Wish List

Real time World War II combat simulation
Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Sat May 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Just wondering how difficult it would be to include some sort of ammo resupply facility.

I was thinking along the lines of an object that the game would treat as a dead soldier that other soldiers could scavenge ammo from. Purchase points-wise, it would be about the same value as a squad. It would be deployable during setup.

I can see it being more useful in defence than attack as, in my experience, defenders tend to run out of ammo more than attackers.

Not a high priority. Just thinking out loud!

Andy

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Sun May 30, 2010 11:12 pm

One thing that I would like to see would be a variable endurance to losses of the enemy commander.
Defence often ends with only about friendly one left alive and enemy withdrawing with thrice as much left.
I think that player often wins only by being completely ruthless and pressing on regardless of losses. It would be nice if the AI would do it from time to time.

TheKangaroo

Post by TheKangaroo » Mon May 31, 2010 8:55 pm

I was thinking along the lines of an object that the game would treat as a dead soldier that other soldiers could scavenge ammo from. Purchase points-wise, it would be about the same value as a squad. It would be deployable during setup.

How about including a halftrack version for attacks or spread defences, too? Trucks obviously would play along even better gameplay-wise, as they would easily be destroyed, but well... needs truck graphics, would look weird going through rough terrain and so on.

One thing that I would like to see would be a variable endurance to losses of the enemy commander.

I think that goes right along the lines of having different 'styles of command' available to the AI, which often match starts debates about faction doctrines, stereotypes and statistics. Regardless of those issues the idea itself is sound but probably - as most things having to do with AI - a nightmare to implement.

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:13 am

I wouldn't mind a binocular function for the commander. Just to make it possible to do a quick recce before sending troops out and to make it possible to spot some units before sending out patrols etc.

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Possibly the coolest thing ever would be to make the ability for us to click on a guy and then be able to see his ground-level view of the battlefield. That would be awesome but completely beyond the framework of the game.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:34 pm

TheKangaroo wrote:

I think that goes right along the lines of having different 'styles of command' available to the AI, which often match starts debates about faction doctrines, stereotypes and statistics. Regardless of those issues the idea itself is sound but probably - as most things having to do with AI - a nightmare to implement.

Well, there's probably a an amount of losses or something similar that causes the withdrawal now. It's probably just a question of making that value random.

Also, a new troop type - fanatic that wouldn't get suppressed or frightened could be useful to simulate banzai charges and similar would be nice.
Too bad that there aren't varied infantry weapons. IIRC banzai charges were pretty good against forces armed with bolt-action rifles but were shot to pieces by Garand-armed Americans.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:45 am

Perturabo wrote:Well, there's probably a an amount of losses or something similar that causes the withdrawal now. It's probably just a question of making that value random.

In my experience, an assaulting AI-controlled enemy seems to withdraw once it's suffered around 50% casualties.

Andy

blaster339

Post by blaster339 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13 am

-Fog of War

-Ability to select 1 or more squads(You know the mouse that draw bozes :3)

-lol i forgot my other one

-Ability to make the infantry garrison to buildings :3 (So ur ppl can have more defense from tanks)

Lol
that time i just got pwned by tanks

the space predator

Post by the space predator » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm

blaster339 wrote: -Fog of War

not useful, it's not in the game "spirit
blaster339 wrote:-Ability to select 1 or more squads(You know the mouse that draw bozes :3)

Can be useful, but it will be hard to do.
blaster339 wrote:-Ability to make the infantry garrison to buildings :3 (So ur ppl can have more defense from tanks)

They already do this, when they are in the sqare of a house, they are in the house, and they are harder to shout.
I need to write something, so i create that signature.

Andy Brown

Post by Andy Brown » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:05 pm

blaster339 wrote:-Fog of War

Not sure what you mean by this. Any more fog-of-war would make the enemy just about invisible !! :)

Andy Brown

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:04 am

There's fog of war, it's just not visible :) .

Anyway, stuff that stops the game from being semi-realistic:
-Tank breakdowns, various types of damage, immobilization, etc.
Tanks could really get stuck on some types of ground, like mud, gravel, etc.
Most of Churchills during Dieppe raid got stuck on a gravel beach. There should be a chance for tanks to get stuck in buildings too.
Also, there should be a possibility of crew members getting wounded without destroying the tank.

-Anti-tank grenades, molotov cocktails, etc.

-Trenches, razor wires, mines and digging in - these were really important for defence.

Knut

Post by Knut » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 pm

When I hit the "End Game" drop down, I'd like to see a final results box of killed & wounded, as well as see the disposition of enemy troops.

It often takes far too long for a game to end by itself even after the AI has given up and is withdrawing its troops.

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Do the opposing forces patrol or are they simply placed on the map. I think it would be good if there were enemy patrols moving around the map trying to locate your forces.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:34 pm

UberMoo wrote:I wouldn't mind a binocular function for the commander. Just to make it possible to do a quick recce before sending troops out and to make it possible to spot some units before sending out patrols etc.

Hah, I remember using binoculars a lot when playing Operation Flashpoint with the Command Engine mod.
Without them, it's hard to know what's going on.

On the other hand, there's an ability to see everything that the player's units see.

UberMoo

Post by UberMoo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:47 pm

I also wish it was possible to spot enemy units before they spot you. I have on one occasion out flanked the opposition and been able to observe an enemy tank without him spotting me. I just wish it was possible, under the right circumstances, to see enemy troops if you are close enough and they haven't spotted you.