.

Villages and, to a lesser extent, farms tend to be important, in real life as well as in Firefight, because of the protection their buildings provide. This makes them ideal strongpoints, often on the approaches to something else. Defending in Firefight, I will always occupy a village or farm if it can be tied into the defence of the objective even only slightly. In particular, the troops withstand artillery much better inside buildings.

Cheers,

Andy Brown