point me in the right direction?

Anything else! Ideas for new games, gossip, chat, jokes etc...
JBC

point me in the right direction?

Post by JBC » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:55 am

I want to design a card game program for the following simple game:

There are 2 players, 1 human & 1 computer. Each has 20 betting chips and there are already 20 in the bank.

Each are dealt 2 cards.

They must decide whether or not to bet a chip to get a new card.

If the player decides not to bet the hand is over and he folds his cards.

If the player bets and the new card falls between the two cards he already has he takes a chip from the pool and keeps his stake. If the new card does not fall between the two cards, he loses his stake to the pool.

The winner is the player with the most chips after a set number of hands.

Example: Player A is dealt a 4 clubs and 10 hearts. Player B is dealt 7 spades and 9 diamonds. To win, A must be dealt the 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 of any suit (suits are not important) and B can only win if dealt the 8 of any suit. A bets 1 chip and B folds. A is dealt 8 spades and wins 1 chip from the pool and his stake is returned. After 20 hands, A has 9 chips and B has 3 chips. A is the winner.

The trouble is I don't know where to start. I have no programing experience and don't know which programing language is best for this type of thing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 am

This seems pretty simple, so I recommend starting with an easy language; Visual Basic. It can do all the things you want (assuming you don't want a lot of animation).
My webcomic:

JBC

Post by JBC » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:46 am

Thanks OMJ, how do I start writing in Visual Basic? Do I need to get some kind of editor?

sharon

Post by sharon » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:34 pm

And if you dont want to learn Visual Basic ect you could always try this....

http://www.gamemaker.nl/index.html

Its great for making some simple games....even good ones once you get the hang of it!
will my pc ever be fast enough?

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:04 pm

To start writing in Visual Basic, you must unfortunately buy some sort of editor. They cost something like $100. I don't know if there are any free ones, but there just might be. I haven't looked. If you are intending to buy one, I recommend Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0. That's what I have, anyway...

What Sharon is recommending looks interesting. On the same note, you might try The Games Factory. http://www.clickteam.com/English/tgf.htm. However, it's better for action games and costs 30$ to register (otherwise you can only use it for 30 days).
My webcomic:

Goblinarcher

Post by Goblinarcher » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:02 am

there are plenty of free basic languiges out there, i would suggest doing a web serch for one and see if you like programming before dropping the steap
price of visual basic.
if you want to buy a basic languige you should also check out darkbasic becuse it uses directx and can make 3d games

C00l

Post by C00l » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:00 pm

flash is a good starting point. the actionscript is similar to c/c++ and it is easy to put together games just by dragging and dropping.