All hail the mighty anti-tank guns

Real time World War II combat simulation
Quitch

All hail the mighty anti-tank guns

Post by Quitch » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 am

Is it just me, or are infantry almost pointless in defence? I just played a defence mission where I bought three ATGs and three squads of infantry and two recon teams and a bazooka.

I placed the recon teams in the two primary wood areas to watch for incoming. I one rifle squad in a wood on the left, one in some buildings on the right and one somewhere else (or was it two infantry squads?). The two of the ATGs were placed on hills either side of the objective where they could watch the approaches, but being on the side of the hill couldn't be fired on or spotted from the flanks. The third gun was on the objective with a commanding view of the main approach.

The game as a mix of tanks and infantry.

I won, with seven of mine dead but over 60 enemy dead. The enemy drove down the centre with their tanks and infantry. The tanks were destroyed by the ATGs before the infantry arrived (they got a little ahead) and then the infantry tried to swarm the centre. My ATGs just fired over and over, and every shell pinned half the enemy army making artillery easy. I don't think a single enemy opened fire on my ATGs.

By the end of the game my infantry squads had killed about three men between them, while my guns had slaughtered the enemy, also pinning them at the same time as killing them. I was left wondering why I'd bothered buying any infantry at all.

Thoughts, anyone?

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:25 pm

I think you just positioned your ATGs very well!

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:11 pm

The AI does seem a little over focused. It doesn't always seem to hit the centre anymore, but it doesn't spread out enough. It could do with at least two focus points as I saw in the above game it funneled its large number of troops into a single area and two guns pinned a company.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:41 am

Anti-tank guns are also good infantry killers if they're sighted to take advantage of their long range.

But note that you'll probably need a forward screen of infantry to spot them.

In a "squad v ATG" situation that is under 200 metres (ie well within rifle range), I'd put my money on the squad every time.

Cheers,

Andy Brown

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:47 am

But because the AI tends to focus its infantry, if the first squad gets caught there's no hope of rescue since the other squads are probably following the same route.

In situations like that, the only time the AI has broken through is when it brings artillery down on the ATG.