Just curious: do you have a license for Atlantis

Lead your people to safety before Atlantis disintegrates
Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:13 pm

just looks like handbags at dawn to me...

im thinking sean might be away, cos i havent seen him put any posts anywhere for a while now. dont think hed be replying to personal emails that simultaneously leak themselves into public view by the very same person bragging about how hes kept the matter private and that its none of our business :roll:
________
Mazda Biante
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this interesting discussion. I didn't want to comment here publically until I'd had a good chat to a copyright lawyer and he has basically agreed with everything Brice has stated here.

BlueHippo

Copyright

Post by BlueHippo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi Sean,

You said; "I didn't want to comment here publically until I'd had a good chat to a copyright lawyer and he has basically agreed with everything Brice has stated here."

I'm pleased to read that. So now you ADMIT you were infringing my copyright? Why else change my 'island' game to a 'planet' game! A public apology wouldn't have gone amiss!

What would also be fair to point out is you and I concluded our private discussion before this post. (For those following this case, Sean and I didn't agree.)

It was I who suggested you take legal advice. The changes which have been made are a direct result of my vigorously defending my copyright otherwise I believe you would have continued as before.

As a result you have now removed all references to RISK, STRATEGO and Escape from Atlantis from your website and changed your version of my game to make it look like a 'new' game.

Whether or not these 'adjustments' are sufficient to legalise your copy remains to be seen.

Bottom line is, your public aren't stupid. They known these 3 games are the original creation of others who came before you and that you are simply cashing in on the economic and moral rights of those who own the games today.

Julian
Games Inventor

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:40 pm

You said; "I didn't want to comment here publically until I'd had a good chat to a copyright lawyer and he has basically agreed with everything Brice has stated here."

I'm pleased to read that. So now you ADMIT you were infringing my copyright? Why else change my 'island' game to a 'planet' game! A public apology wouldn't have gone amiss!
Um, I think he meant he agreed with Brice ? your 'opponent' on this thread ? not you.

Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:26 am

I have held back until Sean publicly posted, so no more Mr. nice guy...
I'm pleased to read that.
I am pleased to read it too. That means that a lawyer in the UK who specializes in Copyright law agrees with ME. You ARE wrong.
So now you ADMIT you were infringing my copyright?
Which brings us back to the fact there is no infringment.

Julian, your problem is that you do not know what you are talking about, as has been proven to you with the cold hard facts of copyright law, which you cannot rewrite to suit your own needs. You really need to learn the difference between a Copyright, a Trademark and a Patent. You keep making a fool of yourself because you clearly have no understanding of what you are talking about. Claiming that somebody violated a copyright on something that cannot even be copyrighted is absurd and makes you look like a fool and a bitter one at that.

You obviously know that you are in the wrong and do not have a leg to stand on. If you were truly a professional and if you were in the right (which the law says you are not) you would not conduct yourself in the way you are.

1. If you were truly a professional and if you were in the right (which the law says you are not) you would not have contacted Sean directly and you would not have made your juvenile posts on this forum. Instead you would have hired a lawyer who would have issued a Cease & Desist to Sean.

2. If you were truly a professional and if you were in the right (which the law says you are not) and Sean did not comply with the Cease & Desist, you would have filed a suit in court claiming a copyright violation and sought an injunction preventing him from selling the game and sought monetary damages for the loss of income you have suffered from Sean selling the game.

However, since you are not a professional and you are clearly in the wrong (which the law says you are), you have resorted to the juvenile actions that you have because you know you cannot file a suit claiming copyright infringement for something that cannot legally be copyrighted. You also know you cannot be compensated for lost income for your product which is not even being sold (which isn't copyrighted anyway).
Why else change my 'island' game to a 'planet' game!
The only thing that you can copyright in a game is artwork and documentation. You cannot copyright a ruleset or title or anything else.
A public apology wouldn't have gone amiss!
Unlike you, Sean has nothing to apologize for. Well, perhaps he should apologize for allowing your abusive behavior on the forums.
It was I who suggested you take legal advice.
Perhaps you should have taken your own advice so you wouldn't keep making a fool of yourself with your blatantly obvious misunderstanding of the law.
defending my copyright otherwise I believe you would have continued as before.
Ah yes, the copyright violation on something that cannot be copyrighted.
As a result you have now removed all references to RISK, STRATEGO
Guess what? It is not illegal to make a Risk or Stratego clone. There are literally thousands of computer clones, some dating back to the early 70's. You cannot copyright the rulset to a game, so there is nothing wrong with making a clone of Risk or Stratego.

The only time the companies will care is if you use their product names which are usually trademarked. Even then, all they can do is issue a cease and desist to quit using their product name. They can't keep you from making the game.
Bottom line is, your public aren't stupid.
No we aren't stupid, but you obviously are with the nonsense you keep spewing.

What is even sadder is you talk about your game as a legacy for your children and grandchildren. Since you are not even selling your game, once can only conclude the only legacy you want to leave is one of a bitter old man who:

1. has no respect for international copyright law
2. thinks he is above the law and that it does not apply to him
3. has no problem harrassing others and publicly insulting them and falsely accusing them of illegal practices
4. obviously has no no morals to engage in the behavior you have on this forum

Indeed, what a legacy to pass on to your children and gandchildren :cry:

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:11 am

If you were truly a professional and if you were in the right (which the law says you are not) you would not conduct yourself in the way you are.
I'm starting to wonder if this character even owns the game, or just decided to stir up trouble here on these forums. I think Sean should just ban this guy and if he does really own the game than who cares anyways, he obviously can't take any legal action since Sean obviously isn't breaking any copyright laws.

just my 2 cents :wink:

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:16 am

i vote for a ban....that will end the matter here...and the rest of us
can move on and play these cool games....

qwas

Post by qwas » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 am

Ive lost track, ok, :?: Who is Brice?
Why did Sean switch from island to space?
Thankyou.
Proud member of Seans forum since 14th April 2005. 1 year and still counting.
Now to spam those 30 messages to get into 3rd place in post count. :D

I'd like to buy your soul please.
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyours ... lex_Rider2

Copyright

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Brice,

Thank you for your comments, contents of which have been duely noted.

Many of you on this forum will be pleased to hear this is my last post as I believe I have made my point. Anything else I have to say will be said to Sean directly.

What there is now is a greater awareness of IP law pertaining to games. Hopefully, others who are intent on invention may find out first what their rights are. In that respect Brice, you and I have done the games business a small service.

Julian
Games Inventor

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:38 pm

qwas wrote:Ive lost track, ok, :?: Who is Brice?
Why did Sean switch from island to space?
Thankyou.
Brice is a forum dweller who claims to be a retired games designer (who is only 36?! Git :))

The switch to a space theme is, as I understand it, to avoid the copyright placed on the Escape from Atlantis art.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:39 pm

Now guys, dont start hammering away at Julian now. I know it is sad, but lets just leave it at that.

Subject closed I hope?

Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Apologies, I misread previous post :oops:
Last edited by Brice Manuel on Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 pm

WTF? I was wishing I could retire that early, it would be a dream come true.

Brice Manuel

Post by Brice Manuel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:11 am

Apologies, I misread previous post :oops:

drwhite7

Post by drwhite7 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:24 am

Wow, I must say this whole issue was really interesting. I just read through all of it.