Knowledge 360!

Anything else! Ideas for new games, gossip, chat, jokes etc...
Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Fighter_Ace wrote: Riddle:
There are three guys stuck on an island? one father and his two sons. But alas, there is a boat, yet it can only hold 200 pounds. The father weighs 200 pounds and each of the boys weigh 100 pounds. How will they ALL get off?
Ok. The two sons get into the boat and sail to some safe destination. Only one of them comes back to the island. Then he gets out of the boat while the father gets into it and sails to the same safe destination. When the father's arrived there, he leaves the boat and the first son uses it in his turn to go to the island and bring back his brother.

Want a riddle? For Albert Einstein, 98% of the people in the world cannot solve the following problem (though actually it seems that this enigma hasn't been written by him). Do you belong to the other 2% ? (those of you who already know the story, beware: I shuffled the data? :wink: )

See that row of houses along the lane over there ? Five men of five different nationalities live in those five houses of five different colours. They smoke five different brands of cigarettes, drink five different types of beverages, and keep five different kind of pets.

* The Swede lives in the first house.
* The Norvegian lives in the red house.
* The Brit keeps a fish as pet.
* The Dane smokes Blend.
* The yellow house is just on the left of the white house.
* The yellow house owner drinks water.
* The man who smokes Pall Mall lives next to the one who keeps dogs.
* The person who smokes Prince rears horses.
* The owner of the green house smokes Blue Master.
* The man living in the house right in the center drinks beer.
* The German drinks tea.
* The man who smokes Pall Mall has a neighbour who drinks milk.
* The Swede lives next to the blue house.
* The man who keeps cats lives next to the man who smokes Blue Master.
* The owner who smokes Dunhill drinks coffee.

The question is ... Who keeps birds?

(to make sure it wasn?t just a lucky try of yours, would you tell me what colour is the house of the one that smokes Prince?)
-- NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST (quite the reverse!) --
LIFE'S A TRAP. WE WON'T GET OUT OF IT ALIVE!

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Garnier, this is MY avatar! :evil: You naughty impudent boy who doesn't know what he is really doing. Forces of the darkness will tear you to shreds!!... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Need one? Let me offer you this one:

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:26 am

Fuzzy Wonky wrote:
Fighter_Ace wrote: Riddle:
There are three guys stuck on an island? one father and his two sons. But alas, there is a boat, yet it can only hold 200 pounds. The father weighs 200 pounds and each of the boys weigh 100 pounds. How will they ALL get off?
Ok. The two sons get into the boat and sail to some safe destination. Only one of them comes back to the island. Then he gets out of the boat while the father gets into it and sails to the same safe destination. When the father's arrived there, he leaves the boat and the first son uses it in his turn to go to the island and bring back his brother.

Want a riddle? For Albert Einstein, 98% of the people in the world cannot solve the following problem (though actually it seems that this enigma hasn't been written by him). Do you belong to the other 2% ? (those of you who already know the story, beware: I shuffled the data? :wink: )

See that row of houses along the lane over there ? Five men of five different nationalities live in those five houses of five different colours. They smoke five different brands of cigarettes, drink five different types of beverages, and keep five different kind of pets.

* The Swede lives in the first house.
* The Norvegian lives in the red house.
* The Brit keeps a fish as pet.
* The Dane smokes Blend.
* The yellow house is just on the left of the white house.
* The yellow house owner drinks water.
* The man who smokes Pall Mall lives next to the one who keeps dogs.
* The person who smokes Prince rears horses.
* The owner of the green house smokes Blue Master.
* The man living in the house right in the center drinks beer.
* The German drinks tea.
* The man who smokes Pall Mall has a neighbour who drinks milk.
* The Swede lives next to the blue house.
* The man who keeps cats lives next to the man who smokes Blue Master.
* The owner who smokes Dunhill drinks coffee.

The question is ... Who keeps birds?

(to make sure it wasn?t just a lucky try of yours, would you tell me what colour is the house of the one that smokes Prince?)
Hey bub! This took me (and my sister) a whole hour, so you better not tell me this is wrong :P ! The Dane keeps birds AND the Norvegian smokes.... *drum roll* PRINCE!!!!!

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:30 am

CRAP! I FORGOT TO LOGIN!!!!! Oops! Anyway... did me (and my sis) get it right? That had to be one of the most amazing riddles EVER! Thanks for the blast, Fuzzy_Wonky. Even if we got it wrong, we had great fun doing it :D !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:22 am

ya but what color is his house?
I poop, therefore I am.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:14 am

Awesome job, Ace. You made it!! :!: :!: Congratulations to you and your sister! :D You definitely both belong to the 2%! :wink:
ima_gnu wrote:ya but what color is his house?
It'll do it as the second clue reads: The Norvegian lives in the red house. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone else wants to try it, I can easily shuffle the data once more for him (in Einstein's original riddle, you'd have to find out who keeps the fish >> The German -- guess why?).

