Campaign Format

Real time World War II combat simulation
Derek Hunter

Campaign Format

Post by Derek Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 am

Hi,

I'm new to Firefight (and this message board) so apologies if this question has been asked before. I had a quick look through the topics and it looks like it hasn't, but I might have missed it.

Is the format for the Campaign file (.CMP) 'open', i.e. can a campaign file be modified?

I'm asking this question because I'm still searching for a decent engine to run PBEM meta-campaigns with.

Cheers.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:15 pm

I'd be happy to email you the C structure for my .cmp files, but I don't see how you could use this to make a PBEM system?

Derek Hunter

Post by Derek Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks Sean that would be great! :D

Broadly my plan is to have the server side s/w manage the front line. This creates a series of small engagements that people can download and play at their leisure, uploading the results after the fight. If a particular engagement is not downloaded then my AI will evaluate the battle and update the results itself.

Obviously everyone that plays will need a copy of FireFight :wink:

First step is to rustle up a bit of code that can create valid scenario files. Terrain is going to be an issue but I'll think about that later.

The structures for the .GAM file would be useful as well (probably more useful actually). Also, I'm very glad to hear that FireFight is written in 'C', although the small EXE sizes is a bit of a giveaway!

Derek Hunter

Post by Derek Hunter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Sean, do you need my email address or can you pull it from the forum?