Nice job on 4.0! A few bugs I've found

Real time World War II combat simulation
daehttub_2000

Nice job on 4.0! A few bugs I've found

Post by daehttub_2000 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi Sean,

4.0 is a great improvement. You should update the ?latest version? post to let people know. It took me a while to figure out that the new game was available.

I?d like to point out a few bugs and quibbles I?ve found after a few games:

1. Some tanks/vehicles don?t fire:
a. French:
i. H35
ii. AMD
2. Armament information is incorrect on some tanks:
a. French:
i. R40 has only one LMG not two
ii. R35 has only one LMG not two
iii. H35 has only one LMG not two
iv. CharB has only one LMG not two. It?s supposed to have two
3. Italian L3 Veloce still has only 18 rounds of 20mm ammo instead of 118.
4. Friendly troops ?rout? when their own tank goes by. Really stupid and frustrating quirk. It destroys unit cohesion and the position. It makes it impossible to locate guns and troops near tanks. Not at all realistic. There should be a friendly ?flag? to halt that subroutine.
5. Headquarters troops are still trigger happy. Not realistic. They invariably shoot first and give up their position right away and are killed right away. They should have a suppressed fire function until the user commands them to fire or until the enemy is really close.
6. Some AI quirks still when guns or tanks target troops when enemy tanks are in range or seem not to ?see? enemy armor in range.

I?ve just started playing so I?ll let you know as I find other ?bugs?.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:57 am

So is version 4.0 really finally out!? And if so.. are there any differences between it and version 3.99v?

Fenris

'Latest News'?

Post by Fenris » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 am

Hmm. This hasn't yet been posted to the 'Latest News' section of the mainpage...

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 am

Thanks for spotting those bugs and I think I've got them all corrected. Version 4.0 wasn't out when daehttub_2000 posted that message, but I have just released it now - it's basically the same as 3.99v but with those tank bugs fixed.

BTW the friendly troops aren't really routing, they're just getting out of the way.

Fenris

Documentation nit; turret front armor specs?

Post by Fenris » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:22 pm

The table of tanks in the documentation lists the Jagdpanther as having the same 75mm cannon as the turreted PzV, but the data file correctly specifies the 88L71.

Leafing through the data files, one thing that bothers me is that the ArmorTurretFront setting seems to be very high for the vehicles I've checked (e.g. M4A3 -- 165mm @ 60deg, Pzkfw VI.B 280@81, Pzkfw V.G 210@79). The armor thicknesses for other locations seem normal too me, but the M4A3 turret front I was expecting to be more like 75mm, the Pzkfw VI.B more like either 180mm/9 deg (Krupp turret) or 60-100mm/variable (Porsche turret -- curved), and the Pzkfw V.G more like 110mm.

Another spot check, Pzkfw IV.J, shows a normal turret front armor thickness of 50@80, which is reasonably similar to the 50@11 I'm seeing on 'Achtung Panzer!', if one assumes an orthogonal definition of angle. Churchill turret front armor is set at 89@90, which is ballpark IIRC... So it's not just an across-the-board overestimate AFAICT.

Is this to account for something else, such as face-hardening, manufacturing issues, or what-not (although an M4A3 turret better armored than a Churchill turret seems odd...)?

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:14 am

My impression is that the front turret armour of most tanks in the game adds in the gun mantlet as well.

In some cases, this is justified, in others, less so. I'm not an armour expert so I couldn't say which is which.

Andy Brown