Knowledge 360!

Anything else! Ideas for new games, gossip, chat, jokes etc...
Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Knowledge 360!

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:11 am

Ever wanted to test or share your wits? Well now you can right here! Post or quiz in any type of knowledge you want (Ex: Math, Language, Grammar, Science, History, etc.). Feel free to post a question and have people try to correctly answer it, or you can also just post a fact, law, or problem solved by you!

I'll start off with a very easy math problem.

Code: Select all

Find variable "N"

2(2N + 5) = 5N + 4

My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:41 am

2(2N + 5) = 5N + 4
4N + 10 = 5N + 4
10 = N + 4
N = 6

How about grammar:

Passive sentence--good or bad?
My webcomic:

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:44 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:2(2N + 5) = 5N + 4
4N + 10 = 5N + 4
10 = N + 4
N = 6
You certainly nailed that one!
Old Man Johnson wrote:
How about grammar:

Passive sentence--good or bad?
On a regular basis, it is bad! The active voice is much more lively and forceful. There are the exceptions for the passive tense, however. Instance? When there is a good reason not to name the doer or there is no clear doer of the action.

"Dan's house was burnt down last week." - Who's accident? That may be a private matter.

"The rock cracked." - This, in general, is better left "as is".

In conclusion, the active voice is most forceful and is almost always a better choice, yet the passive voice still has its time and place.

Science:

Code: Select all

Which of these is the correct formula for density?

(a) MASS/VOLUME (b) VOLUME/GRAVITY (c) VOLUME/MASS (d) VOLUME/√(MASS)? (e) [None of these]
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:34 am

Well, I'm hopeless at anything scientific but I'd say [e] if I remember well...
Now,
Read the following sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count aloud the F's in that sentence. Count them only once. Do not go back and count them again. Ready?
How many F's do you count?

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out.
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:38 pm

Let's try some logic

While visiting England recently, George W. Bush was invited to have tea with the Queen.
Given his recent political problems, he decides to take advantage of her years of leadership experience and asks her for her advice. She responds that she surrounds herself with the most intelligent people she can find and lets them do their jobs.
Intrigued with this novel theory, Bush asks her how she is able to tell if the people are intelligent.
"I do so by asking them a test question" responds the Queen. "Allow me to demonstrate."
The Queen then dials 10 Downing Street and asks to speak to Tony Blair. "Mr. Prime Minister, please answer a hypothetical question for me."
"I'll do my best, Your Majesty" responds Blair.
"Your mother has a child and your father has a child" says the Queen. "The child is not your brother or your sister. Who is the child?"
Tony Blair hesitates momentarily and then confidently replies, "Well, Your Majesty, I guess it would have to be me."
"Correct" says the Queen. "Thank you and good day to you Sir."
The Queen hangs up and says "Did you hear that Mr. Bush? See how clever he is."
Impressed, Bush replies "I certainly did. I'll definitely be using that one when I conduct my next Cabinet shuffle back in the US."
Upon returning to Washington, Bush decides he'd better put some of his senior Cabinet Members to the test. He summons Dick Cheney to his office and says, "Dick, I wonder if you could answer a question for me?"
"Why of course Sir" Cheney responds unenthusiastically, annoyed that the President was again seeking his input on something.
"Well, uh, let's say your mother has a child and your father too has a child. This child is not your brother and also is not your sister. Who is it?"
Somewhat surprised at this odd question, Cheney hems and haws and finally asks if he can have some time to think about it.
"Certainly" responds Bush.
Cheney imfootball and eating snack foods under the careful observation of the Secret Service on the lookout for choking).
" I know the answer to your question, you Idiot!! I know who the child is!!"
Bush, who was privately becoming a bit concerned at the delay in hearing back from Cheney, is delighted (when he finally remembers what it was that he asked). "Who is it Dick?" he asks.
With obvious pride, Cheney replies "It's Al Gore, George - its Al Gore!!"
Stunned, Bush shouts in disgust, "Wrong you idiot - it's Tony Blair!!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO YOU SAID YOU WANTED QUIZ, DIDN?T YOU ? WELL, THOSE OF YOU WHO SMILED, HERE IS YOUR TURN TO BE PUT TO THE TEST. NOW CONCENTRATE, REMAIN CALM, SOBER AND LOGICAL, AND ABOVE ALL READ CAREFULLY :

1. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth?
2. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?
3. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year?
4. A woman from New York married ten different men from that city, yet she did not break any laws. None of these men died and she never divorced. How was this possible?
5. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills?
6. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?
7. A taxi driver was called to take a group of passengers to the train station. The station is normally an hour away, but with traffic being extra heavy, it took a full hour and a half. On the return trip the traffic was still as heavy and yet it took only 90 minutes. Why?
8. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not?
9. How many times do you count the number 9 between 0 and 100 ?
10. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
11. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the "International Home Show". One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible?
12. After the new Canon Law that took effect on November 27, 1983, would a Roman Catholic man be allowed to marry his widow's sister?
13. What occurs once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in an hour?
14. What do you throw out when you want to use it, but take in when you don't want to use it?
15. What can pass before the sun without making a shadow?
16. What can you catch but not throw?
17. Without using a calculator: You are driving a bus from London to Milford Haven (Wales). In London, 17 people get on the bus. In Reading, 6 people get off, 9 people get on. In Swindon, 2 people get off, 4 people get on. In Cardiff, 11 people get off, 16 people get on. In Swansea, 3 people get off, 5 people get on. In Carmarthen, 6 people get off, 3 people get on. The bus then pulls into the Milford Haven bus depot ... What is the name of the bus driver ?
18. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
19. How many birthdays does the average man have?
20. Some months have 31 days. How many have 28?
21. Why can't a man living in the U.S. be buried in Canada?
22. Two men play five games of checkers. Each man wins the same number of games. There are no ties. Explain this.
23. Divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. What is the answer?
24. A man builds a house, rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why?
25. If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?
26. If you have only one match and you walked into a room where there was an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove, which one would you light first?
27. How far can a dog run into the woods?
28. A doctor gives you three pills telling you to take one every half hour. How long would the pills last?
29. A farmer has 17 sheep, and all but 9 die. How many are left?
30. How many animals of each sex did Moses take on the ark?
31. A clerk in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh?
32. How many two-cent stamps are there in a dozen?
33. What was the President's name in 1950?
34. A boat has a ladder that has six rungs, each rung is one foot apart. The bottom rung is one foot from the water. The tide rises at 12 inches every 15 minutes. High tide peaks in one hour. When the tide is at it's highest, how many rungs are under water?
35. How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide, that has been dug with a square edged shovel?
36. A farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in another field. How many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in the center field?
37. If it takes 3 people to dig a hole, how many does it take to dig half a hole?
38. In a certain pond lives a certain water lily the surface of which is doubling every day. Knowing that water lily needs 30 days to fill the whole pond, can you tell how many days it will take for it to fill half of the pond ?
39. You are standing in the corner of a tavern when a man walks up to you. You are cornered and can't get around him. He says. "I want to know about gold in the mountains. I always know when people are lying to me. Tell me a lie, and I'll kill you with a sword. Tell me the truth, and I'll kill you with a bow. Don't speak, or say something off topic, and I'll kill you with a gun" What do you say to stay alive?
40. How many mistakes does the following sentence have? This Sentance containes two misstakes.

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:27 pm

1 mount everest
2 sky?? i dunno
3 every year
4 ???
5 ???
6 infinite
7 90 min = 1 1/2 hours
8 they want the egg to grow up so it is bigger before they eat it?
9 11 maybe? i didnt think about it
10 there are no men there with wooden legs?
11 ???
12 ???
13 ???
14 fishing line
15 ???
16 a cold
17 I dont know
18 yes
19 duh...
20 1
21 by the time he passed security he would have already rotted
22 they were each playing alone
23 70
24 ???
25 3 apples, -2 integers
26 i dont know what an oil burner is - kerosene lamp
27 ???
28 forever
29 9
30 0 - moses didnt go on the ark
31 not given
32 a dozen of what?
33 I dont care to know
34 0
35 none
36 9
37 it only takes one to dig a hole - 1
38 no
39 you didnt say he was armed! id say: "goodday mate, but I'd best be going
40 3

Garnier

Post by Garnier » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:31 pm

from above that:
1. 6 Fs
2. you were bored

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:01 pm

11 out of 40 ! and 1 out of 2. No bad.
Here are your good ones:
1. Mount Everest of course. It just hadn't been discovered!
3. They fall in the same year every year, New Year's Day just arrives very early in the year and Christmas arrives very late in the same year.
7. One hour and a half is 90 minutes.
9. 11 times : 9, 19, 29, 39, 49, 59, 69, 79, 89, 99 (99 = two 9 !)
14. Fishing line : correct (my answer was an Anchor)
16. A cold
18. Yes, right between the 3rd and the 5th !
23. 70 (cause 30 divided by 1/2 = 60)
29. 9
30. None. Noah took them on the ark.
35. None. No matter how big a hole is, it's still a hole -- the absence of dirt. (And those of you who said 36 cubic feet are wrong for another reason, too. You would have needed the length measurement too. So you don't even know how much air is in the hole.)

