[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Sean O'Connor's Games • View topic - Impressions from a new player

Impressions from a new player

Real time World War II combat simulation

Impressions from a new player

Postby Dunkirk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:09 am

Hello.

I just purchased this game this week (v 3.99t), and I'm having trouble tearing myself away from the computer, now!

I have a few questions and observations; I hope the veterans here can offer some comments:

1) Fighting in a campaign in France, as British, I had a Sherman tank that refused to move whenever enemy armor came into my LOS. I set a new position and orientation for it, and it would rotate, but not move. Also, it was reluctant to fire on the enemy (both a mobile gun type of truck, and an Auskampwagon, I think), even though it had a clear line of fire, was not receiving any incoming fire, and was considerably behind the infantry who were pinned down and getting chewed up. I saw no indication that the tank was surpressed (does that even happen?), but it just wouldn't move when I ordered it, or it would move part way and stop. Was the tank damaged? Were the crew frightened? I lost momentum and got bogged down, because I couldn't bring this tank up to dislodge enemy infantry!

2) I have had occassion to roll a tank in to engage enemy infantry. Sometimes they die, sometimes they rout, but sometimes I find the tank is running up and down on their positions, firing into the ground, and their muzzle blasts keep flashing away at infantry located elsewhere. Are these just very well dug in troops? Must they be shot, or can I run them down? I have noticed that my tanks will overrun friendly infantry without harm.

3) Along those lines, sometimes, when I have enemy infantry pinned down and taking fire from multiple sides, sometimes they will jump up and rush into my infantry. They start running around, seemingly bumping into my soldiers, who continue to shoot away at them. Is there a hand-to-hand feature, or are they just breaking and running randomly?

4) Also, does blue-on-blue fire happen in this game? I have had friendlies cross-firing at an enemy in the middle, and I don't appear to take damage, even though they appear to be shooting right into each other. Can friendly mortars, artillery, hand grenades or tank guns cause friendly fire?

5) I believe I read here that infantry is of varying quality. Is there a way to determine a unit's experience/status? Some seem more hearty, and are inclined to bravery. Others just hunker down and die in place. This is maddening, especially when they refuse to move to a new, designated position, and they aren't receiving small arms fire. Does adjusting arty fire serve to supress infantry? It is frustrating to watch them sit there, and when the arty 0s in on them, a full company can be wiped out with one or two volleys.

6) The AI is some of the best I have seen in a game like this. I had units scouting forward w/out making contact, and it wasn't until I started to bring up my other units that all Hell broke loose and I started received enfilading fire on the main body, including from enemy infantry my scouting unit (LMG squad) walked right past, without detecting or being shot by. Devious! And those 88s are bloody lethal...

Thanks and cheers!
Dunkirk

Postby Andy Brown » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:40 am

Dunkirk,

Most of the answers to your questions are covered in other threads which you should search for. Brief answers:

1. Sometimes AFVs seem to "freeze up". It's a morale thing. They may snap out of it if you wait long enough and move the battle away from them.

2. Nobody digs in. AFVs can kill enemy inf by running them over.

3. Probably routing and confused.

4. Arty and heavy wpns can cause friendly cas. Small arms and MGs don't (a flaw in the system).

5. Not from the game. Check the text files in the "Infantry" sub-folder. Within their basic troop-quality level, each soldier may be rated differently - each squad seems to have its heroes and bunnies.

6. Tha AI is actually not very good but it combines with the fog-of-war to provide a reasonable challenge.

Cheers,

Andy Brown
Andy Brown

Postby Dunkirk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep looking around the site.
Dunkirk

Return to Firefight