Old Man Johnson

Post by Old Man Johnson » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:38 pm

Derivatives are sort of difficult for me to explain, so I looked it up on Google and this site explains it pretty well (though you'll have to do some browsing around): http://mathforum.org/library/problems/s ... tives.html
ima_gnu wrote:Right triangle, angle A is 36 degrees, angle B is 90 (duh) side AB is 4cm and side BC is 6cm. What is 1) the length of side AC 2) angle C
If I remember correctly, you would be using the sine or cosine rule, right? I don't remember how to do it and it was just last year! Heh, heh.
My webcomic:

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:58 pm

You are correct in that, but which one?
I poop, therefore I am.

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52 am

Old Man Johnson wrote:
ima_gnu wrote:Right triangle, angle A is 36 degrees, angle B is 90 (duh) side AB is 4cm and side BC is 6cm. What is 1) the length of side AC 2) angle C
If I remember correctly, you would be using the sine or cosine rule, right? I don't remember how to do it and it was just last year! Heh, heh.
You don't need to do anything as complicated as the cosine rule http://www.acts.tinet.ie/cosinerule_673.html because it's a simple right angled triangle.

To get AC you just need Pythagoras' theorem, so it's the square root of AB * AB + BC * BC which is sqrt(4*4 + 6*6) = sqrt(16+36) = sqrt (52) = 7.211...

Angle C is 180 degrees minus angle A minus angle B because the sum of all the angles in a triangle is always 180. So it's 180 - 90 - 36 = 54 degrees.

Although you've made a mistake in inventing the lengths and angles and made an impossible triangle. If BC was 6cm and AB was 4cm, then angle A is the inverse TAN of 6cm / 4cm which is 56.3 degrees!

I nearly became a maths teacher when I was younger, but I had a lucky escape...

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:29 pm

Sean O'Connor wrote:I nearly became a maths teacher when I was younger, but I had a lucky escape...
:D So this one is specially for you:
Three men checked into a hotel room for which they paid $30. The next day, the manager realized that the men had been overcharged. She gave the bellhop $5 to return to the three men. On the way to their room the bellhop decided to keep $2 for himself, and give each of the three men one dollar. The three men had now paid $9 each, or a total of $27. This plus the $2 the bellhop kept makes a total of $29. What happened to the other dollar? :wink:

Sean OConnor

Post by Sean OConnor » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:34 pm

There is no "other dollar". If you're looking at things from the hotel's point of view you should be subtracting the $2 from the $27 (not adding) which leaves $25 which is what they end up with.

Fuzzy Wonky

Post by Fuzzy Wonky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:56 pm

:lol: :lol: You're not easily destabilized...

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Old Man Johnson wrote:Uh...isn't..."f(x)" the same thing as "y"?
no. if you have y=blah its a curve, blah=number/more blah its an equation, blah on its own is an equation. f(x) is the notation for some blah (x^2 + 3x + 4 etc), used to write it rather than writing the whole blah again. also allows a simpler form of notation for things to be done to it.

Old Man Johnson wrote:Ok, what about some pre-calculus?

If f(x) = 3x(squared dammit) + 2x + 1, what is the derivative (f'(x))? And what is a derivative anyway?
use ^ for 'to the power of' - x squared is x^2.

if you want the f'(x) (the derivitive of f(x) then its 6x + 2, but if you want the derivitive of f'(x) its 6.

f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x + 1 = the curve

f'(x) = dy/dx = 6x + 2 = the gradient

f''(x) = d^(2)y/dx^(2) = 6 = the change of the gradient

or something like that. calculus A-level exam wednesday.......
________
medical marijuana doctor
Last edited by Andy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ima_gnu

Post by ima_gnu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:33 am

Sean O'Connor wrote:

Although you've made a mistake in inventing the lengths and angles and made an impossible triangle. If BC was 6cm and AB was 4cm, then angle A is the inverse TAN of 6cm / 4cm which is 56.3 degrees!

Ya, I know, but I couldnt remember the lengths of the stuffs in the book. And it wasnt that easy, I think it didnt give me any angle sizes. I dont remember :P
I poop, therefore I am.

Fighter_Ace
Location: Sacramento, CA, United States of America - Also can be found somewhere in the land of 1's and 0's

Post by Fighter_Ace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:36 pm

Fuzzy Wonky wrote:Awesome job, Ace. You made it!! :!: :!: Congratulations to you and your sister! :D You definitely both belong to the 2%! :wink:
Aw, thanks! But for real, it just takes time and patience. I'll bet anyone could do it if they set their mind to it. Wanna know something really weird though? There is actually a mathimatical explanation to it! Can you imagine that?! It just baffles my imagination :P . I just love the riddles ya dig up, Fuzzy_Wonky! Too cool!

P.S. I HIGHLY recommend to everyone else ya give it a shot! Great fun!

Brain Teasers:

Which line (A or B) continues to the other side? To many people it looks like it is A, but if you hold up a ruler you will see that it is B.

This figure has conflicting depth cues, so it becomes unstable as you look at it. Depending on which part looks closer at the moment, you should be able to see a chair-like figure, or a floating block.

In spite of what your eyes may be telling you, the smaller off-center circle is actually perfectly round.

Look at lines A and B. Which one is bigger? They are actually the same size. This is because the size of objects is sometimes distorted based on the context in which they are seen.

Are the holes on the inside or outside?

Now did that give your brain a break from the math? Can ya think much more clearly now? Good for you :lol: !
My thanks and best regards to all my former submitters.