from the first post:
1. 6 F?s. CONGRATULATIONS to you if you read it only once. Strangely enough, it?s pretty hard to get more than 3.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:20 pm

1. Mount Everest
2. and
3. every year, with new years 1st
4. She is a vicar/registrar or whoever it is that wed people
5. because theres one more
6. infinite, because its always the same sum, or once, because then youve got 20, depending on your interpretation of the Q
7. because and hour and a half IS 90 minutes
8. because penguins live in the antartic
9. taking it literally, none. sematically, 19
10. because you take photos with cameras, not wooden legs
11. they are the same man, or advanced genetic stuff :wink:
12. no, because he would be dead for his wife to be widowed
13. the letter 'm'
15. air
16. a cold
17. andy, because thats my name and im driving
18. yes we do, but we dont celebrate the loss of a colony for some strange reason......
19. one, when he is born
20. all of them
21. he can, he would just be buried alive
22. they arent playing each other
23. 70
24. white, he is on the magnetic north pole
25. 2
26. the match
27. half way, then hes running out
28. if you took one there and then, 90 mins, if you waited before starting, 2 hrs
29. all of them, but only 9 are alive
30. none he wasnt there
31. meat!
32. 12
33. the president
34. 0
35. none
36. one massive haystack
37. you cant have half a hole
38. 29
39. there might be gold in the mountains
40. 4

damn that 14. sometimes it pays off to be pedantic :lol:
________
iolite vaporizer
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:06 pm

Wow! 26 out of 29! :shock: :shock: (I didn?t count the questions when the right answers had been already given ; btw why don?t you read the previous answer for the 9, huh? :wink: ) = EXCEPTIONAL, Andy!!! Indeed you impress me. :!:
Observations : #18: I like your answer? # 37: Right. It's impossible to dig a half of a hole. Either you have a hole, or you don't. #39: Very good. You could also try : ? I shall be killed with a sword! ?? # 40: I count it right for you. Actually there are 5 mistakes... 1. And 2. Sentance : no capital S and a letter e in place of the letter a (= sentence) 3. Containes: no letter e (= contains) 4. Misstakes: only one letter s before the letter t (= mistakes) 5. It claims there are only 2 mistakes, when there are more.

Your answers to questions 11, 28 and 34 were wrong. :( What about my unusual paragraph?

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:19 pm

not a paragraph, its not indented.
I poop, therefore I am.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:35 pm

Let's say "text" so it need not be.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:03 pm

packed full of fragments and there are no contractions. No contrations isnt really "odd" but it makes it easier to read with contractions.. The "text" definately overstates itself, repeating over and over. Which does make it odd and redundant.
I poop, therefore I am.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 pm

As always, the main important question is : WHY? (ye know, not only when we inquire after a reason, but more generally when we get to face absurdity --even when no formal question is being issued.)

TRY AND ANSWER THESE IF YOU DARE : :lol:

- WHY are pizzas delivered to our homes more quickly than ambulances?
- WHY are there parking places for the handicapped persons before skating rinks?
- WHY do people order a double cheeseburger, bit greasy ships and a "light" coke?
- WHY can?t women keep their mouth closed when putting on some mascara?
- WHY is "abbreviation" such a long word?
- WHY do you have to click Start to exit Windows?
- WHY is lemon juice made of synthetic flavors whereas whashing-up liquid is made of actual lemons?
- WHY do they sterilize needles before practising euthanasia?
- How do they say flying is so secure and yet call airports ?terminals??
- WHY do we press harder the remote control buttons when batteries are running flat?
- WHY do we wash bath towels : aren?t we supposed to be clean when we dry ourselves after a bath?
- WHY did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?
- Do the workers at LIPTON?s also have a coffee break?
- WHY do sheep never shrink under the rain?
- WHY must "separated" be written in one word whereas "all together" needs two separated words?
- I would like to buy a new boomerang; how can I get rid of the old one?
- As to establishments that remain open 24 hours a day, WHY do they have locks and bolts?
- WHY din?t that Noah dude squash the two mosquitos ?

And so on? YEAH, WHY???

Bob Janova

Post by Bob Janova » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 pm

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out
No E's.