Longhorn

Anything else! Ideas for new games, gossip, chat, jokes etc...
Darren

Longhorn

Post by Darren » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:08 pm

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0 ... 58&tid=155

that article doesn't suprise me, just another way for microsoft to try to control the market. I guess it is time for people to start making the migration from windows to OS X, or some form of unix. here is a quote from it...
In short, this means that if Longhorn detects that your monitor is not "secure" enough, then your premium video content won't play on it until you buy one that is.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:13 pm

Pardon my French, but WHAT THE FRAK(Galactica anyone?)!

That's why I'm sticking with 2000 Pro and 98SE until I can no longer play my games on and get drivers for them...

And OS X, no, try Linux. I'm already running a linux rig for a couple games and such, but I will never use a Mac!

Darren

Post by Darren » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:05 pm

you do know os x is basicly linux with a cool gui right (it is actually based off bsd, but their close enough :wink: )

Post by guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:21 am

well that fig'rs....pftz....

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:07 am

Of course I do, but I've never seen anyone at a LAN party with a custom OS X rig running UT2k4, at least not here, heh.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Slashdot is filled with Linux zealots, take what they bring to the table with a pinch of salt. Many things Microsoft have done have been declared the end of the world (product activation anyone?) and it hasn't happned yet, or even seemed likely.

When I run into a Linux fan who understands why Linux doesn't dominate the desktop market (and the reason isn't entirely Microsoft Windows) I will die of a heart attack.

Legacy

Post by Legacy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:35 pm

The reasons Linux isn't the dominant OS:

Windows is the OS generally put on systems made by PC manufacturers.

Since Windows is already the main OS, there is more support for it. Microsoft is a corporation that can fund development and other proects on a large scale with backing Linux just doesn't have.

Similarly, Linux is different, and has a lot more command line functionality, making it seem more advanced, though after using PHLAK(The first Linux I ever used), I find it hard to believe it is any more difficult to use.

Drivers are more readily available for Windows, as is third party software, since it is already on top.

Linux has too much flavor, hehe.

the majority of the reasons Linux isn't on top is that Windows has corporate backing and started this particular race on top. It's like having the largest/most territory in Slay, it just gives you the extra boost. If software and hardware developers would put more effort into making Linux-compatible products(especailly software, as I don't want to have to use a windows emulator to play some of my favorite games), then Linux would shoot ahead.

Now, I'm not opposed to Longhorn because I'm anti-Windows or pro-Linux. My favorite operating systems from least of the top five to most favorite are MSDOS, Windows 3.1, Linux, Windows 98SE, and Windows 2000 Pro. 98SE and 2000 Pro are about tied in my book, and I grew up with DOS, so I just love it. My opposition to this particular feature of Longhorn is the increase in Microsoft's control over what you do and how you do it. When I build a rig and install an OS, I don't want the manufacturer to tell me how I have to view my media, or to interfere with the use of my machine in the way I want. There is a fairly large group of devout Windows users who aren't pleased with what we've heard about Longhorn so far.

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:50 pm

Windows wasn't born top, nor was it top when Linux was born. Linux arrived at a time when there were a lot of OSes vying for attention. There isn't a rule in the universe stating that Windows must be the dominant OS, it simply won out over the others.

I know there's more to it than that, but these arguments have been covered before in more detail on other forums.

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:52 pm

Many things Microsoft have done have been declared the end of the world (product activation anyone?) and it hasn't happned yet, or even seemed likely.
that WAS the end of the world until product activation cracks came out, the only people product activation stops now are a few lamers who don't know how to use a search engine. I guess this whole moniter thing might be the same as there will probally eventually be mods and cracks into getting windows to think you are using the correct moniter.
Similarly, Linux is different, and has a lot more command line functionality, making it seem more advanced, though after using PHLAK(The first Linux I ever used), I find it hard to believe it is any more difficult to use.
that is not really true, you must not know how little some people know about computers, try getting them to install gentoo or debian on their system.
My favorite operating systems from least of the top five to most favorite are MSDOS, Windows 3.1, Linux, Windows 98SE, and Windows 2000 Pro. 98SE and 2000 Pro are about tied in my book, and I grew up with DOS, so I just love it.
MSDOS? I don't think that qualafies as an operating system :) , it is just a cheep knockoff of unix, and it is not even multi tasking

Quitch

Post by Quitch » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:20 pm

DOS is dreadful and I think 3.1 is worse because you're now stuck booting into Windows for some things and bootdiscs for others.

Windows XP is the first version of Windows I've really liked... I'd have been rather more fond of 2K if it weren't for the Athlon/VIA/AGP problems with the early versions. Another thing I like about XP is I can install it for someone and forget all about it... okay, I'd put on a free virus scanner and Microsoft anti-spyware, but then I'd leave it to update itself, run its own firewall... lovely.

Gentoo would be my favourite Linux build. Being able to strip the OS right down to exactly what I want and need... brilliant.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Darren wrote: MSDOS? I don't think that qualafies as an operating system :) , it is just a cheep knockoff of unix, and it is not even multi tasking
i think with desqview it kinda emulated multi-task...

MSDOS was cool for me i compare it to cars
MSDOS is like classic cars you can do more with one
and fix it your self... all the newer stuff you gotta take
to the shop and pay others lots of money to fix...

Post by guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:17 pm

[quote="Legacy"]The reasons Linux isn't the dominant OS:

Windows is the OS generally put on systems made by PC manufacturers.

quote]

i'll agree to a point with this...but guys come on
where there is a will there's a way esp. in the USA...
windows is just tops becuase at the end of the day
it does more for everyone then any other system
in general....if it really sucked it wouldnt fly...except
when you threw the machine out the window...:)

back to cars again...if it really sucked it crashes and
burns and dont last more then 1 year or so...we all
no the joke cars that never